What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED's could you build them yourself?

I know the answer is obviously yes as there are people out there who are handy when it comes to wiring, circuit boards etc. For your average person though, would it be too hard a task to build an LED panel? All the parts needed are available at electronics shops so I figure if someone with the knowledge could draw up easy to read plans then it couldn't be all that hard. Is there anybody here who has thought of doing this? if so, would it be something your average bloke could do if plans were available or would the cost of buying the LED's, wiring etc. make it a pointless venture?

SupraSPL

I've never really soldered anything before but I was able to put together a complex DIY LED on the first try, so it is possible.

There are some pretty good LEDs on the market already, in particular I like LEDGirl's Hydro-Grow 63 and 126 watters. She's getting about $4.5 per watt for the small lamps. A DIY with top bins could possibly get you $3 per watt if you have a hook up for the bare LEDs. When you consider how many hours you will spend designing and building it, 4.5/watt could be tough to beat. (Comparing $/watt might not be a great way to compare LED lamps tho, it very much depends on the bins used, wavelengths and ratios and how hard they are being driven.)

Therefore it would have to depend on your particular situation. The reason I built my own was because I wanted to spread the light out a bit and go with a short LSTd canopy. So I used passive cooling (150cm2/watt) and my lamp is lenseless.

I am also very big on minimizing wattage. Thanks to KNNAs careful plans, I was able to maximize efficiency using adjustable drivers to run the reds a bit softer than the white/blue string.

LED really shines in small grows. 70 watt HPS lamps are not terribly efficient and HPS lumen maintenance is pretty weak. When you consider the cost of replacing bulbs and the difference in electrical consumption, the LED could pay for itself even at current prices (especially if you are getting 1.5 grams/watt or better, consistently for 10 years or more!)

This chart is assuming these leds are being driven hard, they can do better than what is shown if you use enough heatsink:
LumenMaintenanceCurves.jpg

lm-graph_0005.jpg

Awesome responses.!. f&ck me... I wasn't expecting anything special in terms of the responses I got but you guys have made my day. I asked the question in the first place because I'd like to supplement the LED panels I bought (only 15W weak lil things) with some side lighting or lighting from different positions to make sure I'm getting light to the bottom branches and anywhere else they don't reach. I am using a 130W flouro with the 2 panels in a really small (.9X.5X1.6) tent. I want to maximize my yields without adding heat and without having to buy something that may not fit my needs, hence the need to build from scratch. Big thanks to the both of you, your advice/info has helped re-shape my plans for supplemental lighting for my tent. I'm stoked that I'll be able to add LED lighting built to fit my situation as I hate heat. Hopefully in time I'll have an LED only set-up that won't eat up power, create excess heat or heat spots and can grow as well or better than the HID's I've used in the past. Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated... M_M

M

MerryPrankstr

A very good discussion and decription of High Watt emmiter LED lamp construction. Each LED has 15 watts output. Talk about better penetration!

This lamp was tested head to head against Hawaiian natural sunlight in a practical grow and WON! Cost was about $500.00 for parts.

Click here for post

M.P.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A very good discussion and decription of High Watt emmiter LED lamp construction. Each LED has 15 watts output. Talk about better penetration!

This lamp was tested head to head against Hawaiian natural sunlight in a practical grow and WON! Cost was about $500.00 for parts.

Click here for post

M.P.
yea, that 500 bucks part is what killed that for me. that and the fact i would be spending hours making it. I have the 63 watt hgl and likely will get another.

I would have thought that intense sunlight would do better than any artificial light(quality of smoke not quantity), maybe not? I do not see how a 15 watt led penetrates better than 15 1 watt leds?

yea, that 500 bucks part is what killed that for me. that and the fact i would be spending hours making it. I have the 63 watt hgl and likely will get another.

I would have thought that intense sunlight would do better than any artificial light(quality of smoke not quantity), maybe not? I do not see how a 15 watt led penetrates better than 15 1 watt leds?

same way a 1000w hps penetrates more than 7 150w hps. A more intense light has more penetration, more less intense lights have better coverage.