What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sexing question

praxis13

Hello all,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I'd appreciate any advice. Please see attached photo... Which is male and female? They were planted at the same time.

Thank you,

P

troutman

Seed Whore
Below each pic in your album is a section called BB Code. Just copy and paste all that text into a post and your pic will show up. :tiphat:

I just saw your pic with those 2 little plants. There's no way to tell just yet. ;)

praxis13

Sorry, here is the images proper

Sorry, here is the images proper

Hopefully this is an easily accessible image.

Attachments

• PXL_20201009_220902161.jpg
    PXL_20201009_220902161.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 33

praxis13

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've added another post with the image which maybe is easier to access (had some problems on mobile).

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on things and keep posting. One thing that's surprising is the size difference between the two. Both have been in basically the same lighting, etc.

Best,

P

praxis13

Sorry, one other question, on a tangent...

The plants, as all do, tend to grow towards to the sun... should I rotate the pot to keep them in balance...

Thanks,

P

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
How many hours of light are you giving them?
As far as size goes there can be many causes for the difference. May be genetics, may be sex (males tend to be taller and less compact), but there no clear rule. Just make sure they are in 12 hours per day lighting in you want them to flower and then in about 2 to 3 weeks you should see the sex of the plant.
There is no need to rotate them, but there is no harm in doing that if you don't overdo it.

praxis13

Thanks much. They're getting about 12 hours per day down here near the equator, nix the shadows from buildings. Both seeds came from the same chunk of bud that I bought... Though it was commercial and bricked out so I guess it could've been different plants.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Don't worry about their sex, they'll make it clear in time for you to kill the boy/s if that's the plan.

praxis13

Don't worry about their sex, they'll make it clear in time for you to kill the boy/s if that's the plan.

Thanks all for the info. This brings up another question. Should I in fact take out the male? I only have two plants and this is my first shot. Is it always beneficial to kill the male even with such a small "experimental" grow?

Thanks,

P

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
That depends on whether or not you want to make more seeds for the future. If no, then yes, if yes then no.

praxis13

That depends on whether or not you want to make more seeds for the future. If no, then yes, if yes then no.

Yeah I don't really care about the seeds - these seeds could be garbage for all I know - I just want to try to grow my first bud! :)

By the way, does anyone know the pollination distance? Not that there are a lot of people around that are growing, but just curious.

Thank you,

P

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yes you will get buds, but the buds will have seeds in them from the combined genetics of the 2 plants. If you already have seeds to plant for the next grow, I would probably remove any male plants. If you do not have any seeds, I would probably keep them to make more.

praxis13

Cut leaves?

Cut leaves?

Thanks all for the info. If some leaves are turning a bit yellow, should I snip them? At the area that's yellow or the whole leaf?

Best,

P

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
You'd be better feeding or repotting them. Normal answer is no, leave them be.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If those seeds are from the same mother I would say the plant on the right is a male and the one on the left is a female. Females tend to spend a lot of early productivity on making roots to anchor the plant to handle a heavy load of flowers. Males on the other hand spend their early productivity above the ground for a lighter load of flowers.