What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants scorched from baking soda & water

nbuus

Greetings,

I have 84 plants, 64 i am flowering (for 3 weeks now) in sog, and the other 20 are being vegged.

I started noticing some powdery mildew on the lower leaves this week, so i googled how to get rid of it and decided to go with the baking soda + water solution.

I mixed 1 tablespoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with 1 liter of water and sprayed the leaves of the plants.

The next day all the plants were terribly burned, with yellow spots, loking as they were exposed to too much light and heat.

I just dont understand how this could happen from baking soda.

Anyone?

Attachments

• received_503851380145003.jpg
    received_503851380145003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 17

nbuus

Agreed, but still, how can sodium bicarbonate cause this much damage? Its only 1% solution of baking soda in water..

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A tablespoon in a liter is not quite a 1% solution. It's closer to 2.

I get your point though.

People here really seem to like the milk alternative when it comes to powdery mildew. I've been lucky enough to not run into that one yet. Most of my malady's are self made, lol.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sodium in high quantities is toxic... if you didn't cover your medium, you probably poisoned the rhizosphere.

Personally, because it is sodium, I would avoid using it.

Vinegar would have been a better choice, IMO.

G

GatorGumbo

Probably catapulted the pH momentarily as well. If that's organic it should work itself out if it even affected the soil at all. Wash off the leaves, though.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Greetings,

I have 84 plants, 64 i am flowering (for 3 weeks now) in sog, and the other 20 are being vegged.

I started noticing some powdery mildew on the lower leaves this week, so i googled how to get rid of it and decided to go with the baking soda + water solution.

I mixed 1 tablespoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with 1 liter of water and sprayed the leaves of the plants.

The next day all the plants were terribly burned, with yellow spots, loking as they were exposed to too much light and heat.

I just dont understand how this could happen from baking soda.

Anyone?
I killed a flowering plant with baking soda, overnight. It really put me off spraying anything on my plants at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts