What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jerry Garcia Growing Up

Jerry_Garcia

So the Tropic of Censers are at day 52, looking/smelling good and still fattening up. Per the breeder, these should go 8-9 weeks so maybe these will be done sometime late next week or early the following week. Recall these are in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and feed with Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect 3 part formula. It certainly has worked well.

The veg tent is starting to look a little crowded. The Cherry Pies (the left three in my veg tent pic) have been transplanted into their final 5 gallon fabric pots. They are at 29 days since breaking soil. The Sexbuds (smaller plants on the right) are still in their 1.5 gallon pots and are on day 20. All are being topped at least twice. My plan is to harvest the TOC's when they are ready, move the Cherry Pie's and Sexbuds out into the flower room for a few more weeks veg and hang the harvested TOC's in my tent to dry. I am controlling the temp and humidity in the tent well so I think drying them in there is my best option. I have been drying my plants in my open basement and I'm certain I have been drying them too fast given my humidity in there is so low this time of year. I may take some cuttings off the Cherry Pies and Sexbuds this go around and run them again...still undecided. I would do that just before putting them into flower. I'm going with a living soil this go around and excited to see how that goes.

Someone had asked how my 315 cmh was working in my veg tent. I'll tell ya, it's proving to me it's all I need in there. All are healthy and vigorous.

Happy growing everyone and stay lifted!

Attachments

• photo2031894.jpg
    photo2031894.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 31
  • photo2032028.jpg
    photo2032028.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 29

Jerry_Garcia

So, I'm at day 59 with the TOC's. Looking very good and still have a little bit to go. I keep checking trichomes and I'm just seeing very few ambers so maybe these will go 65-70 days. We'll see.

One problem, there always seems to be one, is that my veg tent is getting overgrown. I have the 3 Cherry Pies in their 5 gallon fabric pots but I have the 7 Sexbud still in their 1.5 gallon plastics. If I were to transplant all 7, there is no way I can get them all in the tent. I know I am risking these getting awfully rootbound so I need a plan. Given the Sexbud's are really taking off with long internodal spacing, I may transplant all 7 and put 2 or 3 in the flower room alongside the finishing TOC's. The 4 or 5 left over Sexbud's will then fit in the tent and I'll veg them until the TOC's finish. Then those and the 3 Cherry Pie's will head to the flower room while I harvest and hang the drying TOC's in the tent. I think I'm gonna go with that plan and get the Sexbud's transplanted tonight.

Quick question for you folks, what do you consider optimal humidity and temperature as you start hang drying? I've heard 68-70DF to start with humidity around 55%. Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo2033591.jpg
    photo2033591.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 23

Crazy Chester

Quick question for you folks, what do you consider optimal humidity and temperature as you start hang drying? I've heard 68-70DF to start with humidity around 55%. Thoughts?
Temp and humidity sounds good - if you maintain that over the entire drying period, I think it will be stellar. But, if I have the ability to dial in temp and humidity, I like to start off with a lower humidity (35-40%) and then work my way to a higher humidity towards the end of drying (55-60%), just because it seems to lop a few hours off the time it takes to dry, while not lessening the quality of the buds prior to curing. Yet that's totally unnecessary and only benefits the impatient (a little).

Jerry_Garcia

Temp and humidity sounds good - if you maintain that over the entire drying period, I think it will be stellar. But, if I have the ability to dial in temp and humidity, I like to start off with a lower humidity (35-40%) and then work my way to a higher humidity towards the end of drying (55-60%), just because it seems to lop a few hours off the time it takes to dry, while not lessening the quality of the buds prior to curing. Yet that's totally unnecessary and only benefits the impatient (a little).

Thanks Chester! Yeah, my curing game needs to step up a bit. There is no doubt I was drying my past grows way to fast. The smoke is very good but the smell and taste just isn't there. I think being able to dial in temp and humidity inside the tent will help immensely.

I'm thinking I may pull some clones off both the Cherry Pie's and Sexbud's just in case there is something special I find. Time to pull out the EasyCloner and hope my cuttings shoot roots as easily as last time.

Keep growing and stay lifted my friends

Crazy Chester

Thanks Chester! Yeah, my curing game needs to step up a bit. There is no doubt I was drying my past grows way to fast. The smoke is very good but the smell and taste just isn't there. I think being able to dial in temp and humidity inside the tent will help immensely.

I'm thinking I may pull some clones off both the Cherry Pie's and Sexbud's just in case there is something special I find. Time to pull out the EasyCloner and hope my cuttings shoot roots as easily as last time.

Keep growing and stay lifted my friends

Here's rooting for roots!

Jerry_Garcia

So I put the TOCs under the microscope this morning. I'll post a pic and hopefully it comes through well. A little bit to go...a few more amber trichomes and we'll give the girls the chop.

So all the Sexbuds were transplanted. What I ended up doing was put 2 of the Cherry Pies and 4 Sexbuds in the flower room. It's jam packed but it will due while the TOCs finish. The remaining are still in the veg tent but I flipped them to 12/12 under the 315 cmh.

So I'd like your guys take on when to pull clones. Of course when they are in veg is optimal but I don't have that luxury. Once my TOCs finish, they are going to the tent for drying and all the remaining plants move into the flower room. If I wait until the TOCs are ready to come down before cloning, I'll be looking at not pulling clones until around 20 days into flower. Anyone ever take cuttings that late and have success? Any tips and tricks?

Attachments

• photo2035394.jpg
    photo2035394.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 23

Crazy Chester

So I'd like your guys take on when to pull clones. Of course when they are in veg is optimal but I don't have that luxury. Once my TOCs finish, they are going to the tent for drying and all the remaining plants move into the flower room. If I wait until the TOCs are ready to come down before cloning, I'll be looking at not pulling clones until around 20 days into flower. Anyone ever take cuttings that late and have success? Any tips and tricks?

They are looking good, Jerry! As far as clones, I've had very few root for me that far into flower. I've had more success re-vegging lowers after flower. My C99 was like that - I harvested everything but the lowest, most immature buds. Then, I gave her weak veg nutes (she was fully flushed at the end of flower) and put her in the mother room. She re-vegged a couple months later. The re-veg took around the same time that the plant was in flower. But, if you don't have the space in the mother room, definitely go for cloning - it may actually work - you'll have to go through a re-veg period on the clone, but it's worth a try.

Jerry_Garcia

A few more pics from this morning - 65 days flower. Some nice color is starting to settle in.

Attachments

• photo2035438.jpg
    photo2035438.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2035439.jpg
    photo2035439.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21

Jerry_Garcia

This mornings trichome pics of the TOCs. I'm cutting off some bud a few inches down from the top of the cola to get a good look. A bit longer is needed me thinks.

Attachments

• photo2035822.jpg
    photo2035822.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2035823.jpg
    photo2035823.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thanks Mars! It’s fun when things are going well and you can see the finish line approaching. This group has helped me immensely and I’m beyond thankful for all the advice I’ve been given.

:smoke out:Yes, learn and share, then grow up. Nice vibe here.

Jerry_Garcia

What do you guys think? A few more days?

Attachments

• photo2036096.jpg
    photo2036096.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2036095.jpg
    photo2036095.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19

Crazy Chester

What do you guys think? A few more days?

I think the TOCs look done now, but I would just be guessing. Maybe you should harvest it in stages to see what timing is best for the TOC. I do know that the TOCs look great - it's a beautiful plant and you grew it well!

Jerry_Garcia

So the TOCs finished up, hung to dry for a week and have been in jars for a few days. They look great, frosty, solid and my little smoke test was very nice. Very happy with these results, certainly my best run yet.

I was gifted a pair of clones and will be running these next. They are Super Lemon Haze and Cherry Pie. It will be interesting to see how the Captain Redbeard’s Cherry Pie I am running now compare.
D38C50B7-0B7F-4340-92B7-102928C06785.jpeg
06C7A0C2-F76B-41E0-9738-0C2D1CBCB08B.jpeg
FB10EE21-D5FF-4404-904B-DB3376B727B6.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts