What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The 'green rush' is on for marijuana companies

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
interesting article on MSN... from the business side of things...

These are heady times for supporters of legalized marijuana as well as those looking to cash in on pot's growing national acceptance. This month, voters in Washington state and Colorado agreed to legalize the recreational use of marijuana for adults. And medical marijuana is currently legal in 18 states and Washington D.C.

Of course, marijuana remains illegal by federal law. But people involved in what some are calling the "green rush" are still looking at business and investment opportunities in cannabis and its production.

And as with nearly all markets, some people are willing to take the risk.

"Think of it as another dot.com explosion," said Bruce Perlowin, CEO ofHemp Inc. (HEMP 0.00%), in a recent press release.

And according to an investor fact sheet for Medical Marijuana Inc. (MJNA 0.00%), the current U.S. medical marijuana industry is estimated at $17 billion, with expectations it could grow up to about $29 billion by 2016.

"It was almost unthinkable 10 years ago that you would have legitimate, fully reporting to the SEC companies that were in the nature of pure plays, with positions in the medical marijuana industry," says Sterling Scott, CEO of Los Angeles-based GrowLife Inc. (PHOT 0.00%), a consortium of companies that sells products for indoor growing.

Scott, a former federal regulatory attorney, estimates there are about 10 cannabis-related companies currently being traded as over-the-counter stocks. Most OTCs are relatively small and often new companies that don't yet meet the requirements to be listed or traded on exchanges like Nasdaq or the New York Stock Exchange.

He breaks down these marijuana sector firms into four groups:

• Established companies, like GrowLife, that sell equipment and expendables for the cannabis industry.
  • Companies like Medical Marijuana, whose mission, according to its website, is to become the industry's "premier cannabis and hemp industry innovators."
  • Groups like Hemp Inc. that are looking to develop a legal market for the industrial and commercial use of hemp (which contains only trace amounts of marijuana's active ingredient) in products such as paper, oils and cloth.
  • Companies focused on the clinical, medical use of cannabis in areas such as cancer, inflammation and pain treatment.
"The safest position during the Gold Rush in California in the 1800s was to sell (miners) the equipment they needed to go out and explore for gold," explains Scott. "Our company has taken a fairly conservative position, as to the kind of things that we can engage in, because of the federal law position. And we intend, until there's a great deal more clarity on the federal side, to continue to be fairly conservative. But that's not true of all these companies."

So are these small stocks worth an investor's time? It depends on how the future plays out for the sector.

"If the new marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington… are a sign of things to come, if you're a firm that can benefit by this industry being created into a legal and viable industry, then if you can get in early enough, then those stocks may go up in value," says Mac Clouse, professor of finance at the University of Denver's Daniels College of Business.

Found this guy on fox business....seems like a weed elitist "We're going to sell premium marijuana" Really? No thanks. I'll trust my own skills and the skills of other growers I know rather than an ex microsoft nerd trying to cash in big.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Unless He can Grow as well as some of us. It's possible. The Knowledge is out there for the few who do the work.

Of Course, You and I enjoy growing our own chosen strains, so we will continue no matter what.

guanito

I put togeher a little portfolio.
coin
erbb
grnh
hemp
mjna
srer
trtc

and of course MDBX - but that's a bit pricey right now.

Bongstar420

Found this guy on fox business....seems like a weed elitist "We're going to sell premium marijuana" Really? No thanks. I'll trust my own skills and the skills of other growers I know rather than an ex microsoft nerd trying to cash in big.

He needs to step aside and let a new guy in. I get so tired hearing about all these rich people who refuse to retire. Once someone is a millionaire, they need to retire. That way more millionaires can be made instead or a few more multimillion and billionaires.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
he loves the word premium doesnt he ,
doesnt even know what premium marijuana is
but hey theres a buck to be made here ..
dont sell your pot to that guy i say ,, lol ...

thinman

well grown marijuana with flavor and potency will always be in demand, legal or not. when corporations try to compete in this market it will only drive prices higher for everyone, legal or not. their quality is not going to meet the expectations of their customers, who will in turn either grow their own or buy from a private grower, legal or not. so nothing really changes but the prices which will increase to pay for medical plans and retirement benefits of employees. their price to the end user will constantly climb to keep up with business costs and inflation, energy, taxes, etc.

its like you can buy budweiser, brew your own beer, or buy from your local micro brewery. the budweiser will be the least expensive, the home brew---some people can and will brew their own, others won't have the time or desire to acquire the needed skills to brew their own. so people who want quality and don't have the time for brewing will seek out the micro-brewery. the tide makes all boats rise, so to speak. the legalization and mass manufacturing to follow will raise the private micro-growers to a whole new level. get used to it, you either grow your own or pay a premium for good quality herb, legal or not.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Case in point... you can't buy the wine I served at the part last night... anywhere. *shrug*

Nobody will use that much fruit/etc... to make a single batch of wine/mead... it's not possible to make it that way and still be able to sell sell for a profit. Everyone wanted more though and several folks are going so far as to get involved in making it themselves now. Mission accomplished!

The small grower will always be able to create a superior product to the commercial big boys... when time and understanding are the key. Anything that can be brute-forced is the realm of commercial profit making. That's what machines are for. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
There are going to be a LOT of opportunities spring up for a person to make his living off of legal marijuana that do not involve the direct sales of marijuana and will not be a red flag for federal authorities. A creative person could find a way to make a living, not necessarily a bizillionaire, but pay the bills. There will be plenty becoming bizillionaires, but a lot more just paying the rent and putting food on the table with a job that revolves around marijuana.

If you want to play it really safe, try to find something that is not illegal federally. You can assure you will have years of income and not be shut down because you are making money off of the herb itself. I would stay away from seed sales for the time being.

B

BrnCow

I know a kid that brews his own wine from fruit juice. One was made from 2 cans of orange juice concentrate, a gallon of water, a bag of sugar, and a tsp of yeast...tastes like Seagram's drink...

Bonghitz

^I hear that's what they do in prison...sounds unsafe to me...
Methanol metabolizes into formaldehyde which will make you blind.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Yeah And growing pot is dangerous cause it stabelizez into lead based paint.

Watch out, shit seems seems to be falling out of yalls mouth when you open it.

stasis

Veteran
So, the question is: How can the top 10% of growers turn this 'legal' market into a successful and stable Boutique-Quality Marijuana Business...?

Right now, unless one is well connected, the Em. Tri. is dead as a doornail, except for Bargain Basement deals, which I do not cater to. Funny how this dearth may be replaced by a system of good return for good work, at some juncture in time. One can only hope.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Case in point... you can't buy the wine I served at the part last night... anywhere. *shrug*

Nobody will use that much fruit/etc... to make a single batch of wine/mead... it's not possible to make it that way and still be able to sell sell for a profit. Everyone wanted more though
this is a contradiction...
if it is that desirable AND rare you can charge enough to make small batch production profitable.

stasis

Veteran
For many of us here on IC, the standard is higher. Amongst End-Users, many see what a lot of us here would call barely A's as AAA's. I have seen this time and time again. Show some top-notch stuff, common to us, and eyes of the End User just roll. Could be because usually, the best Flowers do not trickle down to them normally.

Our Premium is unseen normally to most. Bring it to a Club, the Managers share it. Off it to Your Boy, and Him and his friends keep it.

Most End-Users' "Premium" is moderately good., well-handled, not mangled buds.

guanito

It's all about marketing, branding, niche marketing, etc... The guy is well capitalized with a good business plan and is ready to go nationally as the dominoes fall. He's talking Davidoff cigars. There is going to have to be some standard bearing certifiable way to measure premium goods. But maybe that's impossible and it all comes down to marketing and salesmanship. I would think that local boutique shops would be best. Of course once trade in these goods increases we will be able to purchase goods from around the world.

We're all connoiseurs here. Even though I never grow expensive seeds my goods are pretty good - good taste and potency. I could use better growing and curing conditions for sure, but once I can come out of the shadows I will have these as well - and years of box growing experience.