Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Micro Grows > ReikoX's Workshop 2017

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Zamnesia
ReikoX's Workshop 2017 Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM #11
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
It's getting crowded in here, let me grab some more buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasvi View Post
Subscribed! Cant wait to see that pc up and running again. What strains you are going to use for pollen chucking?
I'm either going to pop some Jilly Bean and make some F2s and probably chuck some of that pollen on everything I have. Or I'm going to pop some Lowryder autos-flowers and chuck that on a bunch of other auto-flowers I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cur View Post
I love his PC as well and hope he has another go at it!

I have been saying for years I would get mine together when I am not randomly tested anymore... and, well, that just happened. His build is an inspiration for mine, that's for sure!
I remember back in the day there were quite a few people who loved my Alienware PC as a gaming machine. Now the love continues as a grow box, it's a pretty dope looking case

I'm glad you now get to make your own grow box. It is a great hobby. If you need any advice, I'm happy to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynx View Post
Cool thread! Looking forward to seeing the next round in the new cab.

Wish I could test some of the strains I have. What do they charge you for the tests? Do you get terps and thc results?
Welcome blynx! I'm looking forward to the next round with the screens for sure. The perpetual SOG needs work. I am still working out how tall to have each strain when it goes in. I also am working out a feed schedule. If I can't get that dialed in, I will likely make screens for that side too.

The testing is a bit pricey, but worth it to know the "real" numbers. I just got the standard potency and it cost an arm ($50 plus tax) for each test. To get the terpenes tested would cost me a leg. I just got the test results back and am reviewing them now. There was an issue with the labeling, I don't know for sure which tincture is from the rosin. I'm sure they can help me sort it out. I did a bit of math and am pretty sure which one is the rosin.
ReikoX is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:18 PM #12
Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle is a jewel in the roughMr. Sparkle is a jewel in the roughMr. Sparkle is a jewel in the roughMr. Sparkle is a jewel in the roughMr. Sparkle is a jewel in the roughMr. Sparkle is a jewel in the rough
I've always wanted to try out some jilly bean, but mind you for making crosses with sub-cool says it's pretty unstable and will hermi at any chance it can get so, kinda have to consider if you want those genetics in your potential crosses.

Id say do both if just looking for some random seed, unless you have a direction with what you want to do breeding wise.
Mr. Sparkle is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 PM #13
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to allReikoX is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I've always wanted to try out some jilly bean, but mind you for making crosses with sub-cool says it's pretty unstable and will hermi at any chance it can get so, kinda have to consider if you want those genetics in your potential crosses.

Id say do both if just looking for some random seed, unless you have a direction with what you want to do breeding wise.
I got some from a dispensary this weekend, and if I can find the same phenotype I will be in hog heaven. The stuff smelled like tangerines! The rosin is like taking a bite out of it. The most orange flavor I have ever gotten out of a cultivar.

That's my main reason to pop the seeds. Since they are regular seeds, I might as well pollen chuck. I use that term because this is not breeding, just making some seeds to hunt through.
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2017, 09:27 PM #14
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

I got the test results back and am just now doing some analysis on it. I'm very impressed with the rosin results both in potency and the lack of decarb. There was some confusion on the tinctures as they were both labeled the same on the results, not like I labeled my samples. That's OK, with a little math it becomes obvious which one is which.

Part of this project is to look at the conversion rate from THCA to THC, as a metric I am using the following formula.
CONV = 100 *( THC / ( THC + THCA ) )
This gives us the percentage of THCA that has converted to THC.

First up are the Delicious Candy Flowers. These tested at 16% Max THC. It definitely falls in line with both my estimate (20%) and my bioassay of the flowers. These are very fresh flowers that were harvested just last month (12/10/2016), so it's no surprise that CONV = 2.6%.

The rosin results blew my mind. I was estimating around 60%, but it tested at 71%! Since there was heat and pressure applied briefly, I was expecting some amount of decarb. While more than the raw flowers, I was still happy with CONV = 6.5%

Next up is the flower tincture. This tested at 21 mg / ml which falls in line with 1/2 - 1 ml doses. Now, for some math to verify that this is the flower tincture. I used 8 grams of the 16% flowers reduced to two ounces (60 ml) of tincture.
( 8000 mg * 0.16 ) / 60 ml = 21.3333 mg / ml
Pretty damn close! I messed up a bit on this sample and used heat to reduce the ethanol to two ounces, so it's not surprising that CONV = 15.6%. A little bit higher than it should have been, but that shouldn't matter too much.

Finally, we have the rosin tincture. This test came in at about 14 mg / ml. It's about 33% less potent than the flower tincture. I believe this is a result of the second rinse, and a second press on the rosin may bring the numbers back in line. To make these two equal I would need 1.8 grams of rosin. The math works out here too. I used 1.15 grams of rosin dissolved in two ounces of ethanol.
( 1150 mg * 0.71 ) / 60 ml = 13.6083 mg / ml
Again, it's pretty damn close! Math saved the day again! Since no additional heat was added, the conversion falls in line at CONV = 8.5%.

Over all, everything turned out as well as can be expected. I still want to work on some decarb of the rosin. While it's not as efficient, using the rosin is quicker and uses considerably less alcohol.
ReikoX is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 AM #15
Buddah Watcha

Buddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of lightBuddah Watcha is a glorious beacon of light
Right on Reiko, always enjoyed your threads! Will definitely tag along this one!
Buddah Watcha is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 AM #16
doams

doams is a jewel in the roughdoams is a jewel in the roughdoams is a jewel in the roughdoams is a jewel in the roughdoams is a jewel in the roughdoams is a jewel in the rough
those decarb values
how do they test it are they heating the flowers or are the results measured off dry bud that decarbed over time naturally without them testers using heat or are they heating the buds and those are the results we see?
cbda is like thca it changes to cbd over time or with heat/air etc. right?
doams is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 PM #17
ice-cream

ice-cream is on a distinguished road
I wont pretend to understand the reports, but you sound happy, so sounds like congratulates are in order
ice-cream is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM #18
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doams View Post
those decarb values
how do they test it are they heating the flowers or are the results measured off dry bud that decarbed over time naturally without them testers using heat or are they heating the buds and those are the results we see?
cbda is like thca it changes to cbd over time or with heat/air etc. right?
The decarb values are calculated based on the measured values. You see they use the formula THCA*0.88+THC in this report. When THCA converts to THC, the carboxyl group is released and the mass is reduced. The 0.88 represents the loss in mass. It's really only important if you are trying to get accurate dosing for edibles and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-cream View Post
I wont pretend to understand the reports, but you sound happy, so sounds like congratulates are in order
The reports are pretty straight forward. They are simply measuring the cannabanoids to determine potency. 15-20% is pretty good, 30% is AAA+ top shelf.
ReikoX is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM #19
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

I am an engineer at heart, not just by trade. I'm sure any of you who have seen my builds will notice that. As a result I am always thinking about something. I like to design and build stuff, and often over engineer the simplest of projects.

So I've been reading about custom built drying rooms. Basically it is a sealed room with an air conditioner and dehumidifier. They then set the temperature and humidity for the ideal conditions (usually 60°F and 60%RH). But what about us micro guys? I live in an arid climate and often struggle to keep humidity up and slow the drying process. Small plants also dry a lot faster. So I started thinking about a drying cabinet.

First thing I looked at what was available off the shelf. Mostly everything was a cabinet with an inadequate filter. I did see one box that used a humidity controller and exhaust fans, but no odor control. Another was lined with Spanish cedar, but was almost $1000.

So I started to look at small dehumidifiers. They exist and are pretty reasonably priced. As they are designed though, they have no humidity control and heat up the air quite a bit. But the technology that drives them got my interest.

These small dehumidifiers use a Peltier, also known as a thermoelectric, plate. If you don't know, they basically move heat from one side (cold side) to the other side (hot side) when electricity is applied. They can even switch hot and cold sides by reversing polarity. They are also used in electric camping coolers, now we are getting somewhere!

While doing research I found a humidor that used one to control temperature. I found several fermentation chambers using these. I even saw a grow box using them for cooling. They were using almost 1000W to cool around 300W of lighting. Terribly inefficient, but under the right conditions may be useful. For example, they may work wonderfully to cool COB lighting similar to how they are used to cool PC chips.

So my idea is starting to form, but I'm debating if this project is worth the time and money. I can dry my weed in a shoe box with a bit of time and effort.

Basically I would need to build a well insulated cab with both temperature and humidity control. I would need to engineer it to use the peltier plates to dehumidifier and cool. Most likely an Arduino board and code to control it, which is something I've wanted to play with. Pricing out parts it would cost a bit more than I would like.

Basically I want a cab big enough to hang about 200 grams dry weight. It would have to be completely sealed for odor prevention, and of course the temperature and humidity control. The goal would be to wet trim the bud, hang it in the cab, set the temp and humidity and leave it. If it maintains well I may even cure in there.

What do you guys think? Should i even bother? It's definitely over engineered, but there is nothing like it on the market. I can see something like this being popular for small personal grows.
ReikoX is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:55 PM #20
ice-cream

ice-cream is on a distinguished road
I'd certainly be interested to watch any build you did from the tech side of things. I dont think I'd have a need in my climate though ...
ice-cream is offline Quote