What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST TIME YOU TRIED COLUMBIAN GOLD ?

graham12

I would just like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this strain of those of you who tried the real deal back in the 60s and 70s when it was popular. Could you possibly describe the high and what you personally loved about this strain ? and also how did it compare to what else you were smoking back then. ? maybe some of you didnt like it. Many thanks.

igrowone

Veteran
74/75 - i liked it very much
wasn't around long for the 1 version i am thinking of
probably the sweetest, best feeling high i've ever had
very pretty buds
had a good connection for red tip columbian for quite a while
and that was damn good too, but wasn't as good as the CG

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Ahhh.. That would be 1972

Ahhh.. That would be 1972

I bought a lid (I thought it was too small)

It was Golden alright, so I took my first toke.
:party:
My mouth went dry immediately, my eyes lit up.

It was the first time I got stoned off 1 hit.

Hehe .. Thanks for reminding me.

Grizz

Veteran
75, loved the taste but after smoking nothing but mex brick weed about anything would taste good, lol really loved the true gold though, I would love to have it again, man that was a longgggg time ago.good memories.

dddaver

Veteran
'72. Bright gold colored. It was sold under the name Acapulco Gold, but who knows? May well have been grown in Columbia.

bigAl25

Veteran
Kept a few buds in a film container in my piece of shit Chrysler TC3. Did not take it out of my glove box when I sent the car in for service. Upon return of auto from Chrysler dealer the Colombian gold was gone. Talk about a bummer. It was beautiful get you going, up high weed. I only lost a few grams, but was never able to find it again from my hairdresser. To the thief at the car dealership: Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, and you could have left a $20 bill in the glove box, you asshole.

prune

Veteran
Like joesy says, after all the mex brick of the 60's the influx of Columbian in the early 70's was a welcome relief. In the nyc area we would have new choices every other week, golds, reds, khaki greens - all unique flavors and effects.

Usually, the golds were the most "Sativa" like high with an electric energy that kept you moving, smiling, and humming. Flavors did not approach the florals and fruits we get today with modern amenities, but were still definable amongst themselves in an herbal and spicy manner. A bone would keep you engaged for 1-2 hrs with average usage, and even then was preferred for daytime and sexual use because of it's non-dulling and high-ceiling buzz. At the time it was valued at 35-45oz compared to mex at 20oz.

The other predominant Columbian choice were the reddish strains, which were generally darker, denser, sweeter and stronger in a more hard brick. Some used these as an alcohol substitute, best used at night or in groups. Same price scale and a lot of people preferred these on a bang-for-buck basis.

The popularity and profit of the Columbians encouraged other high quality imports like the jamaicans, panamas, premium mexicans and eventually se asians in the early to mid 70's. All unique and engaging, we loved to smoke and review j after j all night long. Generally the debate centered on the more demonstrable "body" high of the heavier strains vs the questing ethereal energy of the "Golds".

All that stuff was ~9/10 compared to brick at 7/10, until the Thai and Buddah sticks showed up at 11/10 and knocked the SA down to 8/10… lol

fulltimehuman

I always did, but wondering do you guys think that the columbians and gold sativa strains kind of remind you of thai strains? Just with a little less squint in the face astringency. my recollection......

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was in 79 and I managed to get a ounce of it after some bit of hassle, as I did not know the dealer and had to kind of be 'worked' into the deal. Had trouble coming up with the $45 too. I was always short of cash back then and just went with the cheaper mexican pot which worked well enough in most cases.

Smoked a bit with the dealer and 1 other time before my dad went thru my room and took my prized stash while I was out working or something. Supreme bummer.

Anyways, the buzz was up and cerebral. Taste was spice and incense, unique. I liked it but was a bit nervous just sitting and chilling, better for activities imo. Immature seeds in it and the buds were not terribly smashed flat like some imports. Quite fresh stuff, high quality.

I had smoked some red and green colombian before the gold and they were a bit more body stone or balanced. I preferred them as I liked to just chill out, still do.

Snype

Veteran
I enjoy hearing about the CG's. I've never smoked it but my old mentor used to tell me it was the best bud he ever smoked. Specifically 1973 Santa Marta Columbian Gold. He kept thousands of seeds and had them all labeled. He gave me thousands of the best batch but they are very old and were not stored properly. I keep trying to germinate them but once the tap root comes out it turns to mush. I'm hoping that one day I'll get a seed to germinate.

He has talked to me for many hours about the Columbian Gold. Over and over and over many times. He said most people never got to really get to see what he saw because he took seed with him to Greece and grew females with no seed in the intense sun. He said it was so Electric and compared it to cocaine. He said when he would smoke people up with a joint, that they would think it was laced with some other drug. He would crack up laughing every time he told me that. He was a real character.

He said when it wasn't seeded, it was more potent. The seed was kept in an attic for many years. I have a feeling that one day I'll find a way to make a seed sprout and hopefully be able to see what you guys are talking about. He said it was the best bud he's ever smoked. The best bud that I ever smoked in my life was strains that he created in the 90's so I take what he says very seriously. Any time I bring up an "Elite Clone Only" he laughs and says they'll never compare to the stock that he has. He was kind of right though because his stuff was more potent than most of my Clone Only's. Last time I talked to him he was growing out his old Thai stock which is what most of his stuff is based on.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Yeah Skype ....

Yeah Skype ....

Back in the day...let's say 1973...

We were not hip about the differences between the males and females.

We got our Kilos in bricks for $90. We would break them down and take out the loose seeds a remove the big stems and we were ready.

I remember thinking how much better the heavily seeded pot was compared to pot without many seeds.

We went through 3 or 4 kilos a month. We used to keep our seeds in Fruit Cake tins, each holding thousands of seeds.

We grew plants by the thousands....

We would till the soil and spread a tin of seeds. The result was a backyard of 7 foot plants.

Oh those were the days.
:party:
Then I bought a Phototron 3000 and learned about Females.

I haven't looked back since, but wish I'd run into some Gold.

El Gato

On June 17th 1975 I bought a QP of some of the best weed I ever put my hands on, threw it in my van and we hit the road for Uniondale, New York and the Nassau Coliseum to see PINK FLOYD (wish you were here tour) What a fricken show....rolled back in to town 4 days latter on Saturday morning, 3 joints to spare!

Cool Moe

Veteran
The very best Colombian gold I ever smoked was circa 1979-1980. The buds were smaller than usual and rock-solid and like an earlier poster said, the bag seemed small for that reason. Color was a reddish-gold hue that was very unique. But the trait I remember most was that it immediately blew up in your lungs, it just couldn't be held in. We called it "Expando Bo." Smell was the super-sweet hashy catpiss, and it made your eyes redder than a fire engine. Dealer charged $45 per zip instead of the usual $40--it was THAT good!

One of the top 3 strains ever from my youth that I still daydream about today, even though it was 35 years ago. Hawaiian weed in a sealed coffee can was my favorite flavor ever, Jamaican weed with long colas the size of your forearms and a high more like mushrooms than herb, and the Colombian gold that just blew the fuck up, painted the eyes red and stoned you to the absolute bone. Those were the good ol' days.

It was in the 70s. Cerebral giggly mind expanding high.....expanded immensely in your lungs when toked. I still have original seed stock from then. Also old seed stock of panama and lambsbread. Going to germinate some this year.....it has been 7 years since I grew any.....Got caught up with the connoisseur breeds for years plus a strain of cross breed that I have been working on for 5 seasons.

M

moose eater

'75. Had been smoking lots of good to excellent quality Mexican, with the rare Panama Red. Oaxaca Tops (1 ft. long+) wrapped in loose paper, in 1/4 lb. bundles were there then and before, as well. Even the brick weed was from honorable and connected Mexican folks, and it was good.

The first Colombian Gold had a slightly hash-meets-wispy flavor, far superior to the Mexican commercial decent brick, and six of us smoked a pin joint in a basement. The littlest fellow with us was sitting on a Triumph 650 chopper with a springer front-end against a wall. We're all talking, amazingly high from what we'd just inhaled (maybe 2-3 tokes each of modest proportion), when some startled sound abruptly emerges from the shadows near where the Triumph was stored in the basement.

Poor little feller sitting on the bike, with his feet barely touching, was apparently falling over. A testament to the experience.

A much deeper and brighter effect than most other versions back then, including the exceptional Oaxaca Tops.

Probably comparable to the incredible true Panama Red, though -that- was also in a genre of its own.

These days when the gummint cites the BS put out by the Mississippi Monitoring Project from back in those days, claiming the average weed folks smoked was about 1%-3% THC content, those of us who experienced that transition, just look at each other and either get irritated at the propaganda machine, or grin a big cynical smile.

hayday

Veteran
it was about 74 or so.
i got a whitie and threw up.i was just a kid at the speedway races
killer weed

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Not as old as some. But back in the late 90's early 00's. We used to get gold by the truck load. Went under the name Sexy Mexy. Sometimes thick gold Columbian, other times thinner yet still dense and gold Acapulco. Large latino population in our area. But came from a serious old head with locks to the ground. My mom and uncle flipped the first time I brought some home. Strong, earthy sweet taste, red eyed high. Squinty! Always had a few seeds. Some of the best genetics I ever grew. Easy to tell it was the precursor to Skunk.