What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunkman Sam's Secret Dry Sift 2009

ganja din

What I want to know is where did the idea come from for Sams kif? I highly doubt HE came up with the idea all on his lonesome...anit gonna happen IMO especially that Sam is we'll versed in analytical sciences (GC, etc).

I would bet $100 he got his idea from scholarly lit (eg. journal articles). Especially in his own words [sic]"you can wait for my machine, or discover the method yourself". Let's not attribute this to Sam, until we KNOW it was his idea alone. It an insult to those scientists who (probably) came up with the idea/method.

ganja din

Too all,

I think we should be looking at journal articles, not just taking a bong hit and waiting for some random thought to pop into our respective heads. If we all work together to do *research* we could probably figure it out.

For my part I don't really care. I am going to try using my suggestion of bubblebags and aspirator for bubble kif! Forget bubble hash...

I for one prefer a solvent-free butane extract as medicine. To much crap is in raw cannabis smoke.

bubbleman

Veteran
Nice to see the discussion moving along...
I will only say this... I dont know sam's method at all.. but it would seem as though its quite simple... as he has written in his own words that he accidently discovered this process in africa.. So.... i am not sure he had high tech sifters available to him.. and im certain they weren't rocking out in a laboratory.
Just my two cents...

Would be nice to see some experiements from you guys... i mean i love din's information he's laying down.. but he doesnt have any herb to play around with to try these idea's out on. Maybe some of you guys with herb and trim ... can start playing around....
and show us some pics.... i know you guys have pics of your dry sift...

Peace
Bubble man

Ps.. Keep it simple!!

ganja din

Bingo! What do I win??? ;)

If Sam used any method I bet it's this. This method uses the same principle as I put forth as in feeezeing, etc, for dry sift.
I am definitely trying this simple and inexpensive method!

"A Rapid Method for Isolating Glandular Trichomes"

Ellen H. Yerger, Richard A. Grazzini, David Hesk, Diana L. Cox-Foster, Richard Craig and Ralph O. Mumma

Full text: http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/99/1/1
A physical method is described for the rapid isolation of plant trichomes, with emphasis on stalked glandular types. The technique involved breaking frozen trichomes with powdered dry ice and collection of glandular heads by sieving from larger tissue fragments. This method was applied to several plants that bear similar stalked trichomes: geranium (Pelargonium), potato (Solanum tuberosum), tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum), squash (Cucurbita pepo), and velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti). The tissue preparation was of sufficient quality without further purification for biochemical and molecular studies. The preparation maintained the biochemical integrity of the trichomes for active enzymes and usable nucleic acids. A large quantity of tissue can be harvested; for example, 351 milligrams dry weight of glandular trichomes were harvested from geranium pedicels in 12 hours. The utility of the technique was demonstrated by examining the fatty acid composition of tall glandular trichomes of geraniums, Pelargonium xhortorum L.H. Bailey. These purified cells contained high concentrations of unusual ?5-unsaturated fatty acids, proportionally 23.4% of total fatty acids in the trichomes. When the trichomes were removed, the supporting tissue contained no ?5-fatty acids, thereby unequivocally localizing ?5-fatty acids to the trichomes. Because ?5-fatty acids are unique precursors for the biosynthesis of ?5-anacardic acids, we conclude that anacardic acid synthesis must occur in the glandular trichomes

Dkgrower

Veteran
Smoking some hash made from 100 kg kif output 700 grams pure heads.
Still think that the old traditional way spiced up with good genes and desent growing conditions can produce what ever quality you want, in the case with the above mentioned hash it was produced in marocco by one person who made it with silk screens and bless him

I think that glass balls is going the wrong direction stick with poly or silk meshes
and focus more on finding a good strain, that matures and produces alot off nice well defined glandular trichomes

Bom shiva

Seneca

Anyone want to do my homework and solve the problem, so I can be 1st to market and commercially produce it?

Sam your sift is beyond words, Bubbleman excellent macro photos.

R

Red Swan

Man, bubble hash gets me so stoned I forget my train of thought.

Of all the things to put your energy into. Time to go kiss a girl. Really people.

SoloGro57

I wonder if the specific gravity of the heads makes any difference. Doesn't have to be in water... could be in something else (I have no idea what). Kind of like the way a zombie cocktail is made. Different cordials have different specific gravities, making it possible to pour a drink with multiple layers. Does this make any sense to anybody?

ganja din

@solo and others,

Did you not read my last post??? I think I already solved the mystery! That method is:

frozen cannabis > powder dry ice to remove mostly heads > using screen to separate heads

Done! That is the method I would bet. It fits all criteria bubbleman layed out (eg. Simplicity and something which he could do in Africa without a lab.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Dry ice in Africa what a hoot LOL. Just curious, have you been to Africa? I've never even seen Dry Ice in Johannesburg, and that's even one of the more modern cities

ganja din

Me? no. But dude, dry ice can be made with a little machine that's not very expensive. Dry ice is found all over the world, its very ubiquitous. Its especially useful for poor countries with little refrigeration.

I have no doubt he had access to dry ice in Africa. This method is a real method that he could do in Africa, and its simple, no cell disruptors, electrostatic, unltrasonics, etc.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
@solo and others,

Did you not read my last post??? I think I already solved the mystery! That method is:

frozen cannabis > powder dry ice to remove mostly heads > using screen to separate heads

Done! That is the method I would bet. It fits all criteria bubbleman layed out (eg. Simplicity and something which he could do in Africa without a lab.

Yep, basic tweaks to make pure hash, not hard at all..you are definitely on to something, and yes, even in the middle of the jungle on both continents there is dry Ice, it stores for many days and doesn't make a mess, perfect for 3rd world countries. People think Africa is like a jungle, ah ignorance is bliss..

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems little use of dry ice in the UK outside industry and not readily available.

Remember years back a local radio station had a competition involving people sitting on blocks of ice like some nasty japanese gameshow of the era , they mistakenly used blocks of dry ice and were sued to hell for third degree burns and permanent scarring that several suffered.
Its probably been banned for being too cold under creeping health and safety legislation.

ganja din

I don't know about UK but its not banned or regulated in the US AFAIK. I think people are unaware of its ubiquity because we never go looking for it. One can buy a dry ice maker for relative inexpense to make at home. Its not dangerous unless idiots use it (like on the game show), gloves are needed. Its used for 'fogging' in elementary school science, we used to be given thick gloves to handel it with.

ganja din

Cool,

That paper is a must read IMO, great info!

I went through it and developed a method we could probably use while processing more cannabis than via other methods. I highly suggest people read that paper. The paper details a lot of other methods to isolate trich heads, while the dry ice method seems most ideal for us and for yield. It seems crushed/powdered dry ice is rather selective to trich heads...

I am more convinced than ever this is the method Sam uses. IIRC Sam claims a ~1% yield of trich heads. The same figure was found by the researchers in that paper, 0.1-1.7% yield of trich heads.

In that paper the authors use liquid nitrogen (-190'C) to freeze the flowers. They did this to retain as much enzymes as possible. However, we only need to freeze the cannabis, so -18'C for 24 hours should be sufficient.

There is no need for a homogenizer because the authors used it with an aqueous solution. My method uses no water or other solvent.

My method also doesn't use a vortex machine to vortex the mixture of dry ice and cannabis. One can use a vortex machine but they are expensive, so I am suggesting a magnetic stir plate with magnetic stir cage (not bar). The stir cage should not damage the trich heads IMO, it is rounded and soft plastic coating. The cage size should be able to create a vortex much better than a bar with non-aqueous compounds.

Materials:

Floating stir bar: $25 http://www.fungi.com/tools/liquid.html

Magnetic stir plate: $98 http://www.sci-bay.com/catalog.asp?prodid=350680&showprevnext=1

DIY magnetic stir plate: $free http://brewiki.org/StirPlate

Quart bell jar: $2 a piece

Window screen with 1.4 mm pore size

Screens on frames from with micron pore size around 200-250, 100-150, 20-25 and 10-15 (depends upon size of heads verses stalks; Bubbleman??)

Block of dry ice

Hammer, chisel and paper towel

Big cheese grader

Method:

1. Place cannabis in freezer bag with air pump (ex. from walmart) and express air but do not damage cannabis. Put in freezer at -18'C (0'F) for 24 hours, or until frozen.

One should be able to use fresh harvested, or long cured cannabis.

2. Crush/pulverize fresh dry ice to chunks about hand size. Use cheese grader to powder the dry ice (wear proper gloves!), or maybe a food processor may work?

3. Put magnetic stir cage in quart jar. Then put 200-300 ml cannabis (lightly broken up into popcorn size) into jar. And finally add 10-15% more powdered dry ice to the jar verses cannabis (vol/vol).

4. Start stir plate and increase speed until a small vortex forms. Keep vortex for 15-60 seconds. If no vortex forms try removing some of the cannabis/dry ice mix. That magnetic stirrer reaches 1,000 rpm which isn't shabby.

5. Pour contents of jar onto wire mesh window screen with 1.4 mm pore size. Turn jar upside down and tap bottom with wooden object, softly. Then lightly and quickly sift onto next size screen.

6. Lightly and quickly sift through progressively smaller pore sizes. Maybe a 20-25 micron, or 10-15 micron pore size is ideal to collect heads only (Bubbleman?).
    Maybe this:
    1.4 mm > 200-250 micron > 70-75 micron > 20-25 micron > 10-15 micron > dry

7. After heads are sifted on small pore size one must dry the heads. Maybe place in a dark space at 70-75'F with fan at 30-50% RH.

8. Collect and enjoy

That's just sounds so easy! I hope it works

important note:

Dry ice needs to be fresh. If not H2o condenses on top of ice which makes the dry ice less selective for trich heads.

Opinions?

Latest posts

Latest posts