What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin and vape pen recommendations

meizzwang

So far, I've tried a cheap-o vape pen for rosin/full melt hash/wax and it has worked great at first. However, over time, the rosin seeps into the ceramic chamber and even when I take small rips of freshly packed rosin, it burns the heck out of my throat! I suspect the burnt "waste" rosin that has seeped into the ceramic chamber gives off a smokeless gas?

It's recommended to try burning it off and I've used up the entire battery until the chamber no longer "smokes." Still, even with no smoke, some faint cannabis odor is emitted and it doesn't seem right. Your throat should not burn like crazy after vaping!

I recently got a pu**co pro 2, and this would be the ideal vape pen, but you have to fill the large chamber in order to get a good vape hit. You can't just vape small quantities, and it's very hard to load small amounts without the extract sticking to the walls or getting stuck underneath the coils.

Can anyone suggest a good vape pen for rosin/full melt hash/wax that is:
1) easy to clean
2) has temperature control
3) ideal for vaping small amounts at a time
4) easy to use
5) long lasting/doesn't break easily
6) $100 or less

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Try FuckCombustion forum, there are a lot of vapers over there.

meizzwang

Thanks guys! One of the local shops recommended pu##co plus, which is supposed to have no coils and you can load whatever amount you want. They claim it mimics the function of a ceramic nail, anyone have experience/opinions on this device?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
FocusVape Pro. About $100 Very good build quality and design. Uses easily changeable 18650 flat top batteries. Extra batteries and fancy chargers are cheap on eBay.
picture.php

meizzwang

Okay, got the Puf#co plus and it came with an extra chamber. It vaped beautifully a few times and had great flavor, but was difficult to clean, and subsequent hits became slightly less flavorful, even when on the lowest settings. At first, I was really impressed and happy. However, Within less than a week of use, both chambers burnt out, and the shop refused to replace it and told me to go talk to the manufacturers directly. They said the chambers last anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months on average, depending on how you use it. Never done this in my life, but I literally threw it away, didn't even give it away to a friend to prevent others from falling into this trap. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and never again! $110 down the drain.

Let's say it worked, reasons why I won't go for any vape pens ever again:
1) they're designed to fail-the guy at the shop told me "how do you think they make money?" Sounds like a scam: if they made good quality pens that lasted a long time, they'd sell more pens and have less angry customers.
2) Chambers last anywhere from less than 10 puffs to 3 months on average, and they cost around $25 to replace.
3) the guy at the shop told me all pens work this way, parts need to be replaced very frequently. Crappier models don't give good vape quality, but parts are cheaper to replace. If this is true, vape pens aren't for me.
4) can't heat this device more than 4X in a row, otherwise the chamber can burn out.
5) can't dry fire the chamber more than 1x in a row, otherwise the chamber can burn out.
6) So, they expect us to remember all this shit while we're getting stoned? Again, it goes to show these pens are designed to increase user error and to break quickly.
7) They're damn expensive. When I got the pen, I paid a lot for it, and expected that it'll work for at least a year before any parts need replacing.
8) the guy at the shop told me no vape pen on the market is built or designed to last.

I went over to a buddy's house this weekend and he introduced me to his $20 nectar collector (it's this pyrex or glass straw that can be super-heated), freakin blown away! Every hit no matter how many times you puffed on it was smooth and flavorful, zero coughing even on large rips, and all you need is this glass tube ($20), butane (couple of bucks) and blow torch ($7 for a pocket sized one), and your concentrate! You heat one end until it turns red hot, dip it into your concentrate, and suck into the glass straw. Totally done with vape pens, this nectar collector is amazing, cost effective, and gives consistently excellent results. It's small enough to fit in your pocket and cools down pretty quick after use. My friend said he must have used his over 1000 times now and it's still working just fine! I'm surprised so few know or talk about it!

The glass can break, but the math and consistently excellent results make it a no brainer: spend a minimum of $200/year on average to acquire and maintain your vape pen (no guarantee the parts will work more than once when you get them and you can't return them!), or spend maybe a maximum of $75-125/year on a nectar collector, assuming you break your nectar collector 2-3 times a year.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
That's total bull shit.

I have a Seego VHit Glacier that I have been using for 3 years. My wife sucks on that thing every day, all day (OK OK, No smart ass comments) It comes with 2 or 3 cups and I have never had to buy a new one.

The bad taste is, however, common to most vapes. You have to clean it. Often.

I just drop the coil and cup into a little jar of alcohol. While that soaks, I use the other one. Not a big deal.

I think I paid 35 to 50 bucks for it.

EDIT: Oops, they went down. LOL $15. Uses a standard battery. I use a VPro adjustable battery.

https://www.seegovapor.com/vhit-series-vaporizer/seego-vhit-glacier

meizzwang

Thanks for the info Ringodoggie, good to know! I made the mistake of trusting the info given to me by the sales rep. at the shop. You never know how good any of these devices are unless you try them, the online marketing makes pieces of shit look like gold, and it's hard to tell what's good and what's not.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Thanks for the info Ringodoggie, good to know! I made the mistake of trusting the info given to me by the sales rep. at the shop. You never know how good any of these devices are unless you try them, the online marketing makes pieces of shit look like gold, and it's hard to tell what's good and what's not.

That is absolutely the truth. It's a trial and error process, for sure. I have drawers full of vapes and pipes and grinders that didn't do what they were supposed to. And, more than a few were not cheap.

Check online reviews and ask at the forums before you buy. And then, watch out for fakes when you buy. Most of the popular brands have some kind of knock-offs. If the price is too good to be true....you know the rest. I usually buy from an authorized dealer or from the manufacturer themselves (if available)

Nothing is better then the nectar collector for me especially at a campout around the fire when you cant dab off a rig cuz its too dark to c the nail

meizzwang

That is absolutely the truth. It's a trial and error process, for sure. I have drawers full of vapes and pipes and grinders that didn't do what they were supposed to. And, more than a few were not cheap.

Check online reviews and ask at the forums before you buy. And then, watch out for fakes when you buy. Most of the popular brands have some kind of knock-offs. If the price is too good to be true....you know the rest. I usually buy from an authorized dealer or from the manufacturer themselves (if available)

I'm very grateful for you sharing your experience, thank you! Hopefully others will read this thread and save themselves the frustration and money!

Egzoset

Salutations MeizzWang,

Hopefully others will read this thread and save themselves the frustration and money!

Quite frankly i fail to see the difference from 2010 when i started my quest, only to realize i should have paid attention to the main selection criteria which matters the most for me anyway:

"Release/Transport Agent"

If it's Hot Dry Air alone and the device was build around an Ovenizer à la Volcano/Arizer then that's a no-go simply because the fundamental design is flawed, at least to me. Considering practially all ready-made products are also built like this it's just a waste of my time to read such futile invitation, even worse replying to it. Some 5 years and thousands of dollars later i think i know all i need to learn already, thank you for providing a sample what's the problem with this industry.

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

Wolfshadoe

Vape juice..

Vape juice..

Lol,,Prolly should have done some research myself before I burnt out a lot of coils,cartlidges,and tanks:biggrin:

It took awhile,but I use a big vape battery that can adjust temps.
My best is set between 15-17..After a lot of trial/error remedies I found that I had to use wax liquidizers that came in all the flavors and still can only use in big tank with proper coil..

My research {diy} stuff,its the extraction process. I cant compete with multi 1000 dollar C02 extraction to get the purest product for those fancy lil pens,but I have managed to get mine to work in the big tanks. As yall have said the taste goes if you fill your tank too much.I just add what I need for the day or for traveling.
Peace yall..<ws>

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
For what its worth, we have a Firefly 2 as well as the Focusvape Pro. The Focusvape is our go to vape. We've had the Firefly for almost two years and the Focusvape about a year.

The Firefly is expensive, very good quality, and best for one person bc it only heats when you want a hit. It heats up in a second or two. Very fast. The downside of the Firefly is that the bowl is a little small for two people. You have to refill. The draw is a bit hard as well. Spare batteries and external charger are pricey as well.

The Focusvape Pro goes for ages on a charge. It holds a good amount for two people. The digital temp gage is easy to set and to use. You can set any temp. We have a bunch of friends that bought these and were very happy. Spare batteries and external charger are about 5 bucks on ebay. Heat up time is about 30 seconds.