What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

( PLZ HELP ) Did I Kill My Plant ?

420tyme

i topped my plant early , like around the 4th or 5th node ,

now its about 26" in height ,

well i needed to pull the two branches down to the side and do some lst because of height issues ,

i tied one side down

but when i went to tie the other side down it split the stalk about an inch and a half down ,

i squeezed it together and used electrical tape to hold it back together ( thats all i had )

will my plant die from this ?

or will it be ok after it heals ( if it does ) ?

PistilPete

Enjoying the ride
ICMag Donor
Veteran
She'll be fine. You'll be surprised how much abuse an MJ plant can take. They're very resilient.
Good luck with your grow.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there are no guarantees, but i've had entire branches stripped off that recovered via duct tape surgery

420tyme

ok thanks for the good news ,

my heart sunk in my stomach when it split lol

WasntMe

Think of it this way:
If you cut your hand really bad and then wrapped it with electric tape would you die?
Not usually. Yes, you could catch an infection and die but that usually isn't the case.
Would your hand have some deformation?
Most likely your hand wouldn't be perfectly 100% good as new .... depends on many variables. But your life would go on.

good luck.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

you did right by putting tape around it. Basically supercroping, you will notice after a while that there will be a nice lump of stem where it snapped after a while....this will be obvious and you can then take off the tape. It will alow more nutes into that branch and flowers.

Cheers

420tyme

i just put it on 12/12 yesterday ,

will the stalk splitting like that cause it to stress and also maybe slow some growth down ?

I had the same problem with the plants I have now. tied a bunch of branches down and throughout the last 6 months, had a few branches break. anyhow, most of the branches died. Only one or two survived. IMO taping will help it heal better, but will have no effect on if it will survive or not from the immediate damage. It either broke bad enough to kill the branch or didn't. you will know within about 15 minutes if it's not going to make it. It will start to wilt right away. If it does survive, you may have to keep that branch loosely tied up, after the tape comes off, so it doesn't do anymore damage from it's own weight. As far as the production of the branch, I have had no ill effects on my surviving branches. They look good.
If anybody disagrees with me, my apologies, I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I too am working on my first grow. Good luck on your grow.

420tyme

I had the same problem with the plants I have now. tied a bunch of branches down and throughout the last 6 months, had a few branches break. anyhow, most of the branches died. Only one or two survived. IMO taping will help it heal better, but will have no effect on if it will survive or not from the immediate damage. It either broke bad enough to kill the branch or didn't. you will know within about 15 minutes if it's not going to make it. It will start to wilt right away. If it does survive, you may have to keep that branch loosely tied up, after the tape comes off, so it doesn't do anymore damage from it's own weight. As far as the production of the branch, I have had no ill effects on my surviving branches. They look good.
If anybody disagrees with me, my apologies, I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I too am working on my first grow. Good luck on your grow.

it wasn't any particular branch ,

it was the main stalk that split where it got topped when it was smaller ,

think of the letter ( Y )

the Y is split in the center like a wish bone ,

now it has been a few hours since it has happened

and the plant don't seem to be wilting or anything

almost like nothing ever happened ,

will it wilt on the dark cycle ?

or since it hasn't yet

is it probable that its gonna be just fine ?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Unless you're doing sativas which can literally be tied in knots with ease, do NOT bend, crush and fold instead.

Crush stem between thumb and forefinger, rotate grip, crush again, fold at 90º. If it tries to split horizontally, just tie her back together and try again higher or lower. Vertical splits, just tie them closed. I'd avoid actual tape. A twist tie, pipe cleaner, split open straw or other easily removed item will do.

Super crop will cause increased growth.

Gardeners velcro tape works great for this type of thing and allows proper air flow
I've snapped all kinds of plants and had the wind crack off branches
Many of them do better for it
Cannabis plants are extremely hardly and most often bounce back just fine

420tyme

its an indica strain i believe ,

so far she is still ok ,

i just hope i dont get up in the mourning and its all drooped over

How'd she come out this morning??? I'm sure she'll be fine if she hasn't shown wilting by now. just give her a kiss and tell her you're sorry,lol