What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part 3

oldhaole

Veteran
The Annual Polling of the Patients.

The Annual Polling of the Patients.

Typical....Just typical.

A go to the hastle of upgrading my strains. I give my patients a sample of everything, and let them pick what they want me to grow.

So what do they want? What new tasty thing do they want to smoke next year? They all want a copy of last year. OK...We can do that.

I expect this year to be a wet one. The Thai strains handle the water better than anything I crossed, and they yield big, so I can understand their choises. I will probably do the same thing.

I just wonder why I bothered to make these crosses. It looks like all the crosses are cane bound. Also my partner is busting a large wave of pre 1990 strains too. Last year he had a small branch fag, and he wound up with his entire legal crop seeded. So this year he has a burr under his sadle. He's going crazy, and is dragging me along for the ride.

Grey...everyone I know is having problems with the mold this year. Places that never had a problem before...mold. Even inside too huh? And of course we have more rain comming. This is 2006 all over again.

Things are starting to get busy here. The next three months will be madness. Between turning the house over from short to long season, and the side projects my partner wants to do, I have around 20 new crosses to test out too. Things are going to get crazy fast.

I covered the how earlier. Might as well do where now.

I bought my house in the early 90's. My neighbors are all cool. One below me is Legal. The rest grow to feed their heads. I own five acres, and around me on three sides is pasture and cattle. My first job was to surround my land with bougenvellia. If you want to use a plant nobody will get through, try Natal Plum. Then I started trees to block sight lines.

I live on a 10,000 year old lava flow. The soil is rich and volcanic. Some of the best in the world. There's just not a lot of it. I have a small gulch that has deep soil, and can't be seen from outside my property. This is my gold mine. Last year I had seven holes. This year I added three more.

My bottom rose garden has another seven. It also sits under my deck, so those plants would be very hard to rip, and get away with.

I'm still looking for a place for the last four holes. Before I pick a place I need to know it gets the best sun, and can't be seen from anywhere off my land. I also like to put them as close to cover as I can. That's important. If your plants can be seen from off your property....you're asking for trouble.

Anyway I've had twenty years to make this place exactly like I want it. I've been ripped sucessfully off once. They came at night, in a rainstorm. Two weeks later they came back....but no rain. The dogs caught them that time.

When you plant in cover like I do every year I find a lot of roots, heading towards my holes, So today I was digging them up. I don't want my plants to have to share.

Also before you put a hole in, I watch the sun track. If I can get them more sun by cutting back my cover I do. you also have to look ahead, to find the track in the middle of summer. Nothing worse than putting a plant in and the sun track moves it into shade. Always try to look ahead. You would think just picking a spot is easy, but there is always a better spot you discover later you missed.

I promised a couple of pic of Jack earlier. Pics 1-5 are them
Pic 6 is part of the gulch
Pic 7 is part of the bottom holes. See the cover in back...dig up those roots.
Pic 8 is a taste of product. About an oz...by eye...my scale is broken.

Attachments

• jack H.jpg
    jack H.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Jack Girl 2.jpg
    Jack Girl 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Bottom bunch.jpg
    Bottom bunch.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 11
  • New Area Top View.jpg
    New Area Top View.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 17
  • j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 12
  • mrs h.jpg
    mrs h.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • mr h.jpg
    mr h.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 13
  • product 4.jpg
    product 4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
W

wiseone

very nice.
I hear ya on the sun track.
Last year, I had what I thought was a perfect spot. Stuck my plants in and everything was cool for about a month, then I noticed the sun was getting more and more behind some trees shading my plants.( DOH!!! has I did the Homer Simpson faceplant.) I lucked out that about 3 weeks into flower mode the sun started working it's way back out. But, I could have done a lot better if they would have gotten more sun during the veg period.
Oh well, you live and you learn.

oldhaole

Veteran
The Fiftyith Post....what do I win?

The Fiftyith Post....what do I win?

Things are beginning to fall into place. This is my fiftyith post. Took a week to finish. And I didn't have to hit the "bump this if you're high thread....

Well...OK...I hit it once. Other than that I hope I didn't jam up anybody's thread with junk posts.

Clean up time. The bonsai moms are done, the seeds are ripe and have been taken. So that part is done, Last year seeds were the problem...not this year though. I got plenty. Got to try Rodney for the first time in a big joint. First word comes to mind is spicy. Also the WPM went crazy on it the last week. Damn good weed though.

The girls that I have left....with all this rain, there bolting early this year. I could regrow a couple of them, but why bother? I'd rather do it all one time.

We have a pool of cold air above us. Thunder and lightning all night last night. No rain fell until after 3 AM. A lot of this rock got pounded, but not here. Hell of a show though. Some years we don't see any. This was our fifth show this year.

The dirt has been delivered, and I enlarged the gulch. Now it holds eleven. I had a spot all picked out for two more holes, then I went and cut down the cover for them trying to get that last hole in the gulch in....Shit. Back to square one. Gonna have to bust out the chain saw and cut a big branch off the pepper tree. That should really mess up my cover.

I've got three plants left in the gulch, but they should mold soon and I can yank them up in disgust. So I'm still shovel jumping. Almost done there.

Since the gulch can run, I've built a series of retaining walls, behind which sits my holes. If the gulch flows, the water ponds, and drops the eroded soil before being released to the next wall. It looks good. I like all the rockwork. It will look better with a eleven giant plants there.

My last post had an earlier pic of the gulch. This one has the whole damn thing...we will call this the before pics. If this works out right, next time you see the gulch open should be late October.

Pic 1 top 2 holes
Pic 2 two leftovers in the gulch
Pic 3 & 4 gulch...new and improved...looking down
Pic 5 gulch looking up
Pic 6 three holes on the bottom garden
Pic 7 two more bottom garden
Pic 8...a lot of work...the future!

Attachments

• commin.jpg
    commin.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 17
  • commin7.jpg
    commin7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
  • commin 6.jpg
    commin 6.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • commin5.jpg
    commin5.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 12
  • commin4.jpg
    commin4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 13
  • commin3.jpg
    commin3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 12
  • commin2.jpg
    commin2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 13
  • commin1.jpg
    commin1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
K

kannubis

Your gulch looks like a great sandbox to play in. Terraced with retaining walls to keep the gold from washing downstream and all.

Who needs a scale when ya got a good eye? Looks like a nice pile of meds, and that should be enough seed to keep you busy for a while too :)

I'll wish you luck, but its only in addition to the skillset you already have. Best season ever to ya!

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
yeah that looked like about an oz. to me too. lol. the hell with a chair im pitchin a tent in here. thats right. pun intended. anyway, ive got some good feelings about this thread. im excited to have such a promising od grow being shared with us in february! thanks for all of this oldhaole, your demeanor and skill shall not be lost on ic, i can assure you. i almost hate to ask, how much is a pallet of OF running you in Hawaii? im cringing now thinking about it. might i ask why you use OF and promix and blood/bone? instead of just amended promix i mean. kudos to you and yours brother!

Last edited:

oldhaole

Veteran
You Don't Want to Know

You Don't Want to Know

Namless...Big bucks bradda....

I paid $17.99 a bag. They were kind enough to deliver (dump) it in my driveway. Thank you very muckinfuch. Welcome to Hawaii...no out of state checks please.

There's two places that carry it here, and you don't get a break on a pallet. Nothin'. Except two assholes to check out my house while they are dumpin' it....gee I wonder what he is going to do with all this dirt?

So I let my dogs out just to piss them off and to make a point.

We have a lot of time to kill. This grow will take forever...seriously. And got to keep you bast....ohh....readers entertained too.

The FF is only part of what I drop into those holes. I have a recipe, and I will be boring you later with it....right now I'm at the spot where I'm trying to figure where is best to drop the last three holes, and patting myself on the back about how cherry the gulch looks. :dance013:

The reason I use FF is because I have had good results with it. And if it ain't broke...don't fix it. In reality, I could...and will...shove starts straight into the dirt, throw some time release on them, and they do fine.

Thanks all for your questions, comments, and well wishes.

Attachments

• soak # 8.jpg
    soak # 8.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 11
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15

LetsSeeYa

Hey bro i made it in finally, just gotta get some posting done!:wave:

Nice start ya got so far, i bet trying to catch up everyone in here is going to give ya carple tunnel:artist:but then again helps with keeping the card in good standing:laughing:

Hey Weez, keepin em green, im sure:bump:

Well i guess il get the avatar up and try and get my 50, not to mention go back to page one of this thread. Anyone eles jump over here?

LSY

oldhaole

Veteran
LSY....How ya be?

LSY....How ya be?

Glad to see you made the move.

Weez has stopped by and Horseman too. Welcome to a better place fellow refugees....Except weez...he was smart and has been here a while. I guess he saw the writing on the wall sooner than the rest of us.

You were curious on how the gulch we free planted did. Bad news...we marched it last weekend. Found 5 plants up top. Yanked a male. But they were only a foot high, seeded, and in desperate need of water.

The next four miles ...nothing. When we got down to the flat land....we found seventeen. about a mile above town. Unfortunatly so had someone else. The plants were being watered, and males were pulled.

There was an obvious trail up the gulch, So somebody adopted them. The prints were small and plentiful, so we think it was some kids that found them. And they have been hauling some serious water weight up the hill. If they are busting ass keeping them green...they can have them. Besides with kids...one of them will swipe them early.

Not quite what we wanted....but it was a dust in the wind situation. My partner collects old bottles, and when the gulch flows like it did the water will expose new nests...(in the old days people used the gulch as a place to dump rubbish) so he got an old wiskey bottle from the 1870's and a couple of hand blown sake bottles, and he found a couple of nests that need further digging. So we will go back later with tools and probes...there may be more. So it wasn't a total waste of time.

Anyway welcome to the board. If you need a place to throw a few posts on your way to 50, just drop them here. Once you get them, there are a few cool things you can do here that you couldn't do there. The people here have much more experience than there, so instead of handholding, you learn a lot more here.

Too bad about the old board, but that's what happens when the inmates are in charge of the asylum.

Anyway good to see you again. You got a friend here, so if I can help...or you just want to talk story.... drop me a line.

Later

OH

LetsSeeYa

Well you sure were right about that field of green i was hoping you would get. And i read your mind before i got to the fact that one of the kids will rip the others off, spot on bro! But like ya said its not over yet, iv had a seed pop a month later so i gotta think there is going to be a few nice prize plants. Thing is being a mile or two away, the water thing could be an issue. Hell ya got all your work to do so a hike a couple miles away could be a pain in the butt. When you and your p went looking, could ya see that big ass forest of weed in your mind, wow i think id be dreaming of it, lol.

So far im liking it here, but there is a lot going on so my computer speed is slow and must wait for pages to load, sucks. But a ton of info here!

Im smoking the NL#5 and really liking it. But man it smells bad/good, but il take care of that.

Thanks man, il see ya

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part 3

Thats nice to donate some plants to the kids
Good man!
Better those then others though yeah?
Nice weather up near the crater... Well, its cool at least. Wish it was a bit clearer...

Laters

oldhaole

Veteran
Grey....I'm a real sweetheart....If they want to haul water....God bless them.

I sure as hell don't want to do it. My guess is it's a two mile trek. To be young again...

We have been under the clouds since 10 AM. But that's not a bad thing, because I am hauling dirt and filling holes. The clouds are kinda high, but if it wants to rain....now would be a great time to do it.

Anyway....back to weed 101....Call this post Holes from Hell.

First off there is no right or wrong way to do this. If you have a happy ending...that's all that matters. This will be an incredably boring post about the how and why of how I make my holes.

I am happy with 3 ft around and a foot and a half deep. Most of the roots stay in this area, but if you want to go dig to China....don't let me stop you.

Once you have your hole dug....I like to play with fire. I get a nice hardwood blaze going in the hole and forget about it. Let it burn to ash. Then I throw a bucket of Sunshine mix in, a bag of FF Ocean Mix....hold on;

In a previous post I was whining about the price of FF here. Then a friend told me what they pay on the East Coast....sorry....I won't whine about that anymore...I will find new stuff to whine about.

Back to the holes...Also into the holes goes a bucket of home made compost. Then a cup of bone meal, a cup of blood meal and a cup of Ocmocote Time Release Fertilizer 14 14 14.
That should fill up about half the hole.

Before I dig a hole, I scrape the top 3 of so inches of dirt off and put it in the side. That's the good stuff. It goes back in the hole too. Then I mix all of this lightly. I don't mind layers of soil on layers of FF. So I mix lightly. Ta Da.... I fix my drip lines and water the hell out of it. Give it a week to cool down....And I'm shittin' in tall cotton.

Each year I move my holes about a foot over, and leave some of the old hole behind unturned. After a year that leftover dirt will be earthworm city. Don't wreck it. Also look at the sun track. If you plant in a line east to west, you can offset the plants behind the first one a bit to the left, and keep it out of the shade of the first plant.

Did I miss anything...probably. The compost is the most important thing. I make mine hot. I have a lot of dogs... hence a lot of dog shit. And that takes a long time to age.

Also the house plants were started yesterday.

God knows I put this off long enough....Here we go...We're moving now.

Attachments

• hole4.jpg
    hole4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10
  • hole3.jpg
    hole3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 10
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16
  • hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 10
Rats deserting a sinking C dot C

Rats deserting a sinking C dot C

Looks like the OH fan club is lining up.

Good to see ya....Letseeya. Good luck with an avatar here...gotta have 50 under your belt. It can be a little "stuffy" in these parts, but there's a lot of good reading on this site. But for the mean time....you'll just be another "Rodney".

After OH's last post....guess I'll have to quit referring to him as Oldhole....from here on out....you'll always be Newhole to me!

NH.....thanks for the soils recipe....I'll be putting more energy into the outdoor aspect of growing this summer...always good to know what's working for others.

Ya' ***hole,
HMR

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Might as well post up some,..... OH, LSY, HMR,... All happy faces! ;)

This has been a kick ass thread so far,... I'm looking forward to what comes of it! :D
:artist:

woolybear

Veteran
420giveaway
Did I miss anything...probably. The compost is the most important thing. I make mine hot. I have a lot of dogs... hence a lot of dog shit. And that takes a long time to age.

Also the house plants were started yesterday.

God knows I put this off long enough....Here we go...We're moving now.

Cool, dog poo fertilizer. How long does it have to 'age,' are fresh dog turds too hot?

I guess you got to give time for the poo'd doggie kibble to break down?

And finally, does your pack shit in a certain location, that would be convenient, or do you just round up the turds every once in a while and chuck them into a pit?

This is interesting to me as my dog's shit does absolutely nothing to help my situation in general, lol~

Amazing sunset pic too, a little piece of paradise...

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see your grow from the west side of the big island,under 10" rainfall per year here,good luck...ps wish i knew a 1/10 your local growing,learning everything the hard way so far...

oldhaole

Veteran
Sweet Jesus...I'm in Heaven

Sweet Jesus...I'm in Heaven

Horseman....you...my friend...are a pr**k with ears. I can see you are going to ride this horse 'til it drops.... :moon:

But if the shoe was on the other foot I'd happily do the same...

I gotta try to nip this shit in the bud. Good luck with that. Go into Part 1 and pick a hole...Hell, put in right in the gulch in front. Anywhere you want it. We'll give Rodney some respect. You tell me where she wants to sit. Then we can put a spotlight on her and see how she performs.

And I think they will let you call me an asshole. Feel free. But I'm still old and still...caucasian...last time I looked at least. But you can call me anything you want...

Come over here and flip me shit anytime. It will even boost your post count...but you can have a million and you will always be Rodney to me. And yes that was me that said your post was not helpful.
:laughing:

Canni....dude....I'm touched. But you already knew that. You lost your ICM virginity on my thread...as you would say...DAYMN! Not to get too sappy...Thanks.

I'm happy to see you here. Even though you guys know ALL of my material. Sorry. Chances are I will dust it off and use it a few more times.

Case in point...Wooly....thanks for setting me up.

I make compost a year in advance. You can do it in three months if you leave the shit out. My compost in not only shit. All my green waste goes into it. All my leaves, weeds, kitchen waste, coffee cherries and husks, egg shells, coffee grounds you name it, anything but meat, and stuff that will not decompose.

Three of my dogs are old and lazy. They go two steps outside and ....bombs away. Them my wife steps in it and yells at me and I scoop it into a bucket....yea I know...this post has gone to shit...and when it gets full, into the compost pile it goes.

Now to my pet peeve...the other seven head straight to the gulch...and incediously place their turds where I'm going to have to walk. Never in the grass, I guess they don't want it tickling their butt when they go....

Since they conviently plant them all in the same area, scooping them up and into the pile is easy. I don't worry if a lower branch starts to look sick....damn dog pissed on it. Chuck that into the pile too.

With compost you need a big pile, and it needs to get warm. As a rule the nastier it is the longer it takes to break down. And my raw compost looks like nuclear waste. Forget about it for a year, and you got some damn good shit.. pun intended. I only turn the holes over once a year.

Some of the few things I would not use for compost is Christmas berry, guava, eucalyptis (sp), or haole koa. Any of those will put a funky taste in your plant.

If you wanted to do this the easy way you could have a truck delivered, and let it sit an extra three months, but picking up dog shit is so much more fun, and there is so much of it....and it's free!

Hup....I would kill for 10 inches of rain a year. Growers new to the islands will almost always take a season to come up to speed. Do you have mold or WPM problems? Please don't tell me you are on catchment.

We are at 1000 miles further south. Your best bet is to ask somebody that grows in your area. Or ask me. Hell, I've made every mistake in the book...at very least I can tell you what NOT to do.

Last edited:

LetsSeeYa

We got enough to play euchre now! in here

We got enough to play euchre now! in here

Hey Canni, HMR just couldn't miss this show same as myself:dance013:

Some of the few things I would not use for compost is Christmas berry, guava, eucalyptis (sp), or haole koa. Any of those will put a funky taste in your plant.

Pretty funny considering the dog shit gives it that nice smell and sweet taste:laughing:

Thanks for the heads up on the avatar HMR, i sat here looking at the ''my ic'' till my eyes were crossed. So i guess il work on some posts.

Been smokin my NL and sorta freakin. I like it so im not going to crash after a hit or two, but this stuffs like riding on a jets wing.

LSY

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aphids,mealybugs,whiteflies,60%humidity,heavy indicas were a no go,now i'm running through mrn hazes looking for something good,any tricks to keep the girls from flowering woud be great...mahalo

oldhaole

Veteran
Hey! Mc Donalds has Their "Secret Sauce"...

Hey! Mc Donalds has Their "Secret Sauce"...

So do I.

Now the secret's out.

When someone asks "Why does this weed taste's like shit?".... I think "Buddy...if you only knew"

Newsflash....Old Haole's sales plummet....Film at 11....

Now LSY show us what NL looks like...we need some bud porn.

hup...Aphids, whitefly, mealy bugs....A mix of 1 tablespoon of Adams flea and tick killer...dog shampoo...to a qt of water. Hit them once a week until flower. That's that....yea go ahead and snicker...it works. Takes out the little green budworms too. Have you met them yet? don't worry...you will.

The only way to hold back the flowers is to
a) Put them under lights for a couple of hours each day...or
b) Use local Sativa strains, and regrow them.

Don't fight the seasons here. Plant those Indica seeds in late April. They should work out fine then. And chances are good they will also go off early...By October you have everything done.

Replant the holes. Start them in September. Big plants out, starts in...harvest by Xmas. Little 3 ft trees. Starts in by November. Replant... harvest by April. Bigger 5 ft plants, but not tight buds.

Rinse, repeat...Work with the season, you can get 3 crops a year. But your timing has to be perfect.

Right now the days are getting longer, but I don't think we are at 12/12 yet. Everybodys plants are confused. And they won't fatten up either.

Hey kids!....

Here's one of my tips

Do you hate rip offs? The law frowns upon you shooting them. But you have a small yard, and you want a hedge that NOBODY will be able to get through?

Take a look at the first pic. Pretty huh? It smells good too. Meet my friend Natal Plum.

Second pic, shit...it has spikes! Lots of them. As it ages, the spikes throw more spikes, (2 then 4 then 8) then the spikes die, they get brittle and break off deep in a rip's body. I don't know if it would grow on the mainland...but it sure grows good here.

Plant this on your boundary lines....nobody gets through. This stuff is mean. Some idiot hits this stuff....pa'a, stuck ...sell tickets, call your friends, have a party, watch him bleed.

This is almost as good as dogs. If you live in a subdivision...plant this. It makes great hedges, but it will bite you too.

Third pic...what the hell is that? A tree? BFD. Your reaching.
No...that is a jackaranda tree. The first flowers of spring.

Seasons don't change dramaticly here. You look for little signs. The whales are leaving soon, the plovers are in their new colors and are getting ready to dig.

And the jackaranda trees start to bloom. In a month they will be a riot of color. Spring is hairs away. And the big fish come inshore to spawn. Fishing season is almost here too.

Attachments

• natal plum.jpg
    natal plum.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
  • natal plum close up.jpg
    natal plum close up.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 13
  • spring first signs.jpg
    spring first signs.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12