I got the test results back and am just now doing some analysis on it. I'm very impressed with the rosin results both in potency and the lack of decarb. There was some confusion on the tinctures as they were both labeled the same on the results, not like I labeled my samples. That's OK, with a little math it becomes obvious which one is which.
Part of this project is to look at the conversion rate from THCA to THC, as a metric I am using the following formula.
CONV = 100 *( THC / ( THC + THCA ) )
This gives us the percentage of THCA that has converted to THC.
First up are the Delicious Candy Flowers. These tested at 16% Max THC. It definitely falls in line with both my estimate (20%) and my bioassay of the flowers. These are very fresh flowers that were harvested just last month (12/10/2016), so it's no surprise that CONV = 2.6%.
The rosin results blew my mind. I was estimating around 60%, but it tested at 71%! Since there was heat and pressure applied briefly, I was expecting some amount of decarb. While more than the raw flowers, I was still happy with CONV = 6.5%
Next up is the flower tincture. This tested at 21 mg / ml which falls in line with 1/2 - 1 ml doses. Now, for some math to verify that this is the flower tincture. I used 8 grams of the 16% flowers reduced to two ounces (60 ml) of tincture.
( 8000 mg * 0.16 ) / 60 ml = 21.3333 mg / ml
Pretty damn close! I messed up a bit on this sample and used heat to reduce the ethanol to two ounces, so it's not surprising that CONV = 15.6%. A little bit higher than it should have been, but that shouldn't matter too much.
Finally, we have the rosin tincture. This test came in at about 14 mg / ml. It's about 33% less potent than the flower tincture. I believe this is a result of the second rinse, and a second press on the rosin may bring the numbers back in line. To make these two equal I would need 1.8 grams of rosin. The math works out here too. I used 1.15 grams of rosin dissolved in two ounces of ethanol.
( 1150 mg * 0.71 ) / 60 ml = 13.6083 mg / ml
Again, it's pretty damn close! Math saved the day again! Since no additional heat was added, the conversion falls in line at CONV = 8.5%.
Over all, everything turned out as well as can be expected. I still want to work on some decarb of the rosin. While it's not as efficient, using the rosin is quicker and uses considerably less alcohol.