What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ballast flip flop

G

I bet you could make it and wire it and it won't be as hard as you thought. Don't give up you'll probably save $300 and learn something!

Y

yamaha_1fan

www.nowirenuts.ca

Hes a user here, think its DB2004. Has built a few flip flops for users here, seems to know his stuff but cant vouch personally.

Are you running American 60hz 120v?
If yes I can post Pix with part#'s A step by step sort of thing. What brand ballast do you run? And do you wanna spend xtra $$ for conectors or cut into the OEM ballast cords?

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
it is very easy to build. if you want help like Sad247summer you can save a ton all you really need is a dpdt relay (29.99) a 110 power cord (9.99) and a few other items i could post pics as well so if you wanna try it let us know

its just like this but you will have 4 poles (dpdt relay not the one posted in that web site) 2 for each light and insted of a 220 coming in it would be your light cord
http://www.hydroponics.net/learn/grow-light-controller.asp

Last edited:
Sad247summer said:
Are you running American 60hz 120v?
If yes I can post Pix with part#'s A step by step sort of thing. What brand ballast do you run? And do you wanna spend xtra $$ for conectors or cut into the OEM ballast cords?

I would love to see a step by step with connectors.

Y

yamaha_1fan

For flipping one light, it may just be easier to use two ballasts on seperate timers. Use a digital timer, for each one, get the times set on both and have them shut off and on 2-3 minutes apart. Your plants will never know they got 11:57 versus 12:00

Yamaha1 the point of the flipflops is to NOT need a 2nd ballast and to not have power spikes just a steady draw.
I Dont know about putting a digi ballast on a flipflop...... That would be a question for another person.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Sad247summer said:
Yamaha1 the point of the flipflops is to NOT need a 2nd ballast and to not have power spikes just a steady draw.
I Dont know about putting a digi ballast on a flipflop...... That would be a question for another person.

yeah I know that but the reason most flip flop, is so they dont have to buy extra ballasts for the expense. Just like you said. But is it cost effective to flip flop ONE light? The guy doesnt want to build one so what is it going to cost to buy versus just buying another ballast. And how much of a spike is one 600w going to create?

He may want to stay digital but a 600 W magnetic ballast isnt that much.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Thats cool meng :D Just trying to KIS for ya. If you have two ballasts, the cheapest and simplest thing is just use two timers. You could have both ballasts running in about 5 minutes longer than it takes you to run to home depot and get a timer :D But I understand you wanting you to learn and all

full time daddy
Veteran
the link i posted was for running 4 lights on one 220 line with the same timer not for 4 ballast 8 lights....

the reason i posted it is its the same idea. the 220 input is where you put the output from the ballast and the output is the input for the lights.... the only thing that is not the same is you use a dpdt not a dpst relay...

like i said i will post pics thursday nite and make it a step by step

doing one is easy........... i made a box for 10 ballast and 20 lights. i was running 3 rooms 2 with 5k in each and 1 with 10k.... :nono:

41759_300.jpg

this is the dpdt you use
http://www.drillspot.com/products/43744/Dayton_5X847_Power_Relay

Last edited:

BlindDate

Veteran
A flip flop box is not going to prevent spikes. If someone were watching your power line they would see a sudden drop to be followed by a slow ramp up of current starting a second later. When you turn a HID light on, the current starts off low and then increases as the bulb brightens.

Digital ballast will need to be turned off, then flipped, and then turned on again. At least that's how the Lumateks can work

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
BlindDate said:
A flip flop box is not going to prevent spikes. If someone were watching your power line they would see a sudden drop to be followed by a slow ramp up of current a second later. When you turn a HID light on, the current starts off low and then increases as the bulb brightens.

Digital ballast will need to be turned off, then flipped, and then turned on again.

:headbange agreed...
we can make a flip flop that turns the ballast off n on too... ned a few more timers n some smaller relays

BlindDate

Veteran
Also......If you turn off the ballast before the flip you can get away with a far, far smaller relay then those big open frame models that people use.

full time daddy
Veteran
BlindDate said:
Also......If you turn off the ballast before the flip you can get away with a far, far smaller relay then those big open frame models that people use.
yeah you dont need the realy for the 6k volt spike its about the same cost either way and much more to deal with the timers involved to shut the light down.... once you shut it down you have to let it cool for 5 mins befor it will kick the new light on, how ever on a digi i dont think you need that cool down time after using the one i have built i can see where the relay is going to have to be replaced in a few yrs time this would not happen either if the ballast get shut down first

Last edited:
00420 said:
coming right up.... :) but i cant take pics tell thursday

Now that's service! :muahaha:

I'm curious about DIY flip flop as well. Is it possible to make one that eliminates the spikes in energy usage?

Last edited:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now let me see if i have this right :chin: You use one ballast to power two lamps... you also use 50% less power as you swap power between the lamps... the plants still receive plenty of light... you get twice as much weed for half the power?!?

Cheers.

:smoweed:

D

Delta Force

SilverSurfer_OG said:
Now let me see if i have this right :chin: You use one ballast to power two lamps... you also use 50% less power as you swap power between the lamps... the plants still receive plenty of light... you get twice as much weed for half the power?!?

Cheers.

:smoweed:
The idea is you have 2 rooms. Both have 2 lights in each room. beside you having 4 ballasts.....one for each light, you have only 2 ballasts that power all 4 lights(2 at a time r 1 room on while the other is off and visa versa). Since they're flowering rooms the ballasts only have to power 2 lights at a time while the other room is in dark phase. So you only have to buy half the ballasts that you have lights and you run two bloom rooms. Also you can have the ballasts never turn off between the switch to avoid power spikes as spoke off. Thats wear the debate of saving money yada yada comes in. Either way it is a great way of running two identical rooms and only having to invest in or have one rooms worth of ballasts. Still need bulbs, cords, and hoods. Many advantages to this but there's always trade offs.

Great thread BTW and look forward to a pic tutorial :wave: