What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarb-ing hash using water and a pressure cooker?

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Greetings,
I have a good amount of cooking grade hash. I want to decarb it to incorporate it into home made kahlua. If i place the hash into a sturdy glass, fill that glass with enough water to cover the hash ( but leaving enough head room in the glass so it wont over flow when boiling), place that glass into a pressure cooker capeable of reaching 15psi (250f) and then heat this set up for aprx 25-30 mins, will i reach a good decarb?

Grow Tech

Veteran
Microplane and put it in the oven, 252F/27min

I think i know what you mean by microplane but can you elaborate?

Also, this is some pretty wet bubble hash i have (been keeping it in the freezer to prevent mold) if that would altrer your approach

Ive kinda been trying to avoid the dry heating approach because of the smell factor

Last edited:

Kushed_

Yes, it would alter my approach. Was the hash made from older, dry material? If so, it is already partially to mostly decarbed. Try incorporating enough for one glass of Kaklua, and see if it is strong enough for you. I don't see the pressure cooker method working. The pressure works by heating water to create steam. The first problem would be the bottom of your pressure cooker, without ay water on the bottom, would get extermely hot and warp. Half of the hash would probably boil out of the jar, along with the water.

Grow Tech

Veteran
The hash was made with fresh herb so decarb-ing is a must

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions appreciated.
Grey Wolf suggested i put the hash in a container submerged in an oil bath.
Ive done that b4 and it did work but it was kinda a pain in the ass & stunk up the house. My neighbor is a anti-420 type so i want to avoid stinkin up the neighborhood

Grow Tech

Veteran
So...I figured what the hell. I got the hash and I want to see wha happens.

I loaded 40 grams of what I'd call cooking grade bubble hash into a very sturdy glass. The hash was very wet so who knows how many gramss it would have weighed if dried
picture.php

I covered the glass with foil
picture.php

and placed in my pressure cooker which i had already boiling
picture.php

I put the cover on the cooker and waited for the indicator to register it had gotten to 15 psi ( 250f ). I then let it cook for 30 mins. I figured aprx 3 mins for the glass and contents to get to temp and then 27 mins at 250 which seems to be about the magic amount of time on the decarb charts i've seen. After that time I released the steam...the process to release the steam & open the cooker took another 4 mins so even though the temp was declining I'd guess the decarb process was still occuring to some extent. The hash ended up weighing 33 grams and looks like this

picture.php

picture.php

I'll be dissolving this in to Everclear and then using that to make home made Kaluha

Cheers!

Last edited:

Grow Tech

Veteran
Cool! You can have your hash lab tested, and you will be able to see how decarbed it is. When you dissolve in Everclear are you going to filter before using? My thread may have some useful info for you.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=256075

Not sure if I'll filter it or not. It would make a finer end product. If I knew that the 750 mL of Everclear I used wasnt totally saturated with as much THC as it could hold then I def would because I would assume any sediment was non-psychoactive. I could run it through a cone type paper coffee filter or I also have a piece of 20 micro filter cloth I could sacrafice.

One note, the glass was elevated off the bottom of the pressure cooker using an inverted steamer. Did this to avoid the extreme heat of the bottom of the cooker.

Latest posts

Latest posts