What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Santa Cruz County handling of medical pot records praised

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SANTA CRUZ -- For medical marijuana patients, it might not be paranoia anymore -- they really could be out to get you.

Recent revelations that a federal grand jury subpoenaed Mendocino County medical marijuana records as part of an ongoing probe have placed the handling of potentially sensitive patient records under a spotlight, bringing long-standing concerns about leaving a paper trail in an uncertain legal environment to the forefront once again.

But anticipating just such a scenario, Santa Cruz County for years has purposely kept similar patient information in the dark. In fact, if federal prosecutors ever came knocking at the door of the county's Health Department, they're not going to find anything but empty file cabinets.

"We don't have anything on file to subpoena," said Laurie Lang, a county health spokeswoman.

Since the county began issuing official medical marijuana identification cards in 2005, more than 1,100 have been issued. That number includes 207 during the past fiscal year, a number that dropped sharply from 358 the prior year.

But the process here is very different from other counties, including Santa Clara County. While health officials here verify patient prescriptions and review applications, all the paperwork is handed back to the patient once the card is issued.

Lang said the county has never been hit with a federal subpoena, and any legal inquiries end quickly after the county lays out its absence

gardenlover

Brilliant!!! Smart...u are reasonable for your paperwork cuz of the reasons shown above in this article...and if u loose it we can charge u again...very very smart on their part and good for the growers!

S

SeaMaiden

Thank you for posting this. If only other counties were as forward-thinking AND as considerate in this regard. I haven't gotten an ID card, and likely never will. Just my recommendation and that's it.

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually learned a lot myself from this article, and I live in SC county....I must admit...this is one thing they did right.

S

SeaMaiden

I do hear and read of many complaints by SC Co residents, and not just regarding MMJ. Stuff like their building department going overboard, road issues, things like that.

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yes my father helped me with a down payment for my home...BUT.... He WOULD NOT help me build a home after we went to the planning department or as he put it " Communist headquarters"....lol yeah trust me..they screw up WAY MORE than they do right, THIS somehow was designed correctly and with the patients privacy well thought out. It was nothing short of a miracle they got this right!

Last edited:
they say that until the feds are crawling down their throat then well see what they say for future records. if they really have no files then awsome but doesnt seem to make sense. then how would they know if there is any counterfeit cards patients are using.

megayields

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they say that until the feds are crawling down their throat then well see what they say for future records. if they really have no files then awsome but doesnt seem to make sense. then how would they know if there is any counterfeit cards patients are using.

I believe if your THAT motivated to circumvent the system, then NO system can prevent counterfeiting, I mean they counterfeit money also...no?

S

SeaMaiden

Logically, there is little reason to counterfeit a card that limits you and doesn't guarantee your protection, and really only identifies you as a MMJ patient. A card that you're not legally required to hold.
Oh yes my father helped me with a down payment for my home...BUT.... He WOULD NOT help me build a home after we went to the planning department or as he put it " Communist headquarters"....lol yeah trust me..they screw up WAY MORE than they do right, THIS somehow was designed correctly and with the patients privacy well thought out. It was nothing short of a miracle they got this right!

Ha! Our dads sound like they'd get along great. Oh my God, the rants my father will go on.

As for SC Co powers that be, it does sound as though they never actually intended for things to turn out as they have. Happy accident, perhaps.