What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advise Needed Leaf Issues After Re-pot!

Bonvondon

Ok, so everything was going well a week ago.

Im growing in a light organic soil. Potted up from 1.5L pots to 6L Pots 5 days ago. This time I decided to add some organic amendments to the soil. Plants are 4 weeks old.

Neem Meal
Kelp Meal
Rock Dust
Dolomite Lime

Most of the plants seem ok but some have looked unhappy and have started to show rust coloured patches on the leaves and discolouration on the leaf tips.

I gave them a light feed of fish mix at 2ml per litre and also some bio silicone at .5ml per litre and that's it.

Feeling like i did something wrong with the soil mix. I added around 2-3 handfuls of each amendment to 50 litres of soil.

Am under a 600w mh.

Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated?

Attachments

• bad1.jpg
    bad1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
  • bad2.jpg
    bad2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 27

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Good idea going more organic but 2 or 3 hands fulls as a measurement seems a bit haphazard,, you were asking for trouble..

Your pH might be a shock to them now.. its probably much higher now due to the dolomite.. light mixes are often 6.2 ish.. your soil in now possibly nearer 7.. :dunno:

I could be wrong but i would unpot, pull away new soil from edges and repot asap anyway as you have no idea how things will go going forward, but they dont look good..

Get some more reading in around here on organic mixes and ask some questions.

Right idea just looks wrongly applied..

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Ok, so everything was going well a week ago.

Im growing in a light organic soil. Potted up from 1.5L pots to 6L Pots 5 days ago. This time I decided to add some organic amendments to the soil. Plants are 4 weeks old.

Neem Meal
Kelp Meal
Rock Dust
Dolomite Lime

Most of the plants seem ok but some have looked unhappy and have started to show rust coloured patches on the leaves and discolouration on the leaf tips.

I gave them a light feed of fish mix at 2ml per litre and also some bio silicone at .5ml per litre and that's it.

Feeling like i did something wrong with the soil mix. I added around 2-3 handfuls of each amendment to 50 litres of soil.

Am under a 600w mh.

Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated?
Whatever is going on is expressed as calcium deficiency. Most likely because the plant uses a lot of calcium at this point and the roots were slightly burned.

The soil mix you've described isn't very hot, however the dolomite lime takes a while to mellow out, at least a week and a month is even better.

However when you pot up, you have to always make sure the roots don't get into contact with hot soil, and that's relative to the soil the plant is growing in. For instance the plant's soil has an EC of 1.6, and the new soil an EC of 2.0, the roots are going to burn.

So the solution is to fill a pot with a drainage layer, then hot soil, then an inch of light soil, and put the plant's rootball on top of that. And fill in the sides with more light soil. That way, the roots can't burn.

Or grow in coco coir, which has no nutrients at all, and with which you can pot up at will.

Bonvondon

Thank you for your responses guys.

I am going to get some new soil and attempt to repot again but its going to be a few days before it gets here!

Is there anything I can do to lessen the effect of the dolomite lime for now. Would a flush help?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Thank you for your responses guys.

I am going to get some new soil and attempt to repot again but its going to be a few days before it gets here!

Is there anything I can do to lessen the effect of the dolomite lime for now. Would a flush help?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
You can give the plants a light solution of flowering food. (Say 0.4 EC of Biobizz Bloom, BioSevia Bloom, even a high P/K late flowering food, etc.) The higher P will stimulate root growth. Enzymes (a few drops, not the recommended amount) will break down damaged roots faster.

Bonvondon

You can give the plants a light solution of flowering food. (Say 0.4 EC of Biobizz Bloom, BioSevia Bloom, even a high P/K late flowering food, etc.) The higher P will stimulate root growth. Enzymes (a few drops, not the recommended amount) will break down damaged roots faster.

Thank you, I will do that as soon as they need a drink!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Dont flush them excessively though that will cause root rot..

Id just hold out until you can repot..

Raise your lights a bit imo and make sure youre running ideal VPD which will lower extra stress and slow metabolism down..

Bonvondon

Dont flush them excessively though that will cause root rot..

Id just hold out until you can repot..

Raise your lights a bit imo and make sure youre running ideal VPD which will lower extra stress and slow metabolism down..

Thank you for the sound advice. Feel so annoyed at myself! We live and learn. I just hope they can bounce back, plus its going to mess with my female to male ratios as it happened at the worse time lol.

Fingers crossed though

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
They will once you get them in a better mix.. ime never try and change a mistake in the mix through liquid feed if you can still repot.. its always been a failure for me.

You might lose a week or so in new root growth over green biomass after the repot into new soil but at least this way you have a chance of producing some great pot at the end..

Plus no one can really diagnose exactly whats going on so advising to repot in new soil seems to me to be the best advice by far.

Bonvondon

They will once you get them in a better mix.. ime never try and change a mistake in the mix through liquid feed if you can still repot.. its always been a failure for me.

You might lose a week or so in new root growth over green biomass after the repot into new soil but at least this way you have a chance of producing some great pot at the end..

Plus no one can really diagnose exactly whats going on so advising to repot in new soil seems to me to be the best advice by far.

That's exactly what I am going to do. I plan on saving the soil that i pull off the plants and letting sit for a while before i use it again. I take it all the dolomite lime will have chilled out by then lol. I mean is that soil still ok to use at a later date or should I just let it go?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeh man but you wont really know whats going on in it unless you can test it..

I found this really useful tbh..

https://www.enviromonitors.co.uk/shop/soilstik-2105

I dont plant in a mix unless the pH is reading around 6.3-6.5

You want about a cup of buffer per cubic foot of none buffered material.. just less than one in imperial cups..

Id advise using more lime or oyster flour than dolomite in that cup of buffer/cuft example because you want significantly more calcium than mg in your mix or you can get problems..

Others add a 1/3 cup of gypsum also which upps that Ca:mg ratio further..

There are good recipes on IC..

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Thank you, I will do that as soon as they need a drink!
And yet, time is of the essence. They can take another early light feeding/watering before that.

The thing is that it mellows the soil out a little by raising P and K relative to N.

It will buy you some time until the new soil arrives, because it will also have to have a little time before it's mixed, hydrated and mellowed out.

Bonvondon

Yeh man but you wont really know whats going on in it unless you can test it..

I found this really useful tbh..

https://www.enviromonitors.co.uk/shop/soilstik-2105

I dont plant in a mix unless the pH is reading around 6.3-6.5

You want about a cup of buffer per cubic foot of none buffered material.. just less than one in imperial cups..

Id advise using more lime or oyster flour than dolomite in that cup of buffer/cuft example because you want significantly more calcium than mg in your mix or you can get problems..

Others add a 1/3 cup of gypsum also which upps that Ca:mg ratio further..

There are good recipes on IC..

That soil pH meter looks really good. Its pricey but you get what you pay for! Thank you for link dude and for your time and help. I have the new soil now so going to repot all the plants as carefully as I can and lesson learnt!

Bonvondon

And yet, time is of the essence. They can take another early light feeding/watering before that.

The thing is that it mellows the soil out a little by raising P and K relative to N.

It will buy you some time until the new soil arrives, because it will also have to have a little time before it's mixed, hydrated and mellowed out.

Thank you for the sound advice, once I repot them in a few hours I will give them a light feed on an organic PK booster as you mentioned. I will only give them 1ml per litre and see what happens.

Thanks again for your time and advice dude. I will take some pics in a week and see whats what then.

Bonvondon

Hi guys, ok so now its been over a week since i have repotted and the plants are not doing so well. I should be repotting them now but when i look there are hardly any roots going into the fresh new soil that i put them in over a week ago! It looks like the roots are stunted along with the plants and they are drinking a lot of water. I have never come across this type of issue before and now I am wondering if it was just the dolomite lime that did this as maybe I put too much rockdust and neem meal and kelp meal in on top of the DL. Im totally gutted tbh im now six weeks in and i dont know what to do lol, do i repot and keep vegging or repot and flower and see if things calm down with another repotting up into 12 litre pots? So today i took clones of all the plants and my hope now is that they root and i can restart the whole process with these as long as the issues do not carry through somehow. They were all pretty healthy clones.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
My suggestion is always up-pot to the same soil as the starting soil! Those plants were doing well with that starting soil, until you changed it. "They're methods to change soils during a grow", but the fastest, easiest, transition is to stay in the same starting soil. That way the plant is already adjusted to the soil. Also, I never throw handfuls of anything in a professional soil mix!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi guys, ok so now its been over a week since i have repotted and the plants are not doing so well. I should be repotting them now but when i look there are hardly any roots going into the fresh new soil that i put them in over a week ago! It looks like the roots are stunted along with the plants and they are drinking a lot of water. I have never come across this type of issue before and now I am wondering if it was just the dolomite lime that did this as maybe I put too much rockdust and neem meal and kelp meal in on top of the DL. Im totally gutted tbh im now six weeks in and i dont know what to do lol, do i repot and keep vegging or repot and flower and see if things calm down with another repotting up into 12 litre pots? So today i took clones of all the plants and my hope now is that they root and i can restart the whole process with these as long as the issues do not carry through somehow. They were all pretty healthy clones.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you
One way to salvage the old plants is to take off all the new soil, and repot them in mainly perlite. And then give them some flowering food.

That way they'd have a chance to grow new roots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts