What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microbes/Funghi/Multi-celled organisms from since ancient times Cannabis cultivating

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all,

The topic is Microbes/Funghi/Multi-celled organisms from since ancient times Cannabis cultivating regions.

I'm wondering for quite some time if it's possible that in Cannabis producing regions where since ancient times Cannabis is grown there are Microbes/Funghi or multi-celled organism in the soil who have co-evolved together with Cannabis?

I'm using now the typical organic gardener microbes/funghi I get from the gardenstore. But I wonder if there might be a better match for Cannabis with organism who have evolved around Cannabis.

Are there any studies done on this subject?

It might also be an interesting product for the clever marketeer.

(My apologies for my poor English skills, I'm non-english and the spellingchecker doesn't work on my smartphone.)

Cheers.

Cvh

Supermod
Bump.
Anyone else have some input? Info/Ideas/Opinions/...

Cheers.

Rico Swazi

Bump.
Anyone else have some input? Info/Ideas/Opinions/...

Cheers.

I have a question , are you looking for information on microbes/fungi from ancient times ?
If you are, sorry to start the thread in the wrong direction with cultivating your own.

glomus intraradices is an ancient fungi if that is along the line of what you are after

Cvh

Supermod
Indeed, I'm not really looking for how to cultivate it.
I'm more interested for info if there might be a better match for Cannabis if there exist microbial lifeforms who co-evolved with Cannabis in ancient Cannabis producing regions.
Microbes/funghi/... beside the standard Rhizophagus irregularis (Glomus intraradices).

But still thanks you for the info on the cultivation techniques.
I think it's just my English skills that is the basis for the confusion.

Rico Swazi

sometimes the basis for confusion is some folk are just plain confused, present company included:)

pass on the glomus, got it.

perhaps cyanobacteria ?

h.h.

Veteran
Recent molecular analysis of Ribosomal DNA suggested that Glomus intraradices is not in fact in the genus Glomus at all, and should be renamed Rhizophagus intraradices. [5]
Is this a fact?

Cvh

Supermod
Yes, that is a fact. Glomus intraradices was renamed to Rhizophagus Intraradices a decade or so ago IIRC. That is the reason that I used the new name in my previous post.

Cvh

Supermod
My question is beside the typical organic gardener bacteria and funghi (Rhizo aka Glomus...).
If there might exist a Cannabis specific co-evolved Microbial lifeform.

h.h.

Veteran
If there was I would think that it had to be passed by clone or by seed.
Bearing heavily adverse conditions, we would probably already have it.

Cvh

Supermod
DNA tests were done on 2700 yr old cannabis a decade ago

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2639026/

one would think the scientists by now would have identified any unusual lifeforms during those tests.

Or maybe they did and they are working on the patent to bring the

'secrets of the ancients' to a grow store near you.

Interesting but I think it would be a bit hard to find still living soilmicrobes on a 2500 sample.

I'm more interested to know what currently is in the soil ie. Rif region in Morocco on current active farmed Cannabis fields were they have been growing on that same field for centuries. Or for exemple the same but in the Guatemala Jungle.

And how those soilmicrobes differ from each other regional wise ie. Indica VS Sativa type of plants worldregions.

Productwise it would be a product so a grower can add Indica or Sativa plant regional soilmicrobes depending on the type of strain the grower is growing. Adding Afghani, Lebanese, Mexican, Thai,... terroir to a soil.

Or for hybrids a product growers can add that contains the soilmicrobes from the field were a hybridstrain was developped ie. a product that contains the same microbial terroir from the original field OG Kush was made to add to OG Kush plants.

Cvh

Supermod
Good point the exact mineral content of a specific region soil can add benefit to a strain specific grow I belief. The Afghani desert type Indica farmfields soilmineral/structural content is way different then a Tropical Jungle Sativa field.

But I wonder if it's possible that there exist also Cannabis specific co-evolved regional soilmicrobes who might provide a better host to regional specific cannabis strains Indica/Sativa/Hybrid.

Maybe those soilmicrobes are a better host for Cannabis then the typical standard storebought general soilmicrobes. Ie. Add some afghani desert Cannabis field microbes to an Indica grow.

Rico Swazi

Interesting but I think it would be a bit hard to find still living soilmicrobes on a 2500 sample.
Yes I agree microbes that are still living would be difficult but I'm thinking with the dna already obtained,
it would be possible to reconstruct with crispr technology (if I understand that correctly)

Mr Holmes is trying to get his hands on that 2700 yr old sample I linked. Been a couple years and wonder if he succeeded

https://www.newsweek.com/2016/03/25...annabis-genome-changing-weed-game-436526.html

Cvh

Supermod
That would also be a great product marketing wise.

Grow with revived soil microbes found in an ancient tomb from an old Cannabis culture.

As you said before: 'secrets of the ancients' to a grow store near you.
Truely a great product idea.

But easier and within reach would however be current soillife in old Cannabis cultivating regions. That provide specific Indica/Sativa beneficial microbial soil host assistance.