What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying in Low Humidity

Goats

Hello folks,

Harvested a couple of white cookies last night, and the buds are hanging now, but humidity is sitting around 35%. I'm worried they're going to dry too fast.

Hey do you guys handle this situation?

RoostaPhish

Veteran
yes a humidifier works but needs to be controlled well. usually leaving all leaves on while drying can alleviate the situation well also. which is my preferred way to do it anyways.

G

I dry in a low humidity area too. I hang the whole plant in small area with modest airflow. After a 3-5 days the leaf stem seems pretty dry and I will limb them and put whole branch/buds into large paper bags. I'll open up the bag 1x/day mix up the buds for a little air circulation. Keep doing that for 3-5 days until I put them in the jars or freezer to cure. I think your air is less humid than mine so keep an eye on things.
Drying/curing is a skill to hone. I learned with each round.
OC

SpaceJunkOG

get a humidifier at amazon or walmart like those before me said.

my area is also average 35% humidity. you can get away with it, but the difference is night and day between drying in 35% humidity and drying in 65% humidity with the help of a little $50 humidifier. you can dry twice as slowly and ending up with a superior product going into the curing jars. obviously temp is important too. 65/65 is a nice easy-to-remember rule. 65RH/65F.

adding a humidifier to my drying room reduced my cure times by about 30% if i had to put a number on it - the slower-dry reduces the time needed for curing. and when the drying time is measured in days and the curing time is measured in months - well, it seems most logical to put one's energy into extending the drying days to reduce the curing months.

i think it was Kyle Kushman who i once read said he thought drying / curing was a harder process to learn and nail down to perfection than actually growing. i agree with this sentiment.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Low humidity just means greater vigilance, at least for me. I'll go to the jars a little early, let the moisture wick more evenly thru the buds overnight, then pull it out & dry some more on big cookie sheets. Just burping the jars has little effect. That usually happens more than once until the RH in the jars holds in the 60-65% range for 24 hrs. I add a large 62% boveda pack for insurance & let it rest in a cool dark place for a month or so. I store it indefinitely the same way. It's a variant of simon's cure from his thread "A perfect cure every time".

People who harvest more than a few plants use more advanced methods, I'm sure.

mufinman

Low humidity just means greater vigilance, at least for me. I'll go to the jars a little early, let the moisture wick more evenly thru the buds overnight, then pull it out & dry some more on big cookie sheets. Just burping the jars has little effect. That usually happens more than once until the RH in the jars holds in the 60-65% range for 24 hrs. I add a large 62% boveda pack for insurance & let it rest in a cool dark place for a month or so. I store it indefinitely the same way. It's a variant of simon's cure from his thread "A perfect cure every time".

People who harvest more than a few plants use more advanced methods, I'm sure.
yes, vigilance. that is one of the things, that I try to avoid. I've let myself down too many times to continue the charade of vigilance.
In my world. I've even for the most part have given up the bottles and just use the brown paper bags..

Jhhnn

Veteran
yes, vigilance. that is one of the things, that I try to avoid. I've let myself down too many times to continue the charade of vigilance.
In my world. I've even for the most part have given up the bottles and just use the brown paper bags..

Everybody's balance point is a little different. To each their own.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
In Florida low humidity mostly occurs in the winter, 35% give or take. The rest of the year, RH is 65%>100%. Have a dehumidifier set at 65%RH that sends condensate (basically RO water) into an 8 gallon container, that container feeds the humidifier. The humidifier is set at 55%. At night (lights off) when the humidity goes up over 55%, dehumidifier goes on and condensate feeds that 8gal container. Lights on, RH goes down and humidifier goes on. All this is controlled by environmental controllers in the grow room.