You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > A Journey into Grafting

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
A Journey into Grafting Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM #1
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to behold
A Journey into Grafting

It's been ages since I grafted anything. And never tried Cannabis.

I have high hopes of flowering a single plant with loads of different strains!!

So I started of with a Skywalker OG as the "base" plant. This is a node that I cloned a little while ago.

And the "donor" plant a Platinum OG. We want healthy growth and a diameter close to the base plant.

Wet the area to be cut. First cut the stem straight across. Then cut a steep V notch. You need to be careful to cut just deep enough to remove the middle. If you over cut at all you lose healthy tissue at graft site. And it will fail.

mushroombrew is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 AM #2
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to beholdmushroombrew is a splendid one to behold
Next we take the donor cut. Again wet the area to be cut.

We cut a steep point to match the V in the base plant.

Drop it immediately into water. So it doesn't dry out while you do the rest.

I use a 1mm copper Bonsai wire. Wrap it tight around the donor plant
just below the V.

Keep misting the V to keep it wet.
Now you need a strip of cling wrap and the donor cut.

Place the donor into the V

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 AM #3
mushroombrew

Now use the wire to tightly wrap the graft and secure the donor. Bonsai wire is super easy to use. Then mist the graft one last time. Wrap the cling wrap tightly around the graft. We want to seal it really well. You can buy grafting tape but Cling wrap is fine.

Cut the zipper of a zipper! And label it according to the donor plant.

Mist the clone and the inside of bag and secure it over the entire graft. We need moisture for the clone and the cut site too.

Last edited by mushroombrew; 10-11-2017 at 04:49 PM..

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 AM #4
mushroombrew

This is the Platinum OG I took the cut from.

Decided to give it a new top!

Had to wrap the wire up and over as the Road Warrior clone was small.

Platinum OG Bush with a single Road Warrior cola!! Will flip her as soon as the graft takes. So cool!

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 AM #5
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud ofPDX Dopesmoker has much to be proud of
Looking forward to watching how this works out, very interesting topic for people growing on small legal plant counts.
PDX Dopesmoker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:50 PM #6
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant future
Cool thread mushroom Brew!

I spend a few days every spring grafting tomato plants.

Looking forward to see this outcome!

Vibes bro
Lester Beans is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM #7
mushroombrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post
Looking forward to watching how this works out, very interesting topic for people growing on small legal plant counts.
I am thinking about putting 4 strains on one plant. The here in OR you could grow 16 strains with 4 plants! Besides a plant with two different buds will look sick!

Last edited by mushroombrew; 10-11-2017 at 04:51 PM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM #8
mushroombrew

@Lester.

What do you gain from your tomato grafting. Is it just for fun?

And how well does it work?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM #9
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Thanks for sharing.
That could be useful for sitting on long flowering sativas while deciding if they are worth keeping around. A mother bush with several strains only taking up one plant for the count.
My only experience is grafting cacti, but that was fun and rewarding in many ways.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 PM #10
mushroombrew

Cacti must work well. I know succulents do. I saw a huge succulent base plant with 40 species growing together!! Just a little time and patience...