What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Sensi Star grow from seed, looking for the Ogre

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Dear tokers, the Sensi Stars went down two days ago, on day 64 in flower. I had thought to let some phenos go a little longer (the colas on the best phenos were still asking for more time) but I noticed the start of bud rot on my second best pheno, so all six phenos got the ax for safety's sake, toghether with some Golden Skushes. I can tell you that my dryroom stinks like heaven high right now.
Sometimes, a plant can conceal another.
One of the Indica phenos lost her meristem bud in late veg (my fault, I always fuck something up even in the best of grows), and she grew into a low, unimpressive plant that looked like she had lost something. I was even planning on writing a notice about not to top a Sensi Star, because her sisters has packed on a lot of weight on the main cola. Although, as I cut her down, I noticed that she was just as heavy in the hand as my prime pheno #2. She had grown a truckload of hidden buds under the foliage, as massively as massively gets.
So I may have another winner in Indica pheno #5.
In any case, here's hybrid/skunk pheno #9 just before the chop. Phenos #2,#5 and#9 will be kept based on looks and yield, then the upcoming smoke test will bring some more clarity in the matter.
As you can see on the lower pic, I usually don't trim before the chop. I let the leaves envelope the buds, which will slow down the drying. The slower the dry, the better the concistency and the taste.
Oh yeah, I will add a trim, cure and smoke report to this thread, to really make it a seed to smoke thread.

LIMELIGHT

congrats Rosy ,,,,,espescially on the surprise keeper pheno w the hidden nuggage,,,nice 45(7"). looking forward to the smoke report. one,lime

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Two weeks have passed since I gave the Sensi Stars the axe, and yesterday I trimmed the last one (yes, I slow dry).
Of course, I’ve already sampled the goods. Since the Sensi Star is an old friend, there were no surprises. A profound stone that you feel from the backbone to the finger tips, and with a slight, tingling Sativa buzz somewhere within.

I had been hoping for an outstanding pheno that would make the others fade away, but from the first few tests, it doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ll have to wait and see how they evolve during the cure of course, and I’m not going to sulk because I didn’t get an elite pheno from one pack of seeds. It was a good grow, after all.

As I started trimming, I found that I had a bigger mold problem than I thought. There was slight mold in the three biggest main colas, and I probably had to thrash 5% of the crop. I kept the air humidity quite high because of the mites, so it was either the mites or the mold.

The three Indica phenos all yielded well, but the big #2 was the winner. Indica pheno #7 hid some nanner stowaways, well hidden (so in total, I had 2 plants out of 6 that produced nanners) between the buds, so I will not keep that one. Indica #5 had the second best yield, but will not be kept either. The best hybrid/skunk pheno (#9) will be kept for now, together with #2, but quite frankly I don’t know if any of them will become keepers. Time will tell.

I use hair dresser scissors for the snip snip trimming. They cost a fortune, but after a few hours of trimming you tend to appreciate quality.

Anyone wants to lick my fingers?

That Nutella jar contains buds from one plant, and it’s the big 1.5 kilo jar, not the 750 gr model (Yes, I like Nutella).

And while I write this, I got some Sensi Star and Golden Skush ISO oil steaming in the kitchen. The alcohol fumes are making me puunch druunk…

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Very nice job Rosy....I'll pass on the finger sucking offer, however.
Just shave that scissor hash into a bowl and pass it....that'll do :D

Thanks for a great show!

kooki

:yes: nice job rosy , i aint gonna lick ya fingers but if u scrape it off ill bong it :D hehe
love the frost on those photos, and hope the cure will heighten the smoke for u.
:wave:

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Hi rosy :wave:

Nice sensi stars :smile: Grew ss a while back... this is some real potent stuff :joint: The taste wasn't my favourite but nice nontheless...

Enjoy your Stars, greetz

G

s.s put me on my ass the first time i tried it, it put me on my ass.. its a killer smoke. i have haven't had the sensi seeds version, just paradise, i'm a big fan of rox as well. if you ever give it a shot. gorgeous looking plants man. best of luck.

NOFpuXnk

Hi rosy Cheeks :wave:

Awesome fucking grow!
thankyou for all the GREAT pictures.
keep on growing
k+ for you
later

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Hey VT, kooki, Sideshow-Bob, stretchpup, natoffski, NOFpuXnk, T.do.Toker, and all you Sensi Star fans. Thanks for the kind words. I've been lagging behind with the Sensi Star smoke report, the buds are properly cured now and smells lovely.

I've developed a preference for the hybrid pheno rather than the Indica pheno this time around (my old Sensi Star mother was an Indica pheno). Looking at pics of the OGRE, it's clear that the OGRE is the same pheno, only with a bumped up yield to it, whereas my plant gives an average yield. The plant I kept was also the first one to throw nanners. A thing worth mentioning is that when I saw her grow bananas, I immediately chucked her clone in the compost, discarding her as a possible keeper. But then I saw her put on weight in the following week and grow into a beautiful plant (you know the kind of plant that looks dull and average through the grow, but beefs up nicely in the last weeks and overtakes the other plants on the finishing line), and I started to get second thoughts about throwing away her clone. So I went to the compost, and the clone was lying there among the dead leaves and decaying organic waste, more dead than alive. But there was this miniscule tip of fresh green left in one of the shoot tips, and I thought why not give it a try to save her? I nurtured her with mistings and light doses of superthrive for another week, before I saw a new leave sprout, and it took almost a full month before she actually started to grow. So I saved her, and this is that clone today:

Look at those hips!

I'm growing Blueberry now, another plant I'm re-growing (my first time was with Dutch Passion's BB, this time it's with DJ Short's. Remind me to put that thread up too) and boy do I miss the Sensi Star ease of grow. No fuzz over nutrients, no bitching over ph or temps... like having kids in the house that do their homework voluntarily and go to bed when you tell them to (yes, I heard they exist).

I might grow you again soon baby...

PS; yes T.do.Toker, we did grow the Domina in our co-op grow, in NFT. Even though I'm not a huge fan of heavy eyelid-Indicas, I must say she's a wicked plant.

Last edited:

HOVAH

OH YES I LOVEDEDED DA SENSI STAR AS WELL , AND THANK YOU FOR HELPIN ME TO DECIDE TO BUY HER AGAIN . VERY NICE REPORTIN ON YOUR GROW TOO. 1HOV

Bonzo

Veteran
Hi Rosy, that looks like OGRE to me! one of the great things about OGRE besides being knock your dick in the dirt herb is for a so called "elite" would it be considered an elite? It is Bulletproof. Mites hate it, it can stand just about ant temp, never needs to be tied up. also has a nice window of harvest: up up and away at 65 or so and and all loss of bodily functions at 80 to 85 days. I will have ger for a long time to come.

and she does well as a bush or SOG

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Well, it's coming to a theatre near you, soon.

I can't really say which one is better between the Sensi Star and the Black Domina T. doT. Toker. I have a tendency to appreciate the Indicas with a bit of Sativa in them rather than the pure breeds, but that's just a personal preference. I think that potency-wise, they stand up to eachother.
The Black Domina is a taller, lankier plant (which is not really appreciated), but she yields better than the Sensi Star (that is an approximative estimation, because we grew Black Domina in NFT, and I grew these Sensi Stars in soil, and there's about 20% difference in yield between the two grow systems) and is less leafy and easier to trim.

Last edited: