What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE HELP. Root rot DWC

noob1988

Im growing my only plant I have left which is Big Buddhas Blue Cheese. Im growing in a 10 gallon dwc. Im using Flora Nova. Plant is about 6 weeks old in veg. Had it under CFLs. Been keeping my water temps down with 2L bottles of frozen water.
Ive noticed the rot root(didn't know at the time it was root rot) about 2 weeks ago. I thought I was just the flora nova.
I turned on my 400w MH about 2 days ago. Yesterday when I came home the plant looked horrible. checked the res and the roots were slimy brown ( looked at multiple pictures of root rot and brown slime, im 90% sure its root rot) along with foam in my res. the ph rose to 7.5. the temp in the room was 90 and 80 in the res, so im sure it was the high temps that did me in. I also hadn't changed the res in about 4 weeks.
So I took the plant out and rinsed off the roots in my sink multiple times. Now I have the plant just sitting in the sink with about 1 gallon of plain water with H202. im going to the store today to buy a 5 gallon bucket with new air hose and stones.
My question is can I use h202 or bleach along with the FlorNova? I thought I read somewhere you can do it with a organics. So I was thinking about using chemical nutes. I did try to take 3 clones but I have no clonex or anything so im hoping it works.
So please any advice to sqve this plants. ive topped it like 4 timesa already, 20+ colas and super cropped twice. it was doing so good. id hate to have to start all over. PLEASE and thanks.
ok, just went to Walmart and got a 5 gallon bucket, air stones, and air tubing. about to put my plant in it. What kind of mixed should I do? I was thinking ill just fill it up with some Phed RO water and I idk if I should go with bleach or H202. please help guys, need to get that plant in something.
I have root excel, flouralishish (could be spelling that wrong) and floranova grow/bloom. I have to get this done in the next hour.
If I don't hear anything, im just going to use plain phed RO water with a little GH root excel and I saw Granger posted this on a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
Yes, you need to determine the cause, but adding 1.5 Tbl[22.5 ml]/gal[4 L] of 6% H2O2 is a good thing to do to arrest the damage till you can correct the cause. Good luck. -granger
I have 3% so I will double this amount.

couchlocked88

I am also new to hydro but i had a similar problem and i let my plant bubble in a h2o2 solution for ten minutes and washed the roots well under sink water.I got my problem from high temps and light leaks into the resovoir.My roots look much better now.Anyway I really hope someone else can chime in with more knowledge.Good luck bro sounds like that plants a beast.You should put a pic up.would love to see,also thats my favorite strain.

StoneyK

Veteran
H202 no bleach.
Rinse what you can off, leave em in your sink while you THOROUGHLY clean your system. Id run a strong mix of h202 thru it get it clean...very clean.
Then aboit the only other thing you can do is a good enzyme product and then no guarantees.
This is the heart breaker of a dwc system.
Id run heavy enzymes or go sterile with h202. One or the other not both they cancel each other out h202 kills enzymes.
I reccomend cannazym but its kindy pricey others use hygrozyme and other enzyme products what ever you choose you need to run like a double dose... dont be cheap its the ONLY hope you got at this point.
Or
Scrap it an start ovee, its a very real possibility your gonna end up here anyways.
Post some pics so we can see how depressed the plants are.

Meison

Richyrich's Tea will solve this problem. Easy, cheap and effective.

The tea I prepare is simple with less than half the stuff Richy puts into his, and the ph of it is 6.1 + nutes (veg) gets around 5.8, if flowering nutes, then goes to 5.6-5.7.

Really saved my ass in my last run, take your time to read about it. If you got the slime, no h2o2 or bleach will kill it. Happen to me.

Either go with Richy's Tea or Erythromycin (I think its called something like that, its an antibiotic (really hard stuff)) but works great to clean the system and get rid of the slime.

Tea is organic, cheap and easy to use. And you an add it to your system with plants on it. Unlike the erythromycin.

I now grow tea style. If sterile goes wrong I just add tea and switch.

Plus I top off now only using tea. My tab water comes at 140ppm and after I make the tea with it it goes to 170ppm so it doesn't screw my feedings at all. Plus gives some nice N to the mix without needing any nutes (really nice for flowering) to keep the yellowing away till the end of the crop cycle.

cheers

noob1988

you guys are awesome man, I appreciate yall taking the time to help me out being this is my first grow, there's lots I don't know. From everything people are telling me and stuff ive recently been reading about, tea is the way to go. But there are lots of tea recipes out there. Guess im just going to have to pick one and start from there. K+ guys.

Unclecrash

I have a dwc bucket going and noticed I had a bit of root rot and maybe other problems . So I started using Hydrogaurd, nothaving much money I found it for a round 20 bucksor so. ithas root innocullants in it. It will turn your slimy roots into good healtht root's pretty quick. My brown roots were growing new white roots out of them in about four days and now it is starting to explode root's again.:tiphat: I tryed Peroxide but it was not enough.

Unclecrash

Another thing is , it might be stressing bad from putting it right under the MH lights. Keep the light up high for a while .

TedNugget

Did you have air stones going in your last setup? Maybe you need more air...

GH Flora Shield works well for hydro root problems. It's basically just h2o2 though.
SM-90 is also great for hydro & aero setups. It's coriander oil and is ok with organics and works well to avoid common root problems. I don't know that it will fix your problem but it won't hurt and is a good avoidance measure in the future.

Honestly, I don't know if root rot is fix-able. Once the roots are gone the plant doesn't stand a chance. Hopefully you caught it before its too late. If it gets too severe you will know because the plant will basically wilt up and die. If its healthy enough to clone, definitely take clones just in case.
Run that Flora Shield (or h2o2) in your rez for the rest of this run. Id add some SM-90 too. Add lots of air stones you can't have too much air. Not enough air will cause your roots to rot. Change your water once a week. It never hurts to change the water. Waiting too long definitely can hurt though. I'd also run beneficials in the future too - bacteria and mycorrhizae etc. they will help prevent this from happening again.
I'd also recommend cutting out the brown rotted roots if possible. And run enzymes (like someone above said) to eat the dead & dying roots.

TedNugget

Oh and no, none of the stuff in that picture is enzymes. Enzymes are things like Hygrozyme or Sensizym or Cannazym. They are enzymes that break down dead roots and should be part of every feeding regime in my opinion.

overbudjet

Veteran
Go with mother nature, use beneficial microbes and breed an army that will fight the invader with no merci:)
Subculture B from GH or liquid piranna by AN work well for me you can also breew your own Richyrich's tea.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I may, your life and plants will be much happier and healthier in Flood & Drain

It should be easy for you to covert this grow

Just get a net pot that your rots will fit into + a ~ 5 gallon tote to put the plant into

Note how soft and fluffy these roots are. Billion times more efficient at nutrient uptake

See my DIY Mini-Me tutorial for parts list

View attachment 293100 View attachment 293101 View attachment 293102

I agree petflora, tried flood and drain a couple years ago and its easy peasy.

I can remember being a young grower just out of high school, of course wanting huge yields so I bought a CHEAP dwc setup. Those 4 plants never made it to flower (R.I.P girls root rot sucks!) and I was so pissed I threw the system to the side and started going only soil. It was 10 years before I tried again...

Then switched to flood and drain... My next decision was to get rid of SOIL lol

noob1988

well, I decided to chop her down for clones. I got 16, 4 of which need to be transplanted like today.

I also think I will try coco instead and maybe a 5 or 10 gallon dwc for the fuck of it.

I also think I will try a recommend (thanks DONAJTHEIII) tea consisting of Great White, GH Ancient Forest and molasses for root rot, and orca for maintence. What do you guys think?

Unclecrash

Quote:

Honestly, I don't know if root rot is fix-able. Once the roots are gone the plant doesn't stand a chance. Hopefully you caught it before its too late. If it gets too severe you will know because the plant will basically wilt up and die. If its healthy enough to clone, definitely take clones just in case.

it only takes a Google search to prove your wrong and you can reverse the root rot . Hydrogaurd from botanicare will do the job . I have watched my brown dying roots start growing new white roots right out of the slimy brown, not here to argue, just telling what my experience has been using the product. It only takes about 3 to 4 days to see the new roots taking over the slime. I would not post this if the product didn't work. You can use peroxide but it just kills the bacteria and does not help to keep fighting it off, like the hydrogaurd has done.

Unclecrash

If you try it make sure and get the new improved hydrogaurd. It worked so well . I have been using it on all my plants in veg and bloom that are in coco. I even tryed it in dirt and it will strip all the rust off your root's. It is cheap and it goes a long ways 2ml to a gallon I use it as it say's 2ml each and every watering. I can pop a pic of my shining roots if you like . Since using it my plants are thriving and the roots exploded from tiny struggling roots to big mass roots in all my plants. Oh and I am in no way affeliated with any grow company.

TedNugget

Yeah, I just meant once it gets too severe is all. I've seen it to the point where there was no live roots left. If you catch it soon enough you can definitely bring the plant back.
And I agree hydro guard is a good product for hydro & aero. I used to always run it in my aeroflo. I'm in soil now so I tend to use the powdered beneficials for the soil.
But anyway, sorry for the confusion in my other post.

DONAJTHEIII

I think your golden with The Tea in an ez cloner with plain RO WATER ! After the roots establish nice fatty root mass go into your system of choice my man

ORCA is amazing no H202 just ORCA ORCA ORCA ! Not the biggest fan of hydroguard.... the species list in Orca/GW speaks for itself but everyone has their own preference

VARIETY is what I like

AJAE