What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALOE VERA

C

CC_2U

I
Enough about me now. I'm turning red.

Let's talk about aloe and saponins. Kind of like saying bacteria. What saponins and what specifically does each specific type do? It does not provide anything else of any importance at any significant amount.
There are far better sources for what it does have. It is redundant and pointless.

Do your own f*cking research. Your silly games are interesting up to a point.

Entertain others - start a thread titled "Stuff I Thunk About' and go for it.

You're welcome.

CC

I

imnotkrazy

It is good for sunburns too :) with astringent properties for wound healing.

What harm will it do to plants? Easy enough to slice the end off a sword and squeeze into the watering can just for trying it out yourself.

I already kept an aloe plant in my house for many reasons before I could figure out I could use it for something in the garden as well. But I can understand how someone like h.h. can rationalize it's usefulness away if he sees other products he can buy that are cheaper that can do the same thing in his garden. I am just more of a farmer at heart because when I like a plant it becomes part of my family and you always got your family's back.

Yes_I_Am

so if i get my aloe plant and boil it up i can add it to my feed in soil, love that im on it. is there anything u cant use a aloe for.

h.h.

Veteran
I already kept an aloe plant in my house for many reasons before I could figure out I could use it for something in the garden as well. But I can understand how someone like h.h. can rationalize it's usefulness away if he sees other products he can buy that are cheaper that can do the same thing in his garden. I am just more of a farmer at heart because when I like a plant it becomes part of my family and you always got your family's back.
What I can't rationalize is buying aloe for the garden. I have a half dozen or so plants myself. If you want to pick it and try it, it doesn't seem to do harm. I'm just as well off picking tree leaves.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
thanks to everyone for contributing!

i obviously need to get cultivating, since it seems like everyone agrees that fresh is better. my landlord might have a few growing around the property. does anyone know how to propagate them?

redneck - that was beautiful man. i totally feel the same way.

I

imnotkrazy

they will set out babies at the base like most succulents, pull one out and plant it in the ground - it'll root eventually, even quicker if you bring some of the underground part with it

mad librettist

Veteran
AFAIK it's not a succulent...

aloe is in the lily family

interestingly, in french succulents are called "fat plants".

I

imnotkrazy

That is interesting ml, learning new things all the time. I must have assumed... They sure do well here in the desert without much assistance from me.

mad librettist

Veteran
well double check, I could be wrong.

I probably got that off of wiki, or some other questionable source. i tend to believe everything i read.

mad librettist

Veteran
pff, I just double checked and even wiki calls it an aloe, even when it says it's a lily.

oh mad, when will you stop believing everything you read?

it's a succulent lily.

while I am overposting, here are the reults so far of the side by side rooting aloe vs organic rooting powder: inconclusive. only one cut has roots so far.

cyat

Veteran
ya aloe makes its own babies like a banana tree. no need to do anything. separate the crown? just pull a baby and replant somewhere else if you want. bottled aloe is weak as fuck compared to the real deal.

mad librettist

Veteran
ALOE VERA

ya aloe makes its own babies like a banana tree. no need to do anything. separate the crown? just pull a baby and replant somewhere else if you want. bottled aloe is weak as fuck compared to the real deal.

ummm... that is propagation by division. you are dividing the crown.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
well it turns out that aloe grows in abundance behind my apartment building.

my new question is: since there are different varieties of aloe, are they all created equal? or do some have better (or worse) properties for our application?

humbleguy

Veteran
Do sapponins have any beneficial effects outside of foliar action? Will aloe powder stimulate my plants if mixed Into my reservoir . My setup is sterile in rock wool.