What's new

Need some feedback about security

Erestese

I've lived in Texas all my life and after 10 years of smoking what Mexico has had to offer I finally said "fuck it!" and decided to venture into the wide world of growing cannabis. I've learned a LOT over the month or two I've been reading this site after happening upon it via google. As I mentioned earlier I'm tired of the quality of herb I smoke and I want to upgrade but with great reward always comes great risks. My dilemma is that my neighbor who lives across the street from me is LEO and I want to grow some personal so I don't have to be hassled by drug dealers, droughts, or bad quality. My question to you guys is, if you had LEO living across the street how would you step up your odor control and what steps would you take to insure that your grow is safe.

Erestese

I half expected to see some "You're out of your mind" posts or something. Anyone know how effective the DIY scrubbers are compared to the retail scrubbers?

Goat

Buy a good scrubber.

Sure you can make one but its in your best interest to do this as professionally as possible. The cost and hassle of building one will be greater than the quality and peace of mind of purchasing one. They're only like $60 - $150 and thats way less than the fine you'll get for growing. Work smart, not hard! <<<< my credo.

- Goat!

He probably smokes too :) maybe that's wishful thinking...

What are the prevailing winds at your location? if the breeze blows toward LEO most of the time, think about a different location until you are certain of your odor control.

Have spare parts on hand. A duplicate carbon filter and a roll of duct tape should be within arms reach.

Design the space so that ole LEO could stand next to the door and not wonder what's behind it - even if he had smelled it in the neighborhood.

Now who can recommend a carbon filter. mine is homemade - a fan enclosure box with a removable 20mm carbon screen. I have come home to a trace of a sweet smell a couple of times :)

Maculele

Go for it. Take care of your odor situation in the most effective way you can think of. This means no DIY and over sizing your related equipment beyond what is considered to be effective for your grow size.
No one in here would be growing if people across the street could smell their ganja. Now if you're talking about a possibility of equip. failure being your downfall, most folks here would probably be in similar shoes, that's just a risk factor you have to consider. You can mitigate this risk by keeping a close eye (and nose) on your grow op.
Good luck in whatever decision you make

eyes

Veteran
make sure you have it tucked away as well.hide it.so,if there is a unforseen where the cops wanna come in and question u about what happen to pedros girlfriend who was b slapped by him in a drunken stupor,or the guy who just robbed the store of slim jims and rubbers,or the guy who was drunk who crashed his car into your front porch,for any unforseen reason beyond your control,make sure it is hidden.in a box that you can shut and keep the smell in.trust me anything that can come up,will.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Neighbors shouldn't know, regardless of what their job is. You should grow like all your neighbors are LEO. :joint:

Don't skimp on the carbon filters and fans to be used with them. I've got a DIY filter, and I think I put it together well, but the brand name ones are so much heavier than mine is, and that's a good thing. I think that's going to be one of my next investments, because odor control is a huge security concern.

Make lightleaks a top priority too, you should be able to stand in the same room as your cab, with all the lights off and the cab running full tilt, and not see a spot of light. This is another reason to not skimp on the fan you buy, because strong negative pressure inside the cabinet will really help with lightproofing.

Erestese

Thanks for all the advice, I was pretty dead set on getting a retail filter which I ordered a few days ago. Light Leaks are a huge priority but I'm using a room with no windows so the only thing I have to lightproof is the door itself. Last part of my flower room will be ducting AC to the room and installing the fan.

ExEcutioner

O you sound like your doing good. The room itself already sounds stealthy. IMO you can easily be more that safe if you are just doing a personal.

Rarely do i hear anyone say you can pick a strain that doesn't reek. Think about nl5 vs superskunk for example. when you get confident about the odor control then bring in the reekers. And remember to consider the strains that wont stink much when grown but will when they are chopped.
Good Luck, keep us posted!
Peace

del...

bounty29 said:
Neighbors shouldn't know, regardless of what their job is. You should grow like all your neighbors are LEO. :joint:
<snip>

now that's the best advice i've seen in a long time!

chimei

Like others have said odor control is critical.

I always keep a second filter on hand of the same size.

Hell if I had enough room I would run 2 exhaust filters like RAID with hard drives all the time. And have them staggered in age of the carbon. 6 months apart.

G

I have a cop and a fire chief in my neighborhood. There were a lot of questions on my list before I decided to start. Some random thoughts....

At some point you'll probably end up talking to the guy. I talk to all my neighbors so my point of view might be skewed because all my neighbors are outgoing and retired folk. :muahaha:

He will (probably) be able to tell you're high when you interact with him. Cops are trained in this, in terms of behavior and eyes pupils etc. Just a few chance interactions with you could have him sure you smoke weed.

From there I dunno what a cop would do? I have a couple cop friends that I used to crime around with before they were cops and they would give a pass on giving a shit about that but most other cops?????

I think a little recon is in order while you plan you're grow show. Maybe you could casually figure out his schedule/family situation/his name will give you a start on searching the internet. Public records or online GIS might give you the home owners name. A lot of cops home addresses are listed as the precinct. Does he keep a nice house? Nice yard? If you have a shit landscape and he's got the nicest yard on the block then he might be looking for anything to fuck with you over. Maybe meet the guy and find out what he does exactly, what his political leanings are etc.

I guess my point is that you should have a ton of questions that you need answered. Some of these you can answer by looking others by reasoning etc. I think it's perfectly safe to grow pot across from a cop. But you're safety is something you have to take seriously and only you can make that decision. How are you going to adjust or carry yourself as a neighbor to divert attention.

I know everything about my neighbors, their names, age, where they work, where they retired from, their vacation schedule, their email addresses, all their online happenings. I found all this out before I even met some of them. I hear a lawn mower fire up and by the time and day of the week I know who's mowing. I also secured all their wireless accounts for them lol.

This was not hard or that time consuming.

Me? I have the nicest, most diverse, landscaped yard in the neighborhood. This isn't something I ever liked to do in the past but the neighbors (being retired) set their standards on behavior and gardening in the neighborhood and I had to rise above them a few notches. That makes sure that they will always be pleased with me.

Ask all of my joining neighbors or any on the block including the cop and not a single one of them could be convinced I even smoke pot. That took a lot of work.

Ohh yeah... I also learned that they stop by at any time of day to borrow a ladder or yard tool or ask a question or ask you to help carry their trash out so we learned to keep orange spray and a natural body spray right by the door so it never smells when we answer.

This has been the hardest part about learning to grow. Image and diversion.... well, slight of hand really. To these people, I am not who I seem and that's only because I grow.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
bounty29 said:

i second that k+

the best advice indeed was that... think that non-leo neighbors will probably snitch on you anyway, so it is the same...

be safe

Y

yamaha_1fan

I say go for it. And like others have said, you should be acting like all your neighbors are LEO anyway.

If anything, it may keep you on your toes and never get lazy

Latest posts

Latest posts