What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone been to Srinagar, kashmir ?

T

The Batman

hello fellows travellers, young strain hunters, oldtimers of the seventies :)

Im looking for information about finding some hash/herb and security question in Jammu and Kashmir but specialy in Kashmir as im planning a 6 month trip in India next year with my wife after the monsoon. we wish to go to the Indian Venice : Srinagar for our honey moon. and i would like to make shure there will be no problems, of course i will buy some charas in himachal pradesh too as i wish to visit the parvati valley and malana but Srinagar is the place we dream of, with houseboats, water and mountain and they seem to have a microclimate too and a lot of other things.
any informations or experiences are welcome.
im wondering if they have dry sieved hash too because kashmir is 90% muslims while Jammu is 90% hindu and Ladakh 90% buddhist.
sincerely

Bat

edit : im sorry for the title of the thread my english is poor indeed, the title was : has anyone been to.......

I

izzywozzywizzy

Hi.I was there 10 years ago it will still be same .I stayed at the smaller lake in srignar ,houseboats are less crowded.gurda is strong blonde pollen twisted in leaves very cheap cents a gram,soldiers every 10 feet but I was in no danger Kashmir wood carving is very good.kashmiri are top salesman so beware they can sell you houseboats before you no it.I luvved it.drinking tea and smoking gurda all day while living on a houseboat was fun ,if I had the money is fill a container up of kashmiri wood furniture ,silk carpets,and gurda.peace

B

buddymate

I stayed at the smaller lake
Nagin lake :ying: Been to kashmir a few times,first time was maybe 20 years ago?Seen a bit of trouble there in the past,as for hash get the shikars (water taxis)to drop some off at your houseboat,look for kashmiri twist :tiphat:

T

The Batman

thanks a lot fellows for your input and advices, i hope some others travellers will check in this thread.
sincerely

bat

Dkgrower

Veteran
High High Bro, that sound like a wonderfull plan. 6 months in india with your wife, when my son is alittel older (1year) we are also going on a long trip to the Himalayas, i love the mountains.

So advise on going to Kashmir, it is no problem going there if u want to take a chance, u newer know when things blow up and riots get out off hand and the indian army start to shoot pepol.

I have been traped in Shrinigar fore 14 days, while pepol where killing and bombs where popping every where, it was safe but its not the most funny thing to do with u wife.

So my point is read the news paper and see if the situation is cool and there is no riots, then i would go and enjoy the lush green mountains and hang out in a house boat on lake dal also go and check Amarnath Temple and see the ice shiva lingum, that place is a mad house off indian pilgrims set in a very beautifull setting.

So if u want any direct advice, fell free and ask

Bom shiva and Alhamdulillah

Btw Jammu is not really the place, full of fanatic hindus.

T

The Batman

hi DKgrower,

thanks a lot for your post man, i have read Kashmir is more peacefull nowadays but you are right i will have to check informations before going so far otherwise we will stay in himachal or visiting punjab.
it must be a magical travel, india looks so diverse, the nature and moutains, wild flowers , wild cannabis, diverse religions and philisophy, diverse language and ethnic group and the ocean of the south, the backwaters of kerala, the fish curry of the south, the muslim foods of the kashmir and the vegetarian one of the buddhist and hindu.....hhhhh i want to go now !
it must be a special trip for you what you have seen in Srinagar between the hindus and muslims. i hope they will keep the peace between them.
about Jammu, your advice will be etched in my memory, thank you.
take care
sincerely

bat

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Been there 10 years ago was fantastic. Although the situation was a bit hot during the past years, the situation has dramatically improved and you shouldn't have any fear about security. THis past summer, Indian tourists have flocked the valley to the point where locals had to rent their very own bedrooms, which had never happened before.

About hash, just ask where your stay. The plants grow wild all around the valleys, there are lots of cultivated patches filled with huge sativa plants and you can get both sieved hash (amazing twisted garda) and hand-rubbed as well (called "attar", not for the faint hearted, can get very racy). Oil is produced in some quantity as well.

I just can't wait to be there again, crossing fingers for next harvest time !

Irie !