What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NEEM

Holeshot

Hi all at IC MAG . Anyone one here growing Neem at all. They grow slowly in our area . I think once they get settled they will florish.They certain don't like a lot of rain in winter. I chew on the stems will potting up or gardening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13

waveguide

Veteran
i had a bunch from seed in arizona, they were quite healthy, and i was surprised that at a few months of age, they took some frost.

then our "winter" went on, and the cold wiped them out :) i figure, if you can't keep the rain off them, make sure they have a well draining medium i guess.

think i've bought two loads of seed since then, no luck.

Holeshot

Hey WG. They are certainly beautiful trees once established. Can you have them indoor in winter.The one I have now is grafted, it was totally deciduous in winter.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
never grew them,,, but they would prob grow well here in san diego..mild temps and barely any rain...I could always put them in my greenhouse till they got a decent size.....yeehaw

Holeshot

Unless they are in a tropical environment , they are unlikely to seed. The leaves , stems and bark are still very useful

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neem trees are native to India which is a tropical environment if I recall correctly.

Check Wikipedia. Anything north of Mid to South FL(30 degrees latitude?) probably wouldn't be a good area to grow them outside of a green house, supplied with some sort of heat/humidity.

Holeshot

No it's bad for insects. Ha ha.leaves and bark are good for blood detox, stomach ulcers, skin problems. People brush their teeth with the twigs. Very good anti bacterial and anti fungal.

luvaduck

I grow neem in the tropics, north queensland. It grows very vigorously. The plan is to trim the tree annually and add to compost, and to mix cut foliage into the soil before laying fallow.

gardener60

replay

replay

I am glad i came to this forum. Until now i thought Neem was just made from the bark of trees. I did not know there was actually a neem plant. Learn something new every day.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I have a bunch of neem seedlings growing that I bought as sprouts from neemtreefarms.com. It was about $20 for 30 sprouts and only a couple of them didnt survive the transplant. They are the best source for live neem plants, ranging from sprouts to actual trees.

I bought my first neem plant from Horizon Herbs in Oregon about a year prior, but they no longer carry them. It did arrive broken completely in Half from HH though it still survived.

If you ever chewed on the branches or leaves you can see why insects wouldnt like it, its extremely bitter. They will grow anywhere that doesnt get a frost.

My tallest tree is 6ft and I keep topping it to get it to bush out more. I just add the leaves and branches to my worm bin to compost. Hoping to get one in the ground soon as I find a suitable permanent location on my property.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Check Wikipedia. Anything north of Mid to South FL(30 degrees latitude?) probably wouldn't be a good area to grow them outside of a green house, supplied with some sort of heat/humidity.

I'm at 27N and mine are growing well. A buddy gave me a seedling 5-6 years ago and I put it in the ground. It is now close to 20' tall and expanding everyday.

When it was about two years old my asshole neighbor decided it needed trimming and hacked up one side pretty good so it never really grew straight up, kind of all over the place. It'll be interesting to see how she continues to grow.

I have 6-8 seedlings that sprouted underneath the tree from seeds that dropped. A couple have been under the mower several times before I realized what they were and pulled them up. Yup, no fancy transplanting here, just pulled em up like carrots and potted them up. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts