What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

opg

Hello. Need help, please. (If I'm in wrong place, excuse a newbie mistake.)
Does anyone have an information who is producer of Santhica 27 variety, can it be found for eco planting and can it be purchased directly from producer or through a vendor and which one?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hello opg,
According to the European 'COMMON CATALOGUE OF VARIETIES OF AGRICULTURAL PLANT SPECIES' (HERE, change the EN in the URL to FR or DE if you want it in French or German), France is the producing country and the responsible company/society/ministry is the following:

Fédération Nationale des Producteurs de Chanvre (FNPC)
20, Rue Paul Ligneul
F-72000 Le Mans
France
Tel: +33 (0)2 43 51 15 00
Fax: +33 (0)2 43 51 15 09

You can only buy it as a registered French farmer obviously only in 'farming quantities' (>25kg?) and following all the needed procedures (registration etc.).

Maybe if you're lucky, you find a farmer or someone who sells it gram wise? Ask in an 'Agri' or 'Gamme Vert' if you live in France. Otherwise, find someone from France to look around for you ;) .

May I ask why you're interested in an as good as cannabinoid and essential oil free hemp variety like Santhica and why exactly the Santhica 27?

opg

It's said that this sort is good for our climate, has a good seed yield, and it's available here for purchase. We're not processing it, we're selling it further for seed. Sadly, Croatian law doesn't allow processing hemp stalks so we have to destroy them... :( Unfortunatelly, price is extremely high on Croatian market so that's why I'm trying to find a source.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Okay, I see...
I suppose that for Croatia the Santhica 70 would be better because of its later harvest and hence better suitability for Southern Europe.
Or try the Carmagnola (Italy) which is well adapted for your climate or the Novosadska konomplja (Serbia). Maybe you can get Ukrainian varieties more easily? They should also work well in Croatian climate.
I don't know which variety is better for seeds or for fibre... I know that the all the aforementioned ones are big plants with a very high fibre production.

Anyway; look at the link I sent you. There you'll find all the addresses of the European producers.
But the prices seem to be rather fixed and always about 250 € for a 25 kg sack!

opg

Thank you very much. :) I already learned more than I ever thought that I'll learn about hemp in all my life. ;)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Corrigendum

Corrigendum

Maybe you can get Ukrainian varieties more easily? They should also work well in Croatian climate.
Sorry, made a mistake! I meant Hungarian varieties, not Ukrainian ones. In former Yugoslavia, mainly Italian and Hungarian varieties have been bred but not those from Ukraine.

Furthermore, an older Yugoslavian variety was ‘Flajsmanova’; don't know if you still can get it.

Besides, the only address selling agricultural hemp seeds I could find was the Institute of Field Crops and Vegetables in Novi Sad,
21470 Backi Petrovac, Serbia. But that information is nearly 20 years old and it was still Yugoslavia. But they sold also small amounts to private persons... These infos come from HERE.

Anyway, you should be able to find something as Croatia (and your neighbour Slovenia; they may have a better established hemp production) are in the EU and should have access to several varieties of hemp seeds.

Here's another link with addresses (but they list Croatia with a Serbian address??): CLICK

Dear Only Ornamental and hemp seed hub-people,

I've learned a lot about the different hemp cultivars thanks to this thread. This year a friend and I are setting up a pilot experiment that focusses on growing organic hemp with specific qualities. I have some questions regarding this experiment on which I'd like some answers and constructive feedback. In order to keep this hemp seed hub thread on topic I started my own thread concerning this pilot experiment.

idiit

Veteran
PressTV: Here comes Ukrainian hemp
Posted on March 29, 2014

Legalization is entirely doable, and the pressures in its favor are indeed likely to grow, but it’s going to require huge public pressure. Where books like Walker’s and Fine’s are most helpful is informing that little snippet of the public that reads books of the incredible benefits to be gained. Hemp is apparently the healthiest food on earth, both for feeding people and for feeding farm animals whom people eat or from which people eat the eggs or drink the milk. The same crop of hemp can, if all goes well, produce material stronger than steel or softer than cotton. And the same crop can, in theory, produce a third thing at the same time, from yet another part of the plant: fuel. You can build your tractor out of hemp, fuel it with hemp, and use it to harvest hemp — hemp that is busy restoring your soil, preventing erosion, and surviving the drought and climate change. You can do this while eating and drinking hemp and wearing clothes made of hemp and washed with hemp in your house also made of hemp and lime — a house that sucks carbon out of the atmosphere.

more here: http://jhaines6.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/presstv-here-comes-ukrainian-hemp/

Only Ornamental

Veteran
It is strange that hemp is not legal in Ukraine since they did the heavy lifting in hemp cultivation and breeding for the former USSR... but Russia prohibited hemp cultivation as well (these idiots!) and were the first to set the THC limit down to 0.2% (idem).
Communism and hemp was like hippies and cannabis, just with less sex, drugs and rock 'n roll :D

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Maybe you saw this?

http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/hemp/iha/iha03211.html

Interview
Dr. Janos Berenji

JIHA: Which varieties are grown?

JB: At the very beginning of hemp production, landraces of Italian origin were grown in Yugoslavia and named after the region of their intensive cultivation like 'Futosùka', 'Titelska', 'Apatinska', 'Vukovarska' (named according to the city of Vukovar well known from the last war), 'Potocùka', 'Osjecùka', 'Beljska', 'Leskovacùka', etc. During the 1960's, certified seed of the Italian cultivars 'Bologna' and 'Carmagnola' was imported and even multiplied to some extent in Yugoslavia. The monoecious French 'Fibrimon' has also been tried with limited success. The only existing domestic cultivar 'Novosadska kon-oplja' was officially registered in 1967, but its seed has never been reproduced to a significant extent until the last few years.

JIHA: How was the Yugoslavian hemp variety developed?

JB: 'Novosadska konoplja' was selected by Prof. Milenko Lazic´, apparently from the same Italian hemp used by Rudolf Fleischmann in Hungary to select the 'F-kender' ('F-hemp'), and by Dr. Iván Bócsa with József Schmidt to improve 'F-kender,' obtaining the Hungarian cultivar 'Kompolti'. The Hungarian cultivars 'Kompolti', and especially 'Uniko-B' and 'Kompolti Hibrid TC', have made a significant contribution to the yield and quality improvement of Yugoslav hemp production during the last 10-15 years. Our long term plan is to supply the Yugoslav hemp industry with domestic certified seed of the cultivar 'Novosadska konopl-ja', which is planned to be replaced by the first domestic hybrids as soon as they are available.

JIHA: Are traditional landraces still cultivated in Yugoslavia?

JB: The traditional landraces in commercial industrial hemp production have been completely replaced by selected cultivars. However, 34 accessions in the Vavilov Research Institute (VIR) collection are designated to have their origin from Yugoslavia, the majority of them probably representing former landraces. That is why my Institute is interested to take part in maintenance of the VIR hemp germplasm collection with special reference to accessions collected in Yugoslavia.

JIHA: When was the Institute of Field and Vegetable Crops in Novi Sad established and when did they begin work with hemp?

JB: The Institute of Field and Vegetable Crops in Novi Sad, the capitol of Vojvodina Province (NE Yugoslavia) was established in 1938. It is presently Serbia's most complex and largest research institute in the field of agriculture, dealing, first of all, with breeding and seed production of all the field and vegetable crop species of economic importance (wheat, maize, sunflower, sugarbeet, soybean, forage crops, vegetables, hemp, hops, medicinal plants, tobac-co, etc.). In order to enhance hemp research and production, the Institute established its Research Station for Hemp, Hops and Sorghums in 1952 in Bacùki Petrovac near Novi Sad. This research station still exists and presently I am serving as the head of it. Due to a decrease of interest in hemp production, the program on hemp was almost completely ceased during the 1960's, but in 1992 it was renewed, and has been active ever since.

A hemp variety registered in one of the countries of the former republic of yugoslavia or a Yugoslavian land race?
Just wondering why you want such a variety...
Because in Yugoslavia, mainly all the Hungarian varieties and the Italian Fibranova have been cultivated. Nowadays it's mainly Serbia which cultivates hemp and it seems as if they were gradually switching to 'Novosadska konoplja' which is a Fleischmann hemp selection and therefore of Italian origin.
Also, the Fleischmann hemp had a strong influence on Hungarian varieties and therefore most of the agricultural hemp in Serbia is closely related to Italian hemp.

On the other hand, I suppose that in this region you have a fair chance of still finding feral hemp (either endemic or more likely fibre hemp gone wild). Best chance here would be to find someone living there ;) .

Rick Hernandez

Hemp Seeds Variety

Hemp Seeds Variety

Hello, I would like to find the best type of seed for the Central American Region, (El Salvador) anyone have any suggestions please inform me,Im in the process of starting cultivars to promote autosustainability, any sugestions...? thank you in advance

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hello, I would like to find the best type of seed for the Central American Region, (El Salvador) anyone have any suggestions please inform me,Im in the process of starting cultivars to promote autosustainability, any sugestions...? thank you in advance
Hello Rick,

You may have great difficulties finding an adequate registered variety because you live at about 13-15°N which means between 11 and 13 hours sunlight the whole year round. Established hemp varieties come from Europe, Russia, and Canada and these would either flower too early or not at all... not to speak about the tropical weather etc.
What could work are varieties from SE Asia, Central Africa, or Malawi (the latter is at 13°S)...
For example Chinese fibre hemp is well known for its very tall growth and good fibre quality! But who knows how to obtain suitable seeds? Maybe search on Baidu LoL?
You could try with drug type varieties from these regions though. Not sure if that were legal, though.

For what exactly are you going to use the hemp? Sustainability can mean a lot of things ;) .

P.S. Thank you Raco

oldchuck

Veteran
Old thread, OO. However several hemp stories hit the news this morning. All saying seed demand, particularly in Colorado and Kentucky, far exceeds seed supply.

We still need some dry weather around here before I can till and plant my rather inferior seed.

A tropical hemp variety could probably be developed over time but there are probably good reasons why hemp has always been a high latitude crop.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Darn, how fast time goes by, haven't realised how long it's been... :)

And there's also a reason why hemp never prospered in South/Central America...

Anyway, good luck with your field!!

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Strains in Yunnan have some magnificent pheno's.

2891092986_0835ed34d7_b.jpg

Keep on growing :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Thanks curandero for that beautiful pic!
Is it a local plant or did you grow it?

BTW, I'd like to share a nice site about hemp in Japan or (sadly) rather about not hemp in Japan: CLICK ME

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello everybody, :tiphat:

Very nice and informative Thread Only Ornamental and everyone else who contributed here.

I would like to say that there is a research facility, altough located in Germany, who provides accesss to mostly diocious Cannabis and/or "Hemp" cultivars from around the world.

The samples come from countrys like Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Northern Korea, Turkey, Argentina, Italy, Syria, Germany or France.

I acquired a few samples a few years ago for myself, espcially those samples coming fron Northern Korea, Georgia in the Caucasus and Argentina are interesting, at least to me.

Northern Korea is interesting because the hemp there is said to be quite potent (maybe 1 % up to 5 % THC max.) altough mostly used for fiber but I've read on the net that there are even some strains who could possibly contain at least a little bit of Korean Gentics like Soma's Big Korean Skunk or Romulan.

Samples from Georgia are maybe scientifically interesting because these are classified as Cannabis sativa ssp. spontanea or Narrow Leaf Hemp Ancestor ( NLHA ) of Hemp in Europe.

The seeds/plants coming from Argentina are also nice. As plants they developed pink pistils, had relative big calyxes with quite a few trichomes on them but still imho this is a cultivar bred for fiber/seeds so I would think that there is or was some Cannbis cultivated as "Hemp" or NLH in the very southern part of South America Like Argentina or Chile , Only Ornamental.

Here is another link about Hemp cultivation in South America
(Chile) : https://druglibrary.org/olsen/hemp/iha/iha03213.html

Last edited: