What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a method of "reduction" of oil like there is for Ethanol?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
When you make tincture or ethanol based extraction (if I'm not mistaken) you wash the pot in alcohol (e.g. Everclear), strain it and then you heat the mix until a certain amount of the alcohol has evaporated and you have a concentrated resulting product.

Can you do the same thing for oil?

I made some canna oil from some popcorn buds and some coconut oil and lecithin... It's not strong enough for me. It requires about 3 tablespoons for a dose.

Is there a way I can reduce the mixture down and release some of the oil without loosing the cannabanoids? Similar to the way we reduce the alcohol tincture down by evaporating some of the alcohol but retaining the THC and other cannabinoids.

Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350F. Unfortunately, the same as THC and more than most of the terps in pot. So, boiling it out like we do alcohol does not seem to be an option.

Thanks

p0opstlnksal0t

You would need to find a solvent that will pick up the cannabinoids and use a sep funnel or chromatography column to separate I imagine.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
When you make tincture or ethanol based extraction (if I'm not mistaken) you wash the pot in alcohol (e.g. Everclear), strain it and then you heat the mix until a certain amount of the alcohol has evaporated and you have a concentrated resulting product.

Can you do the same thing for oil?

I made some canna oil from some popcorn buds and some coconut oil and lecithin... It's not strong enough for me. It requires about 3 tablespoons for a dose.

Is there a way I can reduce the mixture down and release some of the oil without loosing the cannabanoids? Similar to the way we reduce the alcohol tincture down by evaporating some of the alcohol but retaining the THC and other cannabinoids.

Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350F. Unfortunately, the same as THC and more than most of the terps in pot. So, boiling it out like we do alcohol does not seem to be an option.

Thanks.
In the 1st case the carrier is ethanol, highly volatile with a low flash point. It is merely evaporated out of the solution. Oil OTOH next to impossible to extract without sophisticated equip. Not, worth anyone's while.

What is your final goal? As a diabetic I can't do edibles, but do make pills, either straight up decarboxolated bud or from RSO. When making e-liquid 1g/ml of EJ Mix cooked on a cup warmer for 2hrs (decarb).

If making cooking oil I have seen everything from 2-3g all the way up to an oz/cup. The norm being 7-14g/per cup oil. Using straight bud in a recipe is definitely more potent. Therefore adjust accordingly :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
You would need to find a solvent that will pick up the cannabinoids and use a sep funnel or chromatography column to separate I imagine.
My little mini lab can do TLC but HPLC is outside my scope. ;)

I didn't know a sep funnel would work on lipophilic substance once the canna attached to the lipid oil??? Cool. I will read on it.

Thanks

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
In the 1st case the carrier is ethanol, highly volatile with a low flash point. It is merely evaporated out of the solution. Oil OTOH next to impossible to extract without sophisticated equip. Not, worth anyone's while.

What is your final goal? As a diabetic I can't do edibles, but do make pills, either straight up decarboxolated bud or from RSO. When making e-liquid 1g/ml of EJ Mix cooked on a cup warmer for 2hrs (decarb).

If making cooking oil I have seen everything from 2-3g all the way up to an oz/cup. The norm being 7-14g/per cup oil. Using straight bud in a recipe is definitely more potent. Therefore adjust accordingly :tiphat:

I use 1 ounce per 1/2 cup of oil and it's just not strong enough (for me. It kills everyone else. I have tolerance issues).

I try more weed but you can only cover so much weed with so much oil. The mix has to be right to extract. You can't expect to put a teaspoon of oil on an ounce of weed and get an extraction. LOL This has been an ongoing problem for me. I'm working on it.

A little off topic but the Sous Vide method that I have been using lately is working WAYYYYYYY better than anything has worked for me for years. At this point I am sure it is because the terps profile is retained during sous vide and lost during other decarbs and extractions.

Thanks again for the input

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
When you made the Canna coconut oil infusion, lacks the details of how you did it maybe there is a way this itself can be the error you learn from. Did you agitate the plant material while it was in the heated up pan or whatever you used what temps were you using and how much material was used and how long was the infusion process? You may just have low content of the active THC meaning you may have a lot more (THC-A) than the (D-9-THC) which is if you're ingesting as in swallowing would need more of the active compound in the oil to have the liver convert the (D-9-THC) into (11-hydroxy-delta-9-THC) best of luck my friend

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I have been using SousVide to both decarb and extract.

Definitely still learning that method but regardless of the method, being able to concentrate oil would be nice. Instead of 3 tablespoons being a single dose for me, I could take 1 capsule of the reduction.

My tolerance is sky high. Friends eat 1 piece of my candy and trip for days. I eat 8 or 10 pieces and... nothing. LOL It's an old story for me.

However, lately I have been having incredible results using Sous Vide. Must be because the vacuum/water method maintains the terpene profile and that is what's getting me high.

Either way, I am loving it. I was totally fucked up last night. Talked so much I had a sore throat this morning. LOL

troutman

Seed Whore
It would have been easier if you concentrated your initial ethanol extract and not dilute it afterwards so much.

BTW: What's wrong with 3 tablespoons?

If you don't know how to concentrate it now you may ruin it all.

You may be better to bite the bullet this time and make stronger extract next time. :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I think you may have misread. I don't use ethanol... or any other solvent. Ever.

I made oil from flowers. Then, I wanted to do a 'reduction sauce' from the oil to make it more concentrated.

I am something of a chef and reduction sauce is not an uncommon thing and often uses fats.

I have tolerance issues and it always fucks everything up. LOL I am always trying the make something more stronger more concentrated more potent... LOL

Thanks, though. :)

St. Phatty

Is that a task where a centrifuge might come in handy ?

Maybe, keep all of the THC & some of the oil.

Somehow.

Which is heavier, THC resin or oil ?

St. Phatty

Obviously oil is heavier or was that a trick question?

A centrifuge separates according to density AND they cost money.

So I'd want to know going in where the THC is going to end up, because extracting it from the centrifuge after it's separated could be a trick.

Half-kidding now ==> if you put the centrifuge in freezer that will freeze oil, then you can have a hardened piece of THC - oil like a big ice cube with the oil on the inside or outside, depending on density ... if it works.

Don't even know if that would work.

AND - this is all very academic because I went back and read RingoDoggie's original post.

I ruined a real good centrifuge that was actually in my garage - and WORKING - by trying to use it to separate a gold-sands mixture where I ran the centrifuge hot, with hot wax to help it stay together when removed ... theoretically. Heavy stuff on the outside, that would have been the gold if it worked.

If you were my neighbor I would offer Ringo Doggie my ruined centrifuge for his project. The motor still works, I just didn't think it through. I ruined a primo centrifuge chasing Gold Fever.

p0opstlnksal0t

I see used lab test tube centrifuges used on eBay all the time for like 10-20 bucks. Not much of a cost there for experimentation. I've blown far more than that on dumb hobbies

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I see plenty of cheap centrifuges on eBay for about $50. They all seem to be 4000 RPM rated. Is that enough to provide the separation we want?

If anyone thinks it's worthwhile, I'll buy one and try it.

I gave some of my 'weak' coconut oil to a friend tonight and he took 1 TSP. An hour later he said his legs were numb and he couldn't get up from the bar to pee. LOL I took 3 TBSP of this batch and felt nothing.

I give away more edibles than I eat. LOL

PDX Dopesmoker

Thats a lot of cooking oil to be eating all at once, you can't reduce that stuff as far as I know, but you can increase the concentration on it. I make cannabutter at equal weights of butter and trim, if you make it that strong and eat 3 tablespoons all sorts of excitement is guaranteed to ensue. You could easily mix in a batch of extra strength oil with what what you already have to create a batch with more reasonably sized portions or you could save the heavy stuff for yourself and use the less concentrated batch to feed to your less experienced amigos.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
My band had a gig last night and I took a bunch of chocolate and some coconut oil that I made that was too weak for me.

I gave it out to a couple of the regular fans that I know. By the end of the night, they were bouncing off the walls. LMAO

The really odd thing was that they all said how great the chocolate tasted. They all said they could barely taste the cannabis. Fucking shit gags me. I can barely get it down without puking. LOL

I am beginning to think that I shouldn't be doing cannabis. LOL

Apparently, I am pretty good at making the shit.... just not very good at TAKING it. LOL

I am making more today. I need to decarb a couple ounces for making BEER!! LOL This should be fun.