What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercially Made Edibles

Kushed_

How do the commercial bakers measure the THC content of their products? I bought a Kiva Dark Choclate bar, It states 180 mg THC. They are suggesting 45 mg per dose.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm guessing that they have samples tested at a lab for percent THC.

Then it's a simple weigh and multiply equation...

I'm simply guessing.

I'd eat half of the thing if I were you. ;)

theJointedOne

Veteran
i emailed them once to see if they used bho in there recipe, no reply...i took that as a yes..

sad really

if i buy edibles at a d now i always make sure they use ganja butter or bubble hash or keef

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
because of the solvent used in making it and the impurities it may leave behind.

best solvent is water. or no solvent.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Butane is one of the cleanest solvents next to propane. If you are saying the impurities are mercaptans than i understand but if not, what other impurities are there? Once you cook your bho into something wouldnt the butane just purge off super fast in your oven if there was any left? Makes no sense to me but i am no scientist.

When cooking with BHO one usually decarboxylates the oil at a high temp (180-220F) in order to activate the thc orally. Since butane boils at around 32F, the high heat from the dacarb process also purges off most of the butane, so there should be little to none left in most properly made bho edibles.

To the OP, I would bet they mix in BHO with a known THC% and fraction out the dosages from there. Or they might just use the raw weight of the BHO per chocolate as your dosage amount.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
edibles made from BHO taste WAY better than edibles made from flowers or hash. I know lots of "processed" foods use butane as solvent as well. I remember reading something about making chicken nuggets, it involved butane. Not saying that it is healthy for you, but I imagine we already eat foods that use this method all the time.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Alot of the suggested doses IMO are false one would have to get the oil, hash, flower/trim tested after its been decarboxylated then each edible would have to have an exact amount of oil, hash, flower/trim added for you to be able to accuratly say they contain a certain amount of cannabinoids. Most edibles are made in large batches and are inconsistent Imo. Individually filled and wieghed capsules are the best way to accuratly know your dosage, I like to make my capsules with 1:1 ratio of decarboxylated qwet oil or absolute amber to organic coconut oil. My capsules usually contain 100mg - 300mg of decarbed oil and are very strong, most of the time too strong. Anyone planning on conusimg bho orally I suggest to wash and winterize it with 190 proof ethanol to remove residual solvents from the intitial butane extraction along with plant waxes, lipids and fats, this is called an absolute. If you want to avoid butane all together, but still want to have super strong edibles then just do quick wash ethanol extraction on low quality bubble hash or kief for a very a potent safe to consume oil.

Kushed_

I like to make my capsules with 1:1 ratio of decarboxylated qwet oil or absolute amber to organic coconut oil. My capsules usually contain 100mg - 300mg of decarbed oil and are very strong, most of the time too strong. Anyone planning on conusimg bho orally I suggest to wash and winterize it with 190 proof ethanol to remove residual solvents from the intitial butane extraction along with plant waxes, lipids and fats, this is called an absolute. If you want to avoid butane all together, but still want to have super strong edibles then just do quick wash ethanol extraction on low quality bubble hash or kief for a very a potent safe to consume oil.

I am glad that I came back to this suggestion. I have been making Bad Kitty's Hash Caps, but they really are not strong enough. Now that I have EtOH, I think this is a great idea, thanks.

The QWET I made is SAP. This seems like it would take a long time to digest. Are you heating the coconut oil and hash to mix it together? Do you decarb before or after the extraction?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the butane used to make most bho is no good in food, that's the bottom line

IF purged properly ya it could be ok, but as a rule edibles makers should use extracts from other processes than bho...
that seems to be the rule around my neck of the woods

groer

I have been making Bad Kitty's Hash Caps, but they really are not strong enough. Now that I have EtOH, I think this is a great idea, thanks.

Glad im not the only one, they work ok but brownies seem to work a lot better. I have to eat 3/4 gram of dry ice hash for a 4 hour buzz...

groer

I just got to say I made the bad kitty pills again this time decarboxolyzed at 250 instead of 220 and they work much better.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
ive made bad kity caps they were strong as hell , I eat my bho/qwiso/ qweth if i decarb em , safe of safer than dabbin imo, I thin flim vac purge over heat ,.... I gotta say very lil to no solvent in my extract I would think , Ive recently been making home made cheeba chews , outta tootsie rolls and oil. strong enough if u want to seee the devil!

TS