What's new

Indoor growers with pets, help!

MedGuy510

No dogs are allowed in the grow room, however, we have a backyard they like to roam around in and interacting/touching the dogs or places where the dogs have been inside the house throughout the day is impossible. Getting rid of the dogs is impossible and making them outdoor dogs only is impossible.

I don't want bugs in my grow room and am looking for the best way to avoid an infestation. What do other pet owning growers do?

B420

Have never had a problem with the dog or cat, and I have even been known to allow them near grow, dog likes to watch my work in there. She will sit and watch everything I do hoping the whole while that I will have a fan leaf to feed her. I recently moved to a more pest ridden area though and I am just upping my flea/tick/etc prevention methods and sadly the dogs time in the grow area might just be ending.

Yeah, come to think of it the most serious problem has been plants being eaten... got a 2 month old black lab / border collie pup that eats up a red beer cup + clone in <1 second... then he runs under the closest bed. Little bastard has about another two weeks before he's too big to fit.

hbstoner

ya just keep them away and on flee medication. my dogs are on sentinel for heartworm/flee protection and i haven't seen a flee on them in 2 years.

hanuman

Animal bugs aren't plant bugs anyway. Can't imagine a blood-thirsty flea or tick being interested in sucking the sap or your plants...

h :ying:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Keep your room stocked with ladybugs, pred.mites, and nematodes,spray with neem, and you'll be fine.
SD :joint:

hbstoner

Animal bugs aren't plant bugs anyway. Can't imagine a blood-thirsty flea or tick being interested in sucking the sap or your plants...
h :ying:

True but dogs and cats that are outside a lot can bring in spider mites etc, in their hair. Better to just keep them away and you will be fine

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I have two cats so I filter my intakes like FreezeBoy taught me to :] I try to vacuum the carpet once a week to further prevent issues.

Greenjag

I'm pretty sure that my cats brought spidermite into my grow area but I eradicated the little bastards by using a flea bomb (the mites that is, not the cats!). Just press the trigger and get the fk out of there for a few hours. First time I've ever managed to annihilate them properly.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'm pretty sure that my cats brought spidermite into my grow area but I eradicated the little bastards by using a flea bomb (the mites that is, not the cats!). Just press the trigger and get the fk out of there for a few hours. First time I've ever managed to annihilate them properly.
I hope your plants aren't flowering!

Pactivist

Most plant specific insects do use animals to travel Imagine that you are a little pregnant female spidermite, you wouldn't want to lay your eggs where all of your relatives live. That would leave your offspring to compete with the thousands of mites already at this location. Now, being that you are a tiny creature, self travel is severely limited so what do you do? I'll tell you - you hop on the first warm blooded critter that happens to come your way. You hitch a ride for a while, jump off at a nice location, and proceed to infest the new area with thousands of your progeny. I know that this happens, because I used to have a cat that came and went as he pleased, and one of his favorite things was to lay under my lights to get all warm and cozy. Well, he carried in both thrips and spidermites and they caused almost a complete crop loss. Now that my cats are indoor only, the only other insect problem that I have had is directly attributable to me, I know for a fact that my last spider mite infestation was carried in on my clothes from my outdoor garden. Good idea to change (and maybe shower!) before visiting your grow - if you have been outside.
peAce,
pacT

Greenjag

I hope your plants aren't flowering!

Although I'm aware of the need for great care when applying 'kill all' remedies, I'll bet there are plenty of folk who ignore this at the expense of other's health.

You've raised a good point Hydro-Soil and it's something that everyone should know about. Myself, I wouldn't apply any kind of sulphur bomb beyond the first or second week of flowering. Gloop (UK product - water soluble glue that deprives mite of oxygen) is not bad at controlling pests, but if the buds are well formed then I wouldn't do anything anyway until I'd harvested.

Prevention is still the best cure!

Latest posts

Latest posts