What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

`

NEED 4 SEED

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm using 0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.58 Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On BB#3. See what happens.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If we rounded up to full numbers.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Using 100ml of water for each as with forum cannabis versions.
This gives a ratio:
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.4 Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate.
Or;
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.6 Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks, I will try this. I think it won't make that much of a difference but who knows...

djonkoman

Veteran
hmm, interesting this source calls for a molar ratio of 1:4, when I calculated my recipe(based on the recipe going around forums, adapted slightly to make the amounts more convenient to me, such as not having to weigh out amounts with 2 or more decimals, and checked if everything was right with molar calculations) I found sources saying it shoould be in a 1:5-1:6 molar ratio, so that's what I used.
guessing it won't make much difference if the thiosulphate is higher though, assuming it's a balance-reaction, there's already an excess thiosulphate so there'll just be more free thiosulphate, if unbound thiosulphate was harmfull to the plant either molar ratio would be bad.

djonkoman

Veteran
For information other than Sigma-Aldrich, I would want to see the source.

unfortunatly, it's years ago I looked it up, so don't have sources available. at the time I mostly disregarded the sigma aldritch info since it was so divergent from all the other recipes, and less convenient/more wastage(for example making 2 100ml solutions, then only using 80 and 20 ml from each respectively, leaving you with leftovers. I determined my recipe in such a way I had no leftovers, and no weights with too much decimals in g because I don't trust my scale to be that precise, so with larger numbers the weighing error has less influence). the sigma aldritch recipe is fine for in a lab where you can freely waste (cheap) chemicals since the lab has a huge budget anyway, and you have access to very precise, reliable scales. but for at home I think it's not the most convenient recipe.

based on my experience with the recipe I used, I also think the sigma aldritch version seems pretty strong. my stock solution(that I still dilute before use) only has 0.5 g per liter silver nitrate. the sigma aldritch recipe works out to 0.34 g silver nitrate per 100 ml stock solution, or 3.4 g per liter. so almost 7 times my stock solution. while the dilution before use is similar as mine(although I've also used stronger dilutions as 1:9, strongest I've used is 1:6, but especially when my stock was fresh 1:9 was good enough, so the final working solution would have also ended up less concentrated as the sigma aldritch one).

btw, I've stored my stock for way longer than a month. it's been 3 years since I mixed it I think, and past year I noticed the activity declined enough that I plan on making a new batch this year(before the next time I need it) to replace it. it still works after all that time, but over time a higher concentration is needed to see the same effect.

Fitzera

You should join Douglas.curtis' thread on diy sts! Lots of good info, let's keep it all in one informative thread!

djonkoman

Veteran
Strength of solution is the amount of water added, which people can change to suit their method of application.

The ratio in grams is what matters.

I completely agree, I just wanted to note that, if you follow that sigma eldritch recipe including the 10 times dilution, you end up with a rather high concentration, while in my experience a lower one than that is sufficient for sex reversal in cannabis. counted in silver nitrate added at the start, the sigma aldritch recipe would end up with a working solution of 0.34 g/liter if the stock solution is 10 times diluted, as per the recipe. while in my case the concentration of my working solution would be 0.05 g/liter.

the sigma aldritch info is a nice starting point, but you still need to get the concentration and aplication dailed in for sex reversal in cannabis.

specifically for cannabis not many scientific sources are available(yet) unfortunatly, so for getting the concentration and aplication shedule right I think you get more usefull info on cannabis forums, such as in that thread mentioned somewhere above this post. or you have to experiment yourself with multiple concentrations and re-invent the wheel.

NEED 4 SEED

I think the forum recipe was from robert connell clarke and chimera and sam skunkman wrote a bit about it too here. You must do a google search outside from icmag like:

<<< site:icmag.com silver +thiosulphate +douglas +curtis >>> (without the brackets) and vary the terms a bit.

I found icmag's search function pretty lame.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I think the forum recipe was from robert connell clarke and chimera and sam skunkman wrote a bit about it too here. You must do a google search outside from icmag like:

<<< site:icmag.com silver +thiosulphate +douglas +curtis >>> (without the brackets) and vary the terms a bit.

I found icmag's search function pretty lame.
I as well!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Home-Grown, I have to say, though I spent quite a bit of time researching STS and cannabis reversal, I completely missed the Sigma-Aldritch ratio. Thanks for posting this, I've never even heard of it before.

You should join Douglas.curtis' thread on diy sts! Lots of good info, let's keep it all in one informative thread!
Thanks Fitzera, :tiphat: the thread is beginning to get rather long. More and more growers are adding their experiences, and the details keep on coming.

brickweeder

Plant Tissue Culture Protocol or just reversal methods?

Plant Tissue Culture Protocol or just reversal methods?

Hi Home Grown, your thread title indicates plant tissue culture....were you planning on discussing a protocol for using STS to perform plant tissue culture, or is the focus of this thread on recipe options for the typical reversal?

Regarding standard reversals, I've been using the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=&quot]Sigma-Aldrich recipe, but diluted, as it burns the plant as is.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]