What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

monster seedlings indoor

HashTree

Hash Tree here,

So the last couple years outdoors have not gone so well with the weather and the animals. I have a new place and am looking forward to growing indoors again in a legal state.
I don't have my cabinet set up yet but I popped a few seeds a couple weeks ago and have been blown away by the size of these things so I thought i'd do a grow diary on these babies.

Look at the size of these first baby leaves!

That one is the biggest but all 4 are pretty similar. The three on the right are Paonia Purple Paralyzer mutts and the one on the left is the same strain x with a Northern Lights male I had last year.

I should have noted when I popped them but I'm guessing it was about 2 weeks ago.

Soil is strait roots organic 707 with some extra perilite.

The light for now is just my aerogarden 9 or 15 watt led in a room thats 70 deg and 75% humidity. just running 24/hrs a day for now.

I plan to build up a cabinet out of a 18" x 36" x 7' tall metal storage cabinet to house a flowering chamber and a small veg area underneath. Any suggestions for led lights would be appreciated. The choices are overwhelming. I used to be a florescent and hps guy but these leds seem to run so cool and energy efficient.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm in to see how these turn out.
lurk.gif

HashTree

How many of these threads with the same subject are you going to start?
I started one in questions about the size of the baby leaves. I thought I'd do a grow diary on these plants but that it should be in grow diaries instead of grow questions. Does that seem weird?

Bona Fortuna

I started one in questions about the size of the baby leaves. I thought I'd do a grow diary on these plants but that it should be in grow diaries instead of grow questions. Does that seem weird?

It's not weird.

Keep on trucking.
Those are monster leaves

HashTree

Thanks I'm not a prolific poster on forums so I'm still learning forum etiquette.

So half the plants are looking unhappy. The leaves are curling down and seem very crisp. I hadn't used this soil before and it seems to have gotten very dense and is not holding water as well in the last couple days. I'm thinking I should repot them soon and go a little heavier on the perlite. Anyway let me know what you think. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180922_101331.jpg
    20180922_101331.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180922_101257.jpg
    20180922_101257.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 23

Bona Fortuna

You could probably ask a mod to delete the posting in the help...

...or just keep it active and post questions you have in that thread, but show updates here.

My first guess would be heavy overdosing of fertilizer and then my second would correspond with your guess, compaction/water issues.
I've found roots 707 soil to be a tad hot in the first few weeks.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'd say that's too small of a pot. If the soil feels compacted that might be because it's full of roots. I think the rule of thumb is a pot diameter that is equal or greater than how far your leaves stretch? Do you have drainage holes in those solo cups? Are there roots trying to bust out?

HashTree

Just using plain water no nutes. I think that 707 is a little hot

Solo cups have a big x cut in the bottom so great drainage. Roots are at the bottom but not reaching out yet.

I think I'll repot this weekend.

krazyken

Big fat indica, look up duckfoot strain! Mostly indica strains tend to have fat leaves, especially males early in growth! Are they regular or feminized seeds?

HashTree

Big fat indica, look up duckfoot strain! Mostly indica strains tend to have fat leaves, especially males early in growth! Are they regular or feminized seeds?

That's a crazy plant! I'd never heard of it.

This PPP is a heavy Indica for sure. I've grown it several times before outdoors. It's just never started out like this so it's gotta be environmental. There just regular seeds.

HashTree

I had to go out of town for a while for work. I they didn't look happy when I got back. Not much in the way of light, nutrients, or water. The big leaves had yellowed and dried up. They really don't look special anymore. But hey I'll keep um going while I get my cabinet setup and dialed in.

Attachments

• 20181007_214354.jpg
    20181007_214354.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20

HashTree

Well I had hoped to jump back into indoor like a pro but instead I feel like a fool. I thought I was a good grower but I'm now feeling like I have just been blessed with great water so far in life. Plants went downhill when I left and just have been slow and difficult. I pH'd my water ( I've never had to pH in soil grow before) and my water was a 7. Runoff was almost 7. Leaves where pale green and older leaves where brown and dying off so I removed them to allow light to get to the new shoots. Also the bag of perlite I used smells like mice piss.

So I have pH'd the water to about 5.8 to try and bring the runoff down. I gave them a light feeding of maxigro. They are a little darker but growing very slowly and still getting brown spots on the leaves as they mature. I'm thinking I need to pick up some cal-mag.
I also have a lemon tree that is similar. It put on leaves the are about 6 times bigger than last year but aren't looking to happy now.
So anyway. I'm thinking it's the water. I just thought they would bounce back quicker after correcting the pH.

Attachments

• 20181017_082858.jpg
    20181017_082858.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181017_082842.jpg
    20181017_082842.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181017_082957.jpg
    20181017_082957.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18

Bona Fortuna

They almost look like ficus plants.
Hiccups happen.

Magnesium and calcium for all, including the lemon tree. Maybe a small dose of nitrogen and potassium.

HashTree

Just an update. I think the girls are turning around finally. I had one Male in the bunch so he's gone.

I have been Ph'ing the water down to 6.5. Lightly Feeding with some maxigro I had laying around. And adding calimagic.

The other problem I had was with the cheap blurple led I was using. After some reading I had them way to close wich can stunt the growth. Also I had to restrain from watering with these LEDs. The temps and perspiration are way different than with the HPS I used to run.

I had some gnats but that that was probably from me overwatering. Not really liking this 707 soil but I think my new place has crap for well water. I'm kinda thinking if I have to PH and add calmag each water I might as well do hydro next run anyway.

Anyway here they are. A little LST and defoliation and I'm ready to throw them into flower.

Attachments

• 20181026_103014.jpg
    20181026_103014.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 20

Bona Fortuna

Things are looking better!

I've sworn by peat moss, native clay, perlite and amendments.

Prebagged soil has been incredibly hot or miss (phone autocorrected and I'm deciding to leave it in).

Latest posts

Latest posts