What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there a Way back?

Grateful1

I have many old heirloom varieties IVe been sitting on for years, and am finally able to start back up my breeeding projects in an effort to preserve these old lines. Circa 70's Afghani, Highland Oaxacan Gold, Pakis, Durban Poison etc.. theyre still out there, and some of us are working diligently to preserve them, and get them back into the genepool

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I have many old heirloom varieties IVe been sitting on for years, and am finally able to start back up my breeeding projects in an effort to preserve these old lines. Circa 70's Afghani, Highland Oaxacan Gold, Pakis, Durban Poison etc.. theyre still out there, and some of us are working diligently to preserve them, and get them back into the genepool

A lot of the old lines are still being grown out by people all over the place most dont log on line or care about the seed industry.

Most are willing to share genetics but are unwilling to as they dont want the lines ending up the property of the Corporate cannabis industry so they share between close friends.

I saw a Swazi that had almost black thin very serrated leaf in 2005 that came from a mates Girl friends dad who had been growing it for at lest 30 years.I stood next to the plants saw touched them never seen a plant like them on line.

Once cannabis is legal and corporations dont have the monopoly that is when most will resurface.

I think what someone needs to do is to get like 5 or 7 phenos, male and female and let them pollenate each other indoors. Than take those seeds to a field and bury them all in the field and let them grow out wildly and let nature do some trait selecting.

romanoweed

yeah , i found an excellent Lecture, really extraordinary, anwsering slightly how landraces were made from page 8 till Page 26. Once i was on Page 26, i was infected! Very informative, tells me that Landraces have a slight Population (differnt breeds in a Region slightly crossbreeding) but also shows evidence that they were selected to a downsized Genetic. But well they were not just one Line inbreed into heavy bottlenecking. Cause like said, they often regionally interbreed..

Also often the preffered Landraces often deriver from selving they sayd.(not necessarly same as reversing, rather natural)

Here we go:

https://books.google.ch/books?hl=de&lr=&id=74hdQoEc8XsC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=%22plant%22+%22+preservation%22+%22breeding%22&ots=ClftN5S9Tz&sig=OM006425Wlmktcvxk3ZZr1EkN6g&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22plant%22%20%22%20preservation%22%20%22breeding%22&f=false

romanoweed

Dont sleep on tha Link !
Its not just the two quotes you find there, it adresses this overall Topic, and in dept!

2nd part from Page 26 on compares this to modern Breeding as it sounds.
Dont sleep on it

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
grayeyes yuwell, or gemstone i use for : pheno, with a certain DEGREE of desired effect. Not just a Pheno with certain effects, no.rather the phenos wich are like LEGENDARY 70s weed, midblowing, strong like mushroom-trip or stronger.
Or a entire Line i call Yuwell/Gemstone too if it has atleast the Potential of holding Phenos like closer described here .

I had smoke in 1974 that was stronger and better than shrooms. No one else that smoked that with me seemed to feel an exceptional effect or did not say anything. In any case, it was an all time trip for me. grayeyes with Michoacan, others with Oaxacan, Thai etc.:rtfo:

I suppose you all know but Indian Landrace Seeds Exchange has a lot of strains. Not all are heirlooms with lots of breeding done. The Kashmir Lolab Valley being more a landrace, which has some hay phenos present I guess. Pretty raw and wild. Hope to be getting some of their seeds soon.

romanoweed

Exactly. Stronger, better, more beautiful, more calm , more magic.

And there are probably no more so many Lines around. Now thats where my Breeding-Qest comes in. Well the anwser to it is, the Landraces were bred different than modern Breeding does. And wich Strains have prooven to be etraordinarly potent?
Landraces.

Probably one could try to breed Them Gemstone Lines like they were bred since long time.
Means big operation
Does the USA easily allow someone to grow 1000s of Plants for Preservation?. Thats what im asking me

Nice to have people around who had that Experience.

Im'One

Exactly. Stronger, better, more beautiful, more calm , more magic.

And there are probably no more so many Lines around. Now thats where my Breeding-Qest comes in. Well the anwser to it is, the Landraces were bred different than modern Breeding does. And wich Strains have prooven to be etraordinarly potent?
Landraces.

Probably one could try to breed Them Gemstone Lines like they were bred since long time.
Means big operation
Does the USA easily allow someone to grow 1000s of Plants for Preservation?. Thats what im asking me

Nice to have people around who had that Experience.
The USA Is a basic corrupt country where you cannot grow a preservation run without thousands of dollars of licenses