What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this PC-growbox safe?

Gimpdisco

Hey folks.
I turned this PC into a growbox and all the wiring is pretty much done. My only concern is the fact that moisture, heat, blowing fans and electricity don't always mix well together and this is also my first grow operation. I won't leave the grow unattended for long periods of time but it would royally suck if it was to burn down while i was at the supermarket getting some munchies or something. Here are the basics of the setup and i'll post some pictures of the wiring etc. below. Let me know what you think. Any input is appreciated.

Fan 1:
Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (+ DIY carbon filter)
Max. Input Power 3,6 W
Max. Input Current 0,3 A
Voltage 12 V

Fan 2:
Silverstone FM121
Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Rated Current 0.40A, 0.5A (Max.)
Rated Power 4.8W (Max. 6.0W)

Fan 3:
Silverstone FM121
Rated Voltage 12 VDC

Fan controller:
Scythe Kaze Q 3.5" Fan Controller
Voltage Range: 5 V (±10%) - 12 V (±10%)
Fan Channels: 4 (max. 1 Ampere / max. 12 W)

All fans get power from the controller, the controller is connected to a 12V DC charger (2,25 A, 27 W), the charger is connected to a extension cord which is equipped with surge protection.

90W COB LED lightning will be added later and that will be connected to a timer, which has a place in the extension cord.
Case is a Nexus edge covered in mylar. Grow medium will be soil.

Silverstone fan wirings are in this wet room junction box. These fans actually had their own independent controllers but i thought it would be neat to connect all three fans to the same control panel.

This is the scythe fan controller and it can be covered with that white styrofoam piece. Is that enough cover though? From moisture?

Also. This is my first post on icmag. Powerful.

Attachments

• pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 52
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 56
  • contr.jpg
    contr.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 49
  • pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48

Exotic_Grow

Hey folks.
I turned this PC into a growbox and all the wiring is pretty much done. My only concern is the fact that moisture, heat, blowing fans and electricity don't always mix well together and this is also my first grow operation. I won't leave the grow unattended for long periods of time but it would royally suck if it was to burn down while i was at the supermarket getting some munchies or something. Here are the basics of the setup and i'll post some pictures of the wiring etc. below. Let me know what you think. Any input is appreciated.

Fan 1:
Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (+ DIY carbon filter)
Max. Input Power 3,6 W
Max. Input Current 0,3 A
Voltage 12 V

Fan 2:
Silverstone FM121
Rated Voltage 12 VDC

Fan 3:
Silverstone FM121
Rated Voltage 12 VDC

Fan controller:
Scythe Kaze Q 3.5" Fan Controller
Voltage Range: 5 V (±10%) - 12 V (±10%)
Fan Channels: 4 (max. 1 Ampere / max. 12 W)

All fans get power from the controller, the controller is connected to a 12V DC charger (2,25 A, 27 W), the charger is connected to a extension cord which is equipped with surge protection.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=353551&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

90W COB LED lightning will be added later and that will be connected to a timer, which has a place in the extension cord.
Case is a Nexus edge covered in mylar. Grow medium will be soil.

Silverstone fan wirings are in this wet room junction box. These fans actually had their own independent controllers but i thought it would be neat to connect all three fans to the same control panel.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=353552&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
This is the scythe fan controller and it can be covered with that white styrofoam piece. Is that enough cover though? From moisture?
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=353553&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Also. This is my first post on icmag. Powerful.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=353554&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I don't think you will have an issue with any moisture as the air inside the box is most likely hotter than the air outside the box meaning that any air that comes into the box will get warmer and therefore be able to hold more moisture.

TL:DR As long as your box is hotter than the outside you wont have any condensation. :)

Lamogio

Hi mate , nice set up !
Like Exotic_Grow said , moisture won't be your problem , unless you live in a very moist area .. but still , moisture is not such a problem .
In my opinion , any fan will be ok because you have a tiny space and you only need proper amount of air coming in and out , don't worry about moisture .

The 90w led you have will not produce so much heat , so heat is not your problem !
I think you will be ok !

Genes

This looks like the safest PC grow you could make thus far. My first grow was in a gutted PC where I somehow fixed powerbars to the top and plugged in bulb->two prong adatpers held in with metal wire... Used a lot of CFLs and was surprised I never shocked myself. I also wired up some computer fans to to one adapter and let the wires sit in there too. I love your junction boxes! I am sure you will enjoy this project :)

Latest posts

Latest posts