What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PERLITE what size?

Yesca73

does anybody have any recomendations on what size perlite to use? will be filling a 65 gallon smartpot with FoxFarm OF 7cf and perlite 2cf.

The chunky perlite from fox farm is the shit, though hard to find sometimes. I was told that perilite is a byproduct of the Sheetrock and gypsum industry, so since recession has hit building and construction industries Sheetrock is in less demand therefor there is less byproduct, perilite to go around. Now I'm not sure if this info is right but it may help you somehow.
Oh the chunkier the perilite the better drainage and aeration the faster roots grow. Hope this helps

Bud Sweat

big and chunky! fox farms makes it like mentioned above and it works great. I ended up getting some shittier perlite this year from agway though just for convenience and price purposes.

R

Rysam

I use the cheapest perlite I can find. I got a HUGE bag of redi-gro? for 12 bucks.

forty

the home depot shit is too fine and turns into a soggy couscous.. stick with the big n chunky as recommended.

Yesca73

thanx for all the responses. I was think about the Home Depot perlite but it did look to small. I asked my local hydro store for FF big n chuncky and they said they couldnt get it.all i found was Sunshine and something called maiden earth#4 . will probaly call around more tomorrow and see if i can find Fox Farm perlite

R

Rysam

I have no clue how these got like this with garden store perlite? Shit, maybe i need to spend 2x as much next time.

picture.php

picture.php

I cant believe Ive been fooled all along.
Oh wait, this was grown in perlite from the same source (same bagged brand)..better not use it again "as recommended"

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
Check out Mad's perlite thread in the organic soil section. He's been using
oil absorbent from Napa and makes a pretty good case for it. I picked up some at Auto Zone to play with, $7 for 50#. Heavier than perlite, it seems to hold it's place better. I've had a pepper planted straight in it for for just under a week plus it's been sprinkled around my squash with no ill effects.
100 % diatomaceous earth.

Check the hydro shop for samples of silica rock as well. Nobody has had any for sale, just plenty of samples.

Sickleg

i prefer pumice as it will hold up much longer...

Uuuhh perlite doesn't degrade dude...

As for what size? Like everyone says the chunkier the better. Just don't do as I did and buy masonry perlite(used for insulation). I found out after I bought 40 cu. ft that it is treated with silicone to make it water repelling. Not a property you want your soil to have lol!

Sickleg

have you ever tilled in amendments to existing beds with a shovel?

or perhaps excavated existing holes/beds with a tractor?

uhhhhh yeah perlite breaks down dude...

Yes, and it looks exactly the same as it did 12 months before. Are you saying it breaks down as in it decomposes or gets broken down into smaller pieces?

If the former, then what exactly is decomposing?? Perlite is a rock, it contains no organic matter to decompose. Impossible.

If the latter, what sort of forces are causing it to get crushed? Certainly not the act of watering. The roots of the plant? I don't think so...

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: PERLITE what size?

Shoveling and mixing..fuck get a piece between your thumb and finger and you will can easily crush it to powder..hell in the bag of perlite itself I can see lots of it crushed just from being handled...despite that I still use it lol...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had great results with the HD large green bag chunky Perlite. if I was going through that much soil again I would get more. Also dont put to much this is not a good thing and will kill your plants. Your soil wont retain enough moisture to keep the plants healthy

Yesca73

u think 7cf FFOF to 2cf perlite is to much perlite?
it will be outdoors, 65 gallon smartpots, 100+ degrees july and august.