What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My best cannabutter recipe - enjoy!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Thanks for the freezing tip. I used coconut oil this time, but thinking to try hemp oil this time

I used the Bodum press last time. What I learned...

You have to use sufficient greens for the screen to press down on them

* The oil that is left in the greens is uber potent. Thinking it was diluted I made a tea that kicked my ass for 6+ hours. lol

I think it is better to use the oil to make icings for the cookies, brownies, instead of further cooking at ~ 350*s

Thanks for the tea idea!! I only press once to make cannabutter. I blew out my wrist for 6 months first time I tried pressing, so avoid the extra runs. How do you store the leaves?? Do you freeze them?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the tea idea!! I only press once to make cannabutter. I blew out my wrist for 6 months first time I tried pressing, so avoid the extra runs. How do you store the leaves?? Do you freeze them?

Not following your question. Once I am done pressing they are tossed

Loc Dog

Veteran
Not following your question. Once I am done pressing they are tossed

I was thinking of pressing once to make cannabutter, then saving the leaves to make tea, and get the last out of it.

I do not know if it would survive being frozen wet or dry.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking of pressing once to make cannabutter, then saving the leaves to make tea, and get the last out of it.

I do not know if it would survive being frozen wet or dry.

Just take the left over (after pressing) and make a tea. Just be careful. It's a lot more potent than you would think

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
ive found that on average the greens contain the 50% of butter you are missing
that confirms the potency flora is speaking of

So if i cook a pound of butter im getting at most 52% by weight back
even using 92% butterfat high end butter

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have a crap load to run. The first batch I made I used butter. The second run which I have not tried yet (probably have 100 frozen cookies that are strong as hell, only eat about a quarter for a good high) was made with ghee. Found a guy on e-bay selling 3.5 pounds of ghee for $30.00.

I have tons of lesser buds from GG4. I will have to experiment on storing the extracted leaf in freezer. Will try freezing wet and dry. Will also try making super concentrated tea, then make ice cubes out of it, store them in large ziplocs, and use them as needed.

ive found that on average the greens contain the 50% of butter you are missing...

see here
...Flush the cooked leaves in the cheesecloth in the strainer over the bucket with some boiling hot water and press it out with a potatoe masher or something similiar, to get all the butter out of the leaves. It is important to know, that the leaves get soked especially with fat. Not with water. A big part of the ghee is in the leaves which are completely soked. And the THC is in the ghee. You have to flush the ghee out of the leaves many times with a bit boiling hot water, pressing it again and again....

Loc Dog

Veteran
Does anyone know if soy lecithin will amplify the strength of CBD, like it does to THC??

M

moose eater

Had just under 170 grams of bud clippings from the last go or two; mostly Ghost Train Haze #1, Super Lemon Haze, and Widow Bomb, with a minor amount of Goji OG, California Indica, and Barney's Farm LSD clippings from 5 mothers I flowered out a while back instead of killing them. Mostly the clippings were from the first 3 referenced plants.

I was going to rub them into finer bits before soaking, but had places to go, people to see, and stuff to do in town, and going around smelling like someone air-dropped me into Humboldt County in the middle of September or October doesn't comply with my security standards.. Been there and done that...

Ended up using a larger Hamilton Beach food processor with the shredder blade down low in the device. Hope I didn't grind it too fine. I noted lots of trichs stuck to the plastic bowl inside the processor after each run; they'd apparently missed the earlier tumbling I did with a #100 screen on my gear-reduction drive motorized tumbler for hash making.. So I scraped the static-electrically-charged trichs out of the processor and tossed them into the mix in a stainless steel 2.5 to 3 gallon stock pot, filled up to 2/3-full with untreated cold well water.

They're soaking now, with the lid duct-taped in place, until I change the water this evening for the 2nd soak, after town errands.

I'll change the water again tomorrow morning for a short third soak, then rinse any refuse out of the cloth.

I'm using finished squares of flour cloth; finer mesh than cheese cloth, but more porous than a dish cloth/towel. Hope it doesn't get too clogged up with the trichs and finer particulates.

I'll be putting what began as just under 170 grams of good (previously tumbled) bud clipping, into 13 oz. of organic ghee.

I'll post outcomes later. If there's lots of typos, then it was probably good stuff!! :biggrin:

M

moose eater

After 4 or 5 soaks/rinses over a (roughly) 36+ hour soaking, with the first run-off being nearly the color of molasses, and the last one (this morning) being more a mild gold in color, the vegetative matter, ghee, and untreated well water is now slowly heating on the stove top in a smaller stainless steel stock pot.

I'd initially intended to use the brand new (now dusty as all hell) electric crock pot/slow cooker I'd bought for Christmas nearly 2 years ago, but ran into issues with quantity of greens and water.

That said, I've already come to a number of observations and/or conclusions.

*The 100 grams of greens : 9 oz. of ghee has the benefit of making it a manageable volume or amount for an average-size slow cooker. What I have now is too much for the slow cooker I have.

*Moving the vegetative matter back and forth during straining is a pain in the ass, with no clear method (yet) for keeping it neat, and not losing at least a minor amount of the greenery in each process. (*I'd estimate at this time, I may have forfeited up to several grams of shredded leaf, in total, and unknown resin glands through the 4-5 strainings after the soaks.).

*Keeping the chosen straining cloth to a size not much larger than the colander or strainer being used, minimizes the mess that results. My flour cloth is too big, and I will either hem the edges of it after trimming it, or get smaller pieces of it. (*I'm using an metal/enamel colander with 3/16" to 1/4" holes, lined with the previously mentioned flour cloth).

*I'd wager (based on the trichs present in the bottom of the larger stock pot<s> used for soaking) that a fair bit of trichomes/resin glands are trapped in the flour cloth, making it something I want to use again in the process (without washing) right through the final straining and pressing with boiling water, so as to remove the resin with the ghee and boiling water that's been trapped in the cloth fibers.. Otherwise that (what's likely a respectable amount of resin) will go to waste.

* The diameter of the pot/bucket used for settling the butter to the top upon cooling the mix, will partly dictate the thickness of the butter that rises to the top, and therefore will determine a part of the ease with which the hardened butter is removed in the final step. Narrower and deeper will result in a thicker layer of hardening butter at the top, and is preferred to shallower and wider for this reason. A wider pot will result in a thinner layer of butter at the top.

*When washing the flour cloth, cheese cloth, etc., that's going to be used in the process, use either a non-scented, basic dish detergent to hand wash and air dry, or use a similar unscented, basic, environmentally friendly laundry detergent. I suspect that cannabis butter that tastes like a leading detergent loses its palatability.

In 8 hours, if the typos have increased dramatically, send out a search party for me.:biggrin:

M

moose eater

Welllllll...

The (tiny bit less than) 13 oz. of organic ghee, combined with ~170 grams of once-tumbled bud trimmings, the boiling water, plus additional hot water for rinsing the cloth and greens once completed, resulted in 8.55 oz. of superb butter! An initial 'loss' of ~35% of the total ghee that went into the mix. But some of the remaining/missing ghee can be reclaimed by performing a subsequent rinsing.

The amount of water, in what ended up being my 4-1/2 to 5 gallon stainless stock pot, was fairly huge, thus it took quite a while (all afternoon and through the night) out in an enclosed unheated (~ +15 to +20 degree f.) porch/deck out back to see the butter solidified at the top of the mix. It came out in one 12" to 14" disc, roughly 1/4" thick.

In part due to the quality of the genetics and the clippings' sourced, when the ghee was still liquid, but cooling, I stuck my finger through the oil film on top of the pot, to see if I could sense the depth at which it turned to H2O (I couldn't). But in the process, I ended up with my finger coated in oil/liquid ghee, so I licked off the finger in question.... Between 2-3 tokes earlier of some nice Super Lemon Haze, and then licking the finger to consume the oil, I ended up more than a tad stoned!

The liquid ghee had that somewhat spicy alkaloid flavor, more peppery than anything, similar to a spicy flavored hashish, but with butter (where's a warm fresh croissant when you need one??!!). The buzz that followed tells me the alkaloid-like peppery flavor is indicative of the potency in the case of this batch.

I may rinse the cloth containing the greens another time or two, though into a narrower pot, using less water in the rinse.

Thanks for a great use of already-tumbled trim!! It turned out just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

I think making oil extract with the once-tumbled trim would make for less mess in the process, but result in more mess in the clean-up phase, so it's a fair trade. And diversifying the collection of cannabis products allows for more uses and imagination in application.

Thanks again!!

Growcephus

Veteran
Currently trying this approach with some male plants that volunteered their services. I found that using hot tap water helps to extract a lot of the nasties pretty quickly, almost like a tea bag, and my water became pretty clear after 3 or 4 water changes in only a few hours time.

I think the next time I'm just going to toss the ganja in a couple layers of some cheese cloth and treat it like a big tea bag for the rinse and the extraction.

Pic related: The "volunteers"

Growcephus

Veteran
Wow, did not expect the initial results. So pleased.

I got 25g of dried plant product from the 3 "volunteer" males and used it in 8 oz of coconut oil. Sampled a 7g serving of coconut oil with some tea and milk and achieved a very mellow and pleasant buzz. There's definitely more THC in those young male plants than I had thought. Glad the OP made this thread.