What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pot tourism in Colo.? Marijuana regulators OK idea

RetroGrow

Veteran
Well it had to happen!
And why not?
Cannabis tourism in Colorado gets approved!
Another brick in the wall.
From AP:

"DENVER (AP) — Marijuana tourism is on the way to Colorado, under a recommendation made Tuesday by a state task force to regulate the drug made legal by voters last year.

But Colorado should erect signs in airports and borders telling visitors they can't take pot home, the task force recommended.

Colorado's marijuana task force was assembled to suggest regulations for pot after voters chose to flout federal drug law and allow its use without a doctor's recommendation. Made up of lawmakers, law enforcement authorities and marijuana activists, the task force agreed Tuesday that the constitutional amendment on marijuana simply says that adults over 21 can use the drug, not just Colorado residents. If lawmakers agree with the recommendation, tourists would be free to buy and smoke marijuana.

"Imposing a residency requirement would almost certainly create a black market for recreational marijuana in the state," said Rep. Dan Pabon, a Denver Democrat who sits on the task force.

Tourists could see purchasing caps though, possibly as low as an eighth of an ounce per transaction.

Afraid that marijuana tourism could open the door for traffickers to load up and take it across state borders for illegal sale, task force members agreed that non-residents should be able to buy only limited amounts, though a specific amount wasn't set.

"Marijuana purchased in Colorado must stay in Colorado," Pabon warned.

"We could attract greater federal scrutiny and displeasure of our neighbors," if marijuana flows across state lines, he said.

Task force members were less successful agreeing to recommendations on marijuana growing and public use. Colorado's marijuana law allows home growing but requires plants to be in a locked, secure location out of public view. The task force couldn't agree whether a "locked" and "secure" location would mean a backyard surrounded by a fence, or whether an enclosure such as a shed or greenhouse should be mandatory.

One of the task force's most vocal marijuana critics, Greenwood Village Police Chief John Jackson, worried that backyard pot gardens would need more than a chain-link fence to keep kids out.

Not all task force members agreed. User advocate Meg Sanders said the covering requirement wouldn't be fair to rural Coloradans.

"I think it goes too far in restricting what people can do on their own private property," Sanders said.

Public use also prompted a dispute that wasn't resolved Tuesday. Jackson and others wanted to ban marijuana use on publicly visible patios, porches and backyard. Marijuana activists chafed.

"So I can drink a beer on my porch? But I can't smoke a joint?" asked marijuana advocate Christian Sederberg.

State Sen. Cheri Jahn, D-Wheat Ridge, said lawmakers would hesitate to regulate something legal people do on private property. What about backyard grills that send the smell of hamburgers into the nose of a neighbor who's vegetarian?, she asked.

"I don't know how far we want to go telling people what they can't do on their own porches," she said.

The porch marijuana question was left unsettled. Task force members also put off a decision on proposals from Jackson to exempt law enforcement from maintaining marijuana and marijuana plants seized during criminal investigations.

Potency and labeling recommendations for commercial marijuana will also be discussed later.

The task force has until Feb. 28 to recommend marijuana regulations, which will ultimately be set by the state Legislature and the Department of Revenue, the agency which oversees gambling and alcohol and will also regulate recreational pot."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...xOvmPw?docId=9402d6ea61024a958115b48c4d03b1fe

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tourism.. CO is a dump hole, trust me I grew up there..

don't believe me, watch dog the bounty hunter

RetroGrow

Veteran

That's O.K., I'll pass on "Dog". He's a lowlife poser.
And Colorado is a big & beautiful state. Maybe you lived in a "dump hole", but that doesn't mean the whole state is. In fact, parts of Colorado are amazing, really. I've been there many times, and it's beautiful. So sorry, I'm not going to "trust" you just because you lived in a dump hole.
I think it's a great idea, and they should do it in California.

Green Gooma

Oh yeah, absolutely. Please spread the word, do not come to Colorado searching for your fortune in the weed rush. It's a horrible place. Thanks for publicizing this fact.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
good news...

i love colorado. sounds like i need to plan a little vacation :dance013:

J

JimmyRow

Still need a card to go to the pot store, don't book your flights yet.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pot stores only ok for state residents in the medical system at the moment...

trust me
getting herb for "free" is easy at the right establishments.

do ur homework,
then book ur flight

bigAl25

Veteran
I want to know where all the great golf courses are, then we'll head out and visit Bob and Jim in Colorado Springs. Here we come and thanks for the vote to free the ganja. Peace and respect.

WildHare

The Ganja in CO is not free. It is highly regulated and watched in many areas by cameras and Big Brother. This is certainly 50/50,good/bad. If this semblance of "freedom" is what people think will truly "FREE" the trade we love, I am sorry to say this is false. Yes it's legal. At what price?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wildhare,
true,
medical herb is highly regulated by cameras and what not

recreational herb is not available for sale yet, because sales havent been regulated yet....
but it is available for "free"
there are head shops offereing "free" herb if you buy some glass or smoking accessories, there are events taht have open smoking, shared, free samples..
free is the game out here right now because recreational herb CANNOT be sold, it can be gifted and traded and given.

vapedg13

Veteran
wildhare,
true,
medical herb is highly regulated by cameras and what not

recreational herb is not available for sale yet, because sales havent been regulated yet....
but it is available for "free"
there are head shops offereing "free" herb if you buy some glass or smoking accessories, there are events taht have open smoking, shared, free samples..
free is the game out here right now because recreational herb CANNOT be sold, it can be gifted and traded and given.

Marijuana
Marijuana giveaway with pipes purchase illegal, says attorney general, police chief

By Michael RobertsTue., Feb. 19 2013 at 6:55 AM
45 Comments

Categories: Follow That Story, Marijuana
<TABLE class="image right" border=0 width=140><TBODY><TR><TD>
marijuana%20plant%20outdoor%20shot%20cropped-thumb-140x125.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Earlier this month, we wrote about Craigslist advertisements offering free marijuana as a bonus for purchasing other items, in exchange for a donation, or even for buying a $50 bumper sticker. Now, however, both the Colorado Attorney General and the Denver Police Chief have branded the practice illegal -- although ads for some deals remain online at this writing.
In our February 4 post, we followed up on reporting by CBS4's Rick Sallinger, contacting the owners of 4 Strains Pipe & Tobacco. The operation's still-accessible ad features this graphic....

<TABLE class="image center" border=0 width=340 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>
4%20strains%20pipe%20and%20tobacco.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>...and this text:
COLORADO AMENDMENT 64!! COMPLIANT!
GET YOUR 2 GRAM SACK OF FREE NUGS WHEN YA GET $30
PURCHASE OF SMOKING ACCESSORIES OR TOBACCO ECTERA
IN OUR HEAD SHOP!
NO JOKE! ANYONE OVER 21 YEARS OLD WITH A ID FROM ANYWHERE.
NO MEDICAL CARD REQUIRED.
CASH ONLY
HOURS 12-7
As we reported, 4 Strains is run by Mike Paulk and Felicia L. According to Paulk, "We're not a center; we're two caregivers. We've been operating for almost three years. We started out just being caregivers and selling extra to centers. But in 2010, when they legislated caregivers out of being able to sell to medical marijuana centers, we kept our patients -- we've had some of them assigned to us for two or three years -- and went on Craigslist."
This approach has been a success. "We've built from a garage to a 5,000 square foot building with a certificate of occupancy and a business license -- we're totally legit," Paulk pointed out. Moreover, he said, their attorney tells them that the current giveaway is just fine under the provisions of Amendment 64 that have already taken effect.
"If you read about the amendment in the voter-information packet that was sent to the public in 2012, the things about personal use and possession section are in place," he maintained. "Like the part where it states you can assist somebody in cultivating it as long as there's no remuneration. So what we're doing is offering people what they want anyway just to get them to come into our store to buy pipes, T-shirts and other things we have for sale."
As for Felicia, she stressed that "we're really not making any money" from the two-gram giveaway.... What we're selling is smoking accessories."
In a followup piece by Sallinger on view below, Colorado Attorney General John Suthers and Denver Police Chief Robert White offer a very different interpretation of this theory.