What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri-clamps

IdahOg

In the pursuit of the safest possible operating conditions I have come across two different options for tri-clamps.
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
The first picture is a bogart 304 stainless steel tri clamp.
The second is a fhs 304 stainless steel.
I've had multiple leaks when using the bogart and the gap between clamps seem to be obvious weak points. When a gas leak occurs at the clamp gap I've tried to tighten the clamp bolts to halt the leak this most often times makes matters worse.
The fhs I've only had one leak and the problem was easily solved by tightening the clamps.
The fhs seems to eliminate the potential vulnerability of gas leaks.
Is one safer than the other by eliminating the gap between clamps.
And what are some opinions and operating experiences with these two different
clamps ?

thanks

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the pursuit of the safest possible operating conditions I have come across two different options for tri-clamps.
View attachment 433144
View attachment 433145
The first picture is a bogart 304 stainless steel tri clamp.
The second is a fhs 304 stainless steel.
I've had multiple leaks when using the bogart and the gap between clamps seem to be obvious weak points. When a gas leak occurs at the clamp gap I've tried to tighten the clamp bolts to halt the leak this most often times makes matters worse.
The fhs I've only had one leak and the problem was easily solved by tightening the clamps.
The fhs seems to eliminate the potential vulnerability of gas leaks.
Is one safer than the other by eliminating the gap between clamps.
And what are some opinions and operating experiences with these two different
clamps ?

thanks

We switched from the 13 MHP to the SSH from LJ Star, to meet certification requrements of 350 psi on our up to 6" applications.

We switched to an ASME clamp for the pressure pot.

HWY36

We switched from the 13 MHP to the SSH from LJ Star, to meet certification requrements of 350 psi on our up to 6" applications.

We switched to an ASME clamp for the pressure pot.

What is 13 MHP? I did a million Google searches and can't find what it means (I know they're high pressure clamps, just don't know what 13 MHP stands for).

Are they safe for use with propane?

HWY36

Wowza, I did one for 13 mhp clamp and here is the first one that came up, but which demonstrates what it is.

https://www.ctecsanitary.com/13MHP-HIGH-PRESSURE-BOLTED-CLAMP.html

They are rated for 350 psi up to 4" but 6" requires going to an SSH high pressure clamp.

Thx GW. I know the difference when looking at them. I didn't know if the 13 stood for something and maybe MHP was an acronym for Metal High Pressure or something, SSH was Stainless Steel H....?
Sorry for the superfluous questions. I guess the only thing I need to know is that 4" is rated to 350 and SSH is more heavy duty. Thx again.