What's new

HONEY OIL !DENATURED STYLE

Bram, I sure would be interested in your recipe! What percentage of alchol is the isoprophyll you use? Where I'm from the isoprophyll is 50% I believe. Thats whats on the shelf at the stores.

G

Lou, I recommend leaving the solvent to evaporate naturally in a dry room with proper ventilation to outside. Put a fan on it to speed up the evaporation process. Once all the visible iso has evaporated, let it sit in say the cupboard above the stove where its nice and warm. Now leave it there for 2-3 days and wow, no solvent taste. It just tastes and smells like turpentene loaded full melt :yummy: The odor on oil prepared this way actually would be the only concern, as depending on the strain this shit can stink.

Urban, I always use either butane, acetone, or 99% isoprophyll for my honey oils. As I said earlier I will post an iso oil and thread and I will also do an acetone thread and a butane thread. I think the acetone thread will be the one to amaze tho, as I have heard alot of people knock acetone as a solvent.

Last edited:

kilacaLIbud

ok...lets not bring the iso into play here ...this recipie is strickly medical club uses...acetone..iso...ect...not safe...this is a known chemist recipie.! from a norcal medclub...denatured will not! leave residue...unlike acetone ..deff iso and butane..
also i dotn think those solvents change the DELTA THC>...and leaving at room temp....will take forever!!

G

Ive made oil using Acetone before and i dont think it was that healthy(no duh).I mean i simmmer it down then strain it the put it in a big stainless steel bowl,then i use a hairdryer to evaporate the Acetone(dont think u could ever completly evaporate) then let it sit out for a night.It was really strong and good but i was always worried about the health effects so i quit makin it that way.I used to really like it though,maybe ill try it this way(with the denatured ).DWW :joint:

kilacaLIbud

i wish trukemist would pop his head in here and give some cents..here is a orj posted quote from him..

For those of you, who are unfamiliar with this term:
Denatured:
adj : changed in nature or natural quality; for example, "denatured alcohol"
The chemical bonds within the alcohol have been weakend and this increases it's affinity for polar molecules, which attracts more delta-9-THC while decreasing it's boiling point.
Fact is that hexane and butane make better solvents, but both are not readily available to consumers for purchase, while denatured alcohol's can be found at hardware stores and pharmacies. I look forward to your tutorial kilacaLI! peace, tRu

G

Kilaca, you dont want to change to Delta properties, that is why you let the solvent evapourate. This keeps the crystals in delta-9 thc form, and can also techinically be considered alive, since I know Soma has done some discussions on how trichomes are 'living' up until they have reached a temperature of 107 degrees farenheit. When kept in this 'living' delta-9 form, you get the most potent product. Why do you think bubblehash kicks ass so much? Because you havent caused the trichomes to 'die' or release some of the turpentenes and more potent forms of thc to vapourise. If you over cook your oil you basically just turn it into CBD. As for acetone leaving trace elements, I dont see how that is since the medical patients I make oil for actually prefer the acetone oil over anything else. Reason for this is that it is the oil that tastes the cleanest to them, even cleaner than butane, and some of these people are allergic to almost everything; resulting in allergic reactions to most solvent extractions. So far there have been no allergic reactions to the acetone oil.

kilacaLIbud

still not done evaping...and i got another pyrex bowl to evaporate... full so it will be a lil later before its done.

tRuKemist

Lookin good kila! Your latest batch looks like some chlorophyll sacs got through the filter...you might wanna use a couple coffee filters next time and pour slowly so no solution gets over the side of the filter! Let me know if you have a question kila since this is your thread bro...peace, tRu

kilacaLIbud

this time the liquid did change color fast ...when i was straining it...but iono it still looks like tha same thing as befor..but i did alot more last time..alsso i did it myself this time...and it deff is a 2 man job.... :wink:

Blowmonkey

Bram said:
Kilaca, you dont want to change to Delta properties, that is why you let the solvent evapourate. This keeps the crystals in delta-9 thc form, and can also techinically be considered alive, since I know Soma has done some discussions on how trichomes are 'living' up until they have reached a temperature of 107 degrees farenheit. When kept in this 'living' delta-9 form, you get the most potent product. Why do you think bubblehash kicks ass so much? Because you havent caused the trichomes to 'die' or release some of the turpentenes and more potent forms of thc to vapourise. If you over cook your oil you basically just turn it into CBD.

I think you smoked too much of your oil. :friends:

THC = Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and it can't be changed into "Delta properties". The trichomes (or crystals) consist of all kinds of things, waxes, cannabinoids, terpenoids, flavonoids, etc. Not just THC. Trichomes aren't "living up" until some given temperature, but if I'm assuming this right; maybe you meant something with decarboxylation..(?) There aren't many "more potent forms of THC" found in cannabis, maybe 11-OH-THC; mostly active with oral consumption, but it does not vaporize when it's being extracted. THC oxidizes into CBN, not CBD.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The honey oil i have seen has always been honey colored not green or amber ...... havent ever seen honey oil made with alcohol... I thought the absence of chlorophyl is what made it honey .... of course every one has their own interpretation i guess :)

G

Mrs.Babba, that is why you freeze the alcohol before hand as well as the trim. This helps to prevent chlorophylls from being released. And all the honey oil I have ever seen made is golden yellow through the entire process, except for when on the the plant still.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the day I remember the honey oil was made with a type of ether which evaporated very fast and for some reason didnt bring the chlorophyl with it.... dont remember exactly I just know I always preferred the taste of the afaghani made with grain alcohol but it was very amber colored....the honey always seem to leave the flavor with the color

G

To my understanding, the majority of yesteryears true honey oil was made with chlorophorm (sp?). All the water clarity honey that I have smoked tho was either made with butane or CO2. Most oil makers tend to avoid ether tho because A) They dont know it can be used, and B) it is EXTREMELY explosive, moreso then butane.

kilacaLIbud

all i got 2 say is ...the smoke speaks for itself....looks smooookss.....its smokes extremely smooth and dank choke ur lungs to death and slobber all over ur pants....ive smoked it out of a oil burner and a bongload and its still crosses ur eyes..iv got a bunch of older folks ..50's 60's that can call it out right when i whip it out...."O thats the honey oil..i remeber that from the good old days...

G

yes, I find it has alot more to do with taste and potency with the old timers as to what they call Honey oil. The ones I know on the island in there 50's are all about butane honey oil because they can make a batch in like 25 mins :biglaugh: and it tears everyones brains and lungs out with thc gooeyness. I cant wait to see how the taste is with the denatured.