What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis virus?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Palm,

No one has done the comprehensive analysis of what is exactly is in those bad cuts. Probably doesn't matter.

This is a chicken and egg question. Which came first?

I have seen this same issue in avocado and grape root stock cloning for 25 years. You have no idea how bad the greenhouse/cloning operations in Peru hate me! I have sent back whole truck loads of plants...

There is no fixing this problem until you fix the moms. This means getting enough Calcium into the Mom. Get a crack chick to have a baby and see how it comes out. Same issue. Mom is sick, baby is sick.

The key to health in both animals, humans and plants is getting enough Ca into them all. All starts there. The rest of the elements are additional. This was figured out back in the early 1900's by Gedroiz. We seem to have forgotten our lessons....

redlaser

Veteran
I don’t think it’s impossible for cannabis to get a hop sourced virus, unlikely or infrequently happening is more likely the case in my opinion.

It’s a cultural issue resulting in fusarium or similar infection for the most part, exasperated by poor nutrition or nutrient uptake.

beta

Veteran
I don’t think it’s impossible for cannabis to get a hop sourced virus, unlikely or infrequently happening is more likely the case in my opinion.

Hops and cannabis are in the same small family, Cannibaceae. Dark Heart Nursery has demonstrated that Hop viroids can infect cannabis:

In 2017, Dark Heart Nursery began working with Dr. Warren to determine the cause of PCIA. Symptomatic and asymptomatic plants were collected, and next-generation RNA sequencing was performed to determine a probable cause of the disease. After analysis of the results in November 2017, it was determined that Hop latent viroid (HpLVd) was the most likely candidate pathogen. A genetic test was then developed to aid in differentiating healthy plants from infected plants.

“It is important to note that finding a potential pathogen within a plant was only the first step in determining if the pathogen is indeed causing the disease in question,” said Dr. Warren. “To demonstrate causality, healthy plants were inoculated with an infectious clone of HpLVd to confirm that the developed symptoms were consistent with PCIA. Our team monitored these infected plants, as well as controlled (healthy) plants for three months to track symptom development. After this time, it was apparent that the HpLVd-infected plants were showing symptoms consistent with PCIA, such as yellowing of leaves, malformed leaves, and stunted growth. These results confirmed that HpLVd is causing PCIA symptoms in cannabis.”

https://darkheartnursery.com/news/hop-latent-viroid/

I started a thread about the hop viroid over yonder:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=361640

redlaser

Veteran
Hops and cannabis are in the same small family, Cannibaceae. Dark Heart Nursery has demonstrated that Hop viroids can infect cannabis:

https://darkheartnursery.com/news/hop-latent-viroid/

I started a thread about the hop viroid over yonder:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=361640

Like my post said, I don’t think it’s impoosible for it to happen.

It’s my position or opinion that it is 100% unconfirmed as to how extensive the issue is, or if it is the SOLE issue these unhealthy plants suffer from.

Fusarium, or similar pathogen is way more common and I believe spores are pretty widespread. It’s a cultural issue made worse by poor nutrient supply/ and/or nutrient uptake issues.

Much more common to get a fusarium type infection than a hops virus.

I think people need to be focused on cultural practices and stop blaming relatively obscure viruses for their problems.

Just because it can be proven that the hops virus will infect cannabis, doesn’t correlate it to be a widespread occurrence. I think some growers don’t want to admit their practices could have caused the outcome, and want to blame some super bug that is so bad ass, it wasn’t really their fault, cause it’s that badass. Something like that anyway.

beta

Veteran
I think some growers don’t want to admit their practices could have caused the outcome, and want to blame some super bug that is so bad ass, it wasn’t really their fault, cause it’s that badass. Something like that anyway.

As far as I know fusarium does not cause the symptoms we're seeing.

The BIG tells for Hop Viroid are leaf dwarving, lower branches that start out horizontal then curve up after a few inches, and rubbery / shiny / bright green growth that peels off easily.

Fusarium causes leaf chlorosis, stunting, and leaf drop.

My plants all look perfectly and vibrantly green, and always do. I never have a single leaf that turns brown, dries out, or goes through chlorosis. They do have leaf dwarving, horizontal branching, and rubbery / shiny / easy to peel growth.

Here's a pic from DarkHeart that demonstrates the problem as clear as day:

PCIA-Clean-Comparison.jpg

redlaser

Veteran
It’s possible you have it, is it on only one type of plant or unrelated ones?
The infected one looks like gg4 from the 2014 cup, but not the one on the right.

I’ve had plants end up looking like that from nutrient extremes, ( organic adventures) and snap out of it in few weeks if I guessed correctly and fixed the issue.

That’s not the best choice IMO of using a cropped plant for the pictures, seems a normal structured plant would have been more helpful.

Fusarium and PCIA both have yellow leaves and stunting, and PICA probably has leaf drop if they get yellow. Probably depends on the severity of infection, fusarium is older leaves, prob same with PICA but didn’t see that anywhere.

I don’t think fusarium does the side way growing thing though

beta

Veteran
It’s possible you have it, is it on only one type of plant or unrelated ones?

I see the symptoms on everything I've got, though the symptoms are particularly bad with anything Chem / OG / Diesel related.

The first thing I saw it on was GG4 (2015 or 2016, I think), and I got one AWESOME run in with WiFi before my cut (from seed) started having the problem (shortly after I got GG4). I completely ditched both of them before I realized it wasn't just bunk clones.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It was well know in published articles that this virus was found in Cannabis, DHN did not discover it that is for sure.

-SamS

beta

Veteran
It was well know in published articles that this virus was found in Cannabis, DHN did not discover it that is for sure.

-SamS

I'd never heard about it before the DHN article, do you have any links? I'd love to know more about the history of this pathogen in cannabis.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
beta your behind on your ICMAG reading....

we discussed this topic in great detail... here are pics from 5 years ago

picture.php

picture.php