What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
Yeah good ideas cc,organic buds and biosynthesis i always wanted to try that trick burying the fish in the soil ever since i heard that tale of the indians doing it. I might just wait until I'm able to make enough compost for the veggie patch so I don't have to worry about wasting store bought and water it with plain tap and see what happens because I know if I have to do a ritual to water the veggies everytime I will eventually just get tired of it and just say screw it. But with making teas I wouldn't mind going out of the way to get the water cleaner..

ahaha--back in the old days in WV we used to bury pineapples and berries in the soil where our ganja plants grew--

BIO- that garden's a beauty--very nice black loamy soil to--i think all the farm animal poop helps alot-- wish mine looked that good--

TC--very nice beds, looks great to--you've been busy--do you make/can salsa?

avid veggie gardener and canner here to--got mine in 2 weeks ago--finally got about a 6'' to 8'' of loamy soil after 3 yrs. of working this red clay to death--also have fruit trees, berry bushes and concord and green table grapes

i use tap water here and have used spring water at my old farm in WV, i notice no difference-- i honestly believe with an outdoor garden the rainwater can be as bad as tap water-- the real key is having black rich soft loamy soil--

Last edited:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
The copper spray im trying to get away from and have lots of it but yes it is copper sulfate. It stains hands blue. (You cant spray after it sets fruit).

The sulfur spray is what im REALLY interested in. I think it is made from lyme sulfur but not possitive. It stains your hands a yellowish color. smells like sulfur. Tomorrow I will try and find and old bottle and let you know. (spray all year long)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

Douglas? Then here's a regional product to consider - Eco-Nutrients in Crescent City, California. There is a distributor's list at their web site.

It's also available at the organic farm stores in Portland. The fish comes from the waters off the coasts of Washington, Oregon & Northern California.

Stay away from their kelp product - it could be worse but I'm not sure what it would take to accomplish that Herculean feat. F*cking worthless.

CC

Last edited:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
ahaha--back in the old days in WV we used to bury pineapples and berries in the soil where our ganja plants grew--

BIO- that garden's a beauty--very nice black loamy soil to--i think all the farm animal poop helps alot--

avid veggie gardener and canner here to--got mine in 2 weeks ago--finally got about a 6'' to 8'' of loamy soil after 3 yrs. of working this red clay to death--

i use tap water here and have used spring water at my old farm in WV, i notice no difference-- i honestly believe with an outdoor garden the rainwater can be as bad as tap water-- the real key is having black rich soft loamy soil--

Thank you. This soil Ive been working for ten years and Im still chucking rocks. Other than the rocks its pretty good soil. The old timer up the road says rocks are good cuz they hold heat and get your gear germinating faster and adds the needed warmth to the soil. This garden has its shitty spots a few years ago I took out some trees in there and have to plant around them. The chickens and the animals close to the garden is key for me. Thanks for stopping in!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The copper spray im trying to get away from and have lots of it but yes it is copper sulfate. It stains hands blue. (You cant spray after it sets fruit).

The sulfur spray is what im REALLY interested in. I think it is made from lyme sulfur but not possitive. It stains your hands a yellowish color. smells like sulfur. Tomorrow I will try and find and old bottle and let you know. (spray all year long)

Bio

The Bordeaux Mix contains Copper Sulfate & Slaked Lime. It dates back to the 19th Century and is still used today. Some nurseries use a product called SpinOut which is applied to the inside of the container to stop the roots from 'spinning' around and around the bottom. There are a couple of commercial nursery container manufacturers that sell their products pre-coated with Copper Hydroxide

Fabric containers (like SmartPots) prevent the roots from spinning by exposing the root tips to air - auto-pruning is the term used in the nursery industry.

Lime Sulfur (aka Calcium Polysulfide) also dates back to the 19th Century.

Basic recipe is at the link and elsewhere.

HTH

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Calcium polysulfide looks like the one im after. Used to be on shelves at the co-op but can no longer find it, just the copper sulfate. Someone informed me it was taken off the shelves for environmental reasons. The only thing I see is that it burns and can blind if not diluted. Thank you!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
What would be more accurate to say is that Oregon restricted Lime Sulfur for backyard gardeners by reducing the levels of active ingredients that are allowed.

The companies selling to commercial farmers & nurseries do not fall under the new restrictions. Long story and not very exciting.

CC

S

shokdee

Nice gardens, I have some fotos in my gallery, we have a small dam, fish, chickens, fruit trees, aromatics herbs, and so on.

Here are some ways for storing water, Thai-style.

groady-ho

Veteran
ya Bio i also, believe some rocks help in the respect they create an air zone for the roots to thrive in compacted type soil, not really sure, i'll take the old-timers advice--altho my garden is a rock-free zone--

this might sound crazy but i have these big sycamore trees and they have these ping pong sized spikey balls that fall off all summer--about 2 yrs. ago i started mixing them in the garden thinking they would act like hydroton and create holes in the soil for a root zone and i've noticed the plants roots grow right through them and they decay rapidly--idk if they really do anything but i'll try anything to improve the soil naturally--

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Ya I hear ya groady. I would like my soil more loamy but im a lazy f**ker. Those 50 chickens I have cant put out enough crap fast enough. the garden is chicken proof and there is a door from the chicken pen into the garden. So during winter you leave the pen door open to the garden and they are penned in the garden scratching and poopin up a storm. The only downside is they eat alot of worms.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Here are some ideas you can review....

I would go with Stinging Nettles but Comfrey or Horsetail Ferns would probably be better but not as easy to find probably.

CC

groady-ho

Veteran
are those the same nettles as the ones with a stinging root if you touch it? or atleast i think a stinging root--

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Horsetails. Thats funny. I will get a picture up soon. They are all around the ganga this year. Anywhere theres moisture.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Horsetails and stinging nettles are threatening to take over my ganga. I will snap a few photos in the next few days. Im going to have to try this one this year.

groady-ho

Veteran
nevermind, CLackamas answered at the the same as i asked--lol--

curious, does anyone put winter wheat in? this year i'm skipping the winter wheat in lieu of asparagus--

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks John. You folks are great! My heads gonna be so inflated tomorrow, wont be able to get it through the door to water.

Latest posts

Latest posts