What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizal Fungi

G

Mycorrhizal fungi spores are the special ingredient in all-natural Plant Success Growth Stimulant. These beneficial fungi protect plants' roots from many fungal diseases, improve soil structure and assist with nutrient uptake. The result: stronger, healthier plants and increased yields.

Mycorrhizal Fungi colonize plant roots and extend the root system into the surrounding soil. By attaching to the feeder roots, mycorrhizae greatly extend the effective absorbing area available to plants. Research demonstrates that mycorrhizal filaments can explore volumes of soil hundreds to thousands of times greater than roots themselves. This relationship is beneficial because the plant enjoys improved nutrient and water uptake, disease resistance, superior survival and growth. In addition, the relationship is beneficial by providing more uniform growth, increased leaf size, more flowering and increased vegetable yields.

Under natural conditions, plants live in close association with many soil microorganisms. Some are beneficial others are not. Mycorrhizal fungi act as a bridge allowing beneficial organisms to pass, and prevent harmful pathogens from crossing over, to the plant. To prevent these pathogens from destroying crops most nurseries and farms have resorted to sterilizing the soil either with chemicals or heat. The drawback to this practice is the death of the beneficial microorganisms, which under natural conditions help the plant make food from its surrounding habitat. The soil sterilization process perpetuates the need for more fertilizers unless mycorrhizae are reintroduced into the soil and to the plants. In order to achieve maximum performance nearly all commercially grown plants require mycorrhizae upon transplanting.

What Are Mycorrhizal Fungi?
"Mycor"-"rhiza" literally means fungus root and defines the mutually beneficial relationship between the plant root and the fungus. These specialized fungi colonize plant roots and extend far into the soil resource. Mycorrhizal fungal filaments in the soil are extensions of root systems and more effective in nutrient and water absorption than the roots themselves.

What Plants Form Specialized Roots With Mycorrhizal Fungi?
Over 90% of the world?s plant species form mycorrhizae and require the association for maximum performance in non-artificial conditions.

How Do Mycorrhizal Fungi Increase Nutrient Uptake?
These fungi increase the surface absorbing area of root 10 to 100x thereby greatly improving the ability of the plants to utilize the soil. Several miles of fungal filaments can be present in less than a thimbleful of soil. Mycorrhizal fungi increase nutrient uptake by increasing the surface absorbing area of roots, and by releasing powerful chemicals into the soil that dissolve hard to capture nutrients such as phosphorous, iron and other "tightly bound" soil nutrients. This extraction process is particularly important in plant nutrition and explains why non-mycorrhizal plants require high levels of fertilizers to maintain their health. Mycorrhizal fungi form an intricate web that captures and assimilates nutrients. In non-mycorrhizal conditions much of this fertility is wasted or lost from the system.

What Other Activities Do Mycorrhizal Fungi Do?
Mycorrhizal fungi are involved with a wide variety of other activities that benefit plant establishment and growth. The same extensive network of fungal filaments is important in water uptake and storage. In non-irrigated conditions, mycorrhizal plants are under far less drought stress compared to non-mycorrhizal plants.

Disease and pathogen suppression is another benefit for a mycorrhizal plant. Mycorrhizal fungi attack pathogen or disease organisms entering the root zone. For example, excretions of specific antibiotics produced by mycorrhizal fungi immobilize and kill disease organisms. Some mycorrhizal fungi protect pine trees from Phtophtthora Fusarium and Rhizoctonia diseases. In addition, mycorrhizal roots have a mantle, a tight, interwoven sock like covering of dense filaments that acts as a physical barrier against the invasion of root diseases.

Mycorrhizal fungi also improves the soil structure. Mycorrhizal filaments produce humic compounds and organic "glues" (extracellular polysaccharides) that bind soils into aggregates and improves soil porosity. Soil porosity and soil structure positively influence the growth of plants by promoting aeration, water movement into soil, root growth, and distribution. In sandy or compacted soils the ability of mycorrhizal fungi to promote the improvement of soil structure is as important as seeking out nutrients.

Don't Soils Already Contain Mycorrhizal Fungi?
Undisturbed soils are full of beneficiary soil organisms including mycorrhizal fungi. Research indicates however, many common practices can degrade the mycorrhizal forming potential of soil. Tillage, fertilization, removal of topsoil, erosion, site preparation, road and home construction fumigation, invasion of non-native plants, and leaving soil bare are some of the activities that can reduce or eliminate these beneficial soil fungi. Reintroducing mycorrhizal fungi in areas where they have been depleted can dramatically improve plant establishment and growth.

Many routine nursery practices such as fumigation and high levels of water and nutrients produce non-mycorrhizal plants that can grow well in artificial growing media, however they are poorly adapted to the garden environment.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Beneficial Fungi

Beneficial Fungi

On my latest grow, I've been utilizing mycorrhizal fungi in my aeroponic hydro system. You have to be very careful when using this type of fungi, as it will easily clog up your mister's in a heartbeat.....:cuss:
I'm presently trying a combination of two additional Advanced Nutrient product's using the Dr. Hornby label. I mixed a 50% watered down cocktail of Pirahna & Scorpion Juice, and introduced it to my seedlings when they were 7 days old by pouring the mixture into the rockwool cubes they were planted in.

Pirahna is a formula of mycorrhizal that contains 8 species of trichodermia and 16 species of endo & ecto fungi which organicaly excrete powerful chemicals that dissolve nutrients, absorb water, and promote soil porousity. Such actions greatly assist the development of root mass, and both nutrient and water absorption, via the symbiotic relationship between the plant, its roots, and the fungi. Scorpion Juice induces a systemic acquired resistance that innoculates your plants, which in turn is suppose to initiate an immune response that triggers increased resin production.

Recently I flipped my lights over to 12/12, and have once again started to feed my ladies watered down cocktails of Pirahna & Scorpoin Juice mixed together by carefully pouring it directly on my roots. Moreover, Pirahana & Scorpion Juice can also be used as a foliar spray. According to the Advanced Nutrient Feeding Calculator, Pirahna should be applied during the first two weeks of flower.

:canabis:

I too have recently introduced pirahana and voodoo juice (beneficial bacteria) to my garden. I'll be updating with any noticable results.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
mycorrhizal fungi

mycorrhizal fungi

DAMN Tex very profound post... I think it is important to note that this fungi specilizes (sp?) in drawing phosphous out of the medium,and or nutes. so you don't want to add too much Phos.or it will kill your micor. fungi= overdose. Someting to keep in mind.... ( as you can tell spelling is NOT one of my strong points.... sorry )

hi all, how do u use that in hydro, does plant success have a liquid? I use the powder
in soil and it works great. thanks

demeegod

http://www.genhydro.com/subculture.php

Has trichoderma and mycco's too, lot's of product out there have one or the other.. has both. Plus you dont have to settle for paying outrageous Advanced Nutrients prices for beneficial bacteria and fungi. If you got tarantula and voodoo you'd be paying hundreds while this is 13 bucks an oz. to 60 for 6oz and can make a decent size application. AN would be better if they didn't rob you by making you buy tons of product to get their "IDEAL" results. If they had maybe a three part system with two additives per stage ... and that was there sell... with reasonable prices for additives... they'd be better... plus I think their idea of R&D is funny... it's called.. let's see what others are selling and make our copied version of theirs and rename it. Plus, I love their selling pitch lie... we use chelated products.. others dont and are lying to you.

G

Alot of interesting link's posted people. Alot of morning reading for me to do, thank's.

There has been alot of talk on the boards about this subject, but this is a bit more in depth.

I am not sure what is in Hydrogaurd, but since I started using it I have hand much better root growth and healthy root's thru out the entier grow. This never happened for me when I was DWC style, then again I did not use the hydrogaurd back then either.

grow safe.

realhigh.

verge

Another vote for the friendly fungi! :cool:

Rememebr - "Go steady with your ppm's guys, strong chemical solutions will wipe out the little fella's" ;)

demeegod

Hydroguards fungi basically serve a different purpose and basically contains different kinds of Bacillus. It's serves to protect your roots and therefore, you have less damage to your root mass from pathogens and diseases.

Myco's settle in your roots and make homes in them. They make your roots grow by producing a symbiotic relationship with the plant and it therefore make MUCH more roots.

Trichoderma, well, I'll let Tex answer that, he has much more detailed explanations.

G

demeegod, well you basically said what the label say's, and I must say it has been an imporment on the garden. Maybe the combination of a few other thing's I am doing have worked together. I do feel so lucky at time's as I did not read about it, just used it on advice from another.

I am very interested in keeping my girl's as happy as can be, so I will have to look into this much deeper.

I am so glad I was invited to this site by a friend. It has been a pleasure to learn again. This is a very loaded site with knowledge about growing in many way's.

I only expect to build my knowledge and better my grow room to grow bigger and better girl's.

stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Well here i am going on about Vita-link again, but this product is 100% organic,
i think is this kinda thing, beneficial bacteria, its called Bio-pak, 100% organic bio-stimulant with nitrogen fixing, phosphorous solubilising and growth promoting bacteria and fungi says it also helps to chelate small mineral paticles to promote their entry into the plant. also contains, humic extracts, yucca extracts, cold water sea kelp, amino acids, vitamins and sugars. i had it given to me in the growshop, should av cost me 25 pounds. i wanted some superhtrive to use when transplanting, and he said try this, so i used it, and im impressesed, the plants i potted on with this in the watering, rooted the pot and took off straight away compared to the 2 plants i did without(experiment), all were Hindu kush x skunk #1 clones which were the samw age, from the same batch of cuts, in identical pots, and mix. Id recommend this product, and when it runs out( a long time cos this .2 litre tub of powder treats 800 litres of soloution) i will be buying some. i would say that all these things must be good.

demeegod

I did notice something earlier I didn't know and if someone will explain I'd be grateful. Beneficial fungi and organisms. Do they die in hydro-chemical nute solutions or is there a special way you must add them?

Just asking because I usually use Canna Aqua (which is the watered down Canna for recirculating systems) and wanted to know if that would basically kill Trichoderma or Mycos... seem to me hydroguard was made for hydroponic setups so I assume they took this into account but what about the others? WOuld I need to run the plant 48 hours with pure fungi and organisms for them to take hold first or something?

phillykid

I dunno how much they would help in hydro, the nutrients are already dissolved and there's plenty of water around for uptake so no need for assistance. It seems like this stuff is best for plants that are in a soil environment so they can help break down nutes. But usually people feed their plants fertilizer with dissolved nutes so I don't know how much they'd help.
I broke out my old biology text book and I'm trying to learn some plant physiology, it's really helping me to make some educated guesses as to what's really gonna help and what isn't. I think these hydro companies are making a killing off folks on additives and extra crap.

King

No philly the fungi is very good stuff. Hydro or Soil

If you are using organic nutes you need this to break down the organics to a form absorbable by your roots. This is the difference between organics and chemicals. Organics must be broken down. Chemicals are immediately ready for your roots. It really doesn't make a difference if it's soil or hydro, but rather chemical or organic. People using pure chemical nutes do not need to break down their nutes therefore it would be a waste. If you are using a organic/chemical mix you should be using the fungi. The organic side still needs to be broken down. The chemical side of the mix is already ready to go.

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran

Two-part mycorrhizal inoculants, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia, are for use with soil gardening and in hydroponics systems. When Earth Nectar—containing the concentrated mycorrhizal cultures—is mixed with Earth Ambrosia—the fuel delivery system for the active cultures—they combine to infuse the growing medium with mycorrhizal cultures resulting in stronger plants and increased crop yields.

EARTH NECTOR & EARTH AMBROSIA
Earth Nectar & Earth Ambrosia. Used together in your cloning system these solutions prevent the slimy buildup that sometimes accompanies the water in the system if not changed often. Using these solutions cuts down on the gray matter that at times appears on fledgling cuttings. You will find this product to be indispensable in your cloning adventures. Sold in set of pints or quarts, must buy both.