What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

aquaponics

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
shipperke... I have been trying to find info on this for ages... will probably pm you as time goes on and I'm setting up my own -ponics setup... if thats alright with you ? :)
I also read about guppyponics years ago with submerged plants ...know anything about this????
Thanks for the great article ...subscribed for sure!
PEACE

G

Hey delta,

I'd prefer to keep it public so the info is available. In any case I'd be glad to help.

Re: submerged plants, do you mean aquatic plants? I had some nice pics of my planted aquarium at another site but I'm not sure I can find them now.

My current thinking is that using some kind of perlite-based medium and watering by hand is the best setup for a hobby garden. Once you figure out what kind of watering frequency the plants need, you can set up an ebb/flood or drip system, but I like to use a greenhouse watering wand attached to a 1/4 hp sump pump. Simple, effective, very few moving parts to go wrong.

Aeric, are you THE aeric from back in the day??? Regardless, nice to see you're interested in aqua. I think it's the sodium-from-kelp hypothesis is technically true, but I believe the bulk of the Na is coming from the herring/smelt derived fish pellets. Switching to earthworms and crickets for the bulk of the diet, and dumping 10% of the solution weekly, solved the problem completely.

I'll be around when I can, keep those questions coming, the system is really rewarding when everything finally clicks.

Ciao,
/ship

Delta9-THC

Veteran
Ship... public is fine with me.. lol I just am definately ... in the process of setting one up so at some point I'll need the help...!

BTW They were ganj! and I think it was in a Red-Eye mag... one of the earlier issuses.... fully submerged under the water ...

sea-"weed" lol
PEACE

G

Heya Ship!

Long time no see - You'll know me by this barrel....

I trust you had a good festive season. Mine was expectedly stoned hehe.

I disliked your having put fish in with some full strength nutes as I thought it inhumane... I also thought it voids the idea of losing the dependance on nutes/visiting nute stores/postage...

But then I'm not qualified to know the toxicity levels for fish or even the ingredients of what the nutes were.

Also, that being said, I use 1/40th strength EJ range in my Aqua. It has certainly helped. It in fact kicks ass.

The formula I've devised is fairly simple. There are many areas to tweak and consider upon. 1:2:4.

1 lb (500 grams) fish
2 gallons medium ((9 litres) - (volume of space taken equivalent to same measure of water)) *
4 sq feet (600mm x 600mm) growspace

Plus EJ nutes range (Grow, Bloom, Meta K, Microblast, Catalyst), mixed 1/40th strength in proportions as directed for bloom, bubbled 24 hours in advance. Added twice weekly.

*Medium weight can change dramatically hence the volume measure.

I wish to side by side test conventional pre-treatment of aqua water and adding partial nutes. But...

The biggest problem I've always had with my grow has been cashflow. No test equipment to report more accurately what is happening in my water.

I will rectify this eventually but have an outdoor Aqua greenhouse in progress and this is a fund drainer (that will then fill my fridge as long as I'm here) :woohoo:

Getting hammered by insects lately. Such is life...

:bat:

G

Hmmm... you have me guessing THSeek.

As far as I can tell, ammonia and nitrite are really the only things that fish dislike, the micros and phosphate aren't a problem. Organics are of course preferable, but it's nice to know that the fish don't mind GH.

I have another statistic for you, the University of Virgin Islands found that feeding 57g of 35% protein feed per square meter of growspace per day kept their lettuce happy...

Chaman

Very, very nice read indeed. Thanks for take'n the time to share such priceless info with us. I have many plans to start some Aguaponics as i've been play'n with fish since an early age, and plants since I got high or the first time jejej was always a natureboy, but it all came together after that first hit must say :)

If I comealong any trouble it's good to know i might be able to find some friendly advice here.

Jah guide and protect all.
Chaman

G

Heya Ship!

Still loving every minute of my Aqua.

I have finally joined the 20th century and purchased myself a nitrate and pH testing kit.

My first test resulted in a pH of 6.2-6.3 at midday in the light cycle. My 24 hours settled tap water gives a pH of 7. I added 5% total system volume of water and got a pH reading of 6.3-6.4.

My nitrate read at 160 ppm! The water temp is 72.

Is this safe? Are there other tests I should get in order to start compiling good relevant data?

I now have roughly 2kg goldfish in 40 gallons water, 6 gallons bio-medium, 1 sq metre foliage. DWC recirculating system veg and bloom 2:1.

Are my fish getting too big? I can't add more plants it becomes bigger than a personal grow then.

Should I test nitrite and ammonia? My bio-filter is nearly 2 1/2 years old and it looks clean as a stream in there but water is a very light yellow tea when held to the light, has been for the duration.

Perhaps I need a higher veg ratio of foliage? I've run with no water changeouts, only top-ups approx 10 galls per week, for a year or so, so any imbalance has taken a long time to surface.

Growth is explosive, fish and plants.

Here's two clones I was sexing, then thought what the hell leave them in flower see what happens. They were 2-3 inches tall 2 weeks before the photo.

Got roughly 5 ozs from them but it was fluffy due to bad ventilation (now solved)

G

The NO3 levels are probably a little higher than necessary but I am not sure of that, I know that below 100 ppm you will start to get yellowing, but I am not sure what the upper limit is. Most greenhouses dose their fertilizer at 200 ppm nitrate. The goldfish will be fine, if they were trout or bass you might have some health issues over time but carp can handle about anything. If you wanted to get fancy you could test phosphate and iron but I think it's unnecessary, if you have a P deficiency the plants will be stunted and if you lack Fe you will get yellowing between the leaf veins.

I like the ammonia testing cards, it has a blue circle in the middle that turns white if any detectable ammonia is present. Or maybe it is white and turns blue, I'm sure you can figure it out if you find one.

re: veg and flower ratio, I am not sure, more research is needed... ;)

G

Nice, thank you for the prompt reply. I suspect I should supplement iron will get some from a chemist to ensure purity. Fish products are so annoying, 1 decent product with 3 snake oils added...

No P problem the plants aren't stunted they're ballistic!

Delta9-THC

Veteran
so how would I go about making a bio-filter?
I have a cold water tank with a filter and airstones , am thinking goldies is the best way
I have a heater/thermometer for stabilising the temp in the res for the plants and I still dont quite get how to get the water from the fishtank ready for the plants.
thanks ship
Peace

Delta9-THC

Veteran
can goldfish live in the dark? I also have a waterfarm and was wondering if keeping them in the reservoir of it would work , again I wonder if I would need to adapt the drip feed up pipe with a bio filter or somekind?
and wouldnt the drip keep being blocked by fish waste?

Peace

Curly

Thanks for sharing all that info shipperke.

I've been playing with a small aqua setup for about 9 months, just growing herbs and vegies with guppies and rainbowfish in the tanks. Soon we hope to build on a larger scale to provide a steady supply of fish, vegies and buds.

Here's a great resource, but i'll warn ya, there's no buds in there :crazy:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/index.php

:joint:

puronerd

when i grow up i want to be like you hahaha. really though intresting stuff. ill give myself some growing room before DEFINETLY doing that

G

Delta 9 - make an ebb and flow system or continuous flow with Aquaponics. The beds are the bio-filter. You can add worms to the beds too and they'll live in them doing their extra bit for the ecosystem.

Goldfish can live in the dark but it's not so good for them. They will end up blind and very pale, not so healthy...

Goldfish in the reservoir would supplement an organic grow nicely.

robstar - Yes - you can use straight fish water on potted plants - high in nitrate so better for veg than flower but plants still use N in flower.

PAGreen

Wow. This is amazingly interesting. It must be extremely hard to control all of the different aspects while essentially creating and maintaining your own ecosystem.

How would you say that aquaponically grown medicine compares to organic aeroponically grown medicine; in regards to smell, taste, and strength?

BonsaiBud

My mom asked me why I don't convert my growboxes to aquaponic :confused:
Well, as it is, I can pull one plug, shut the closet door, and nobody would have any reason to ask to look inside. It is my bedroom cloest after all. Now, if I had two 1 inch water hoses running from a medium sized fishtank into my closet... :angrymod:
Well, I plan to do an aquaponic something, be it buds or legals. I'd really like to put it in the living room and just have a lock on the stand doors. "My filtration system is very complex and I don't want my drunk friends messing with it when they come here on weekends and get all drunk and are like, 'letz git the fish drunk dude :spank: '"

brb, gotta test the water in my community tank.

By the way, I asked some experts about the PH indicator loach. They replied, "If your PH changes so much that your fish changes color, your tank has problems. You shouldn't let it change that much, ever."