What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pushing Limits- #1 The medical SOG(ish) Room

pushlimits

Work2much- Stick around Buddy, Just for you, I'll throw a few coco pots in my next grow.
wink.gif
How could I resist such a sincere plea to try their methods! LOL! You coco guys win. I'll try a few. Who knows, I might be a coco guy one day too!!!

Yourcorpse- Well, short answer is: efficiency. To be honest, there was a time when you couldn't pay me to put down my beloved 1000 Watters. But that day has past. I love 600watters more and more as my grow style evolves; I used to grow bigger plants, but then I changed to a "canopy man" were all my energy is dedicated to the top third only. The quality of my finished product is better, and more uniform as a result. (only the best for my patients)

The quality to quantity ratio is much higher with 600s. Sure I yield less overall, but I get many more "big/dense" buds. Which to me, is much more valuable.

Without the need for more light penetration, anything brighter then 600, is just a waste of electricity (not to mention canopy width) in my opinion.

more higher quality bud+ more canopy space+ less electricity = more efficiency. (for my grow technique at least)

SilkyJhonson- Thanks for the tip Buddy. I'm just experimenting right now. There's many reasons why the setup you suggested wouldn't work for me personally. -Preference mostly- but also price, temp (maybe not with water-cooled), gas lines, water lines, floor space, ceiling height, fuzzy logic compatibility, cost to benefit ratio, looks, and all this even when I'm not sure I want to keep doing it. I like to start small, and only invest if I know I'll always use it; like an environmental controller, I can always use that.

You'll like my setup bro; it's small, (relatively)cheap , upgradeable, productive, and it won't screw up my environment. Pros and cons for everyone I guess. Great products you mention though.

Peace and thanks for the responses everyone. I enjoy all the questions, comments, opinions and encouragement form this wonderful community.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here in cali we have prop 19 comming and the limit for space is 5x5 this setup would be a perfect axmple of twhat could be done under those dimensions. I know this is a 5x6 this could be easy retrofited to a 5x5. I love this room nice and neet all the nessacery components. Table hase been max to fit thos pots nice and snug. Great job

pushlimits

Thanks Hammerhead, it's an honor coming from such a well respected member such as yourself. If prop-19 goes by square footage this garden will work- it's 4x6 actually so it's 24 square foot, just enough if 25 square foot is the limit.

mdk ktm

damn man this is a really nice grow! What kind of engineer are you? And im pumped to see you rock the ebb and grow. I think it will easily out yield the pro-mix. Im pulling up a chair... thanks for taking the time to share.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes and this is a shinning example what can be done with that space . Keep pushing the limits my friend

pushlimits

Mdk ktm- I'd rather not say for security reasons. I have too much to risk. Although, there are more engineers per capa in MI then any other state (Thanks to the auto industry- or should I say, EX- auto industry), and I'm a 100% legal grower, but you can never be too careful.

If you are dieing to know PM me.

Hammerhead, Thanks again. maybe, when (hopefully) it passes, I could put that in my signature link- "Prop-19 grower?: check out this grow for some ideas."

Thanks for joining everyone!

C

Carl Carlson

Wow, nice grow room dude.

Pro-mix with big perlite for lot's of drainage 30-40% and a dash of dolomite lime (no differences without it really)
Is that all your medium is made of up? Love the simplicity.

The difference, if you switched the Pro-mix out with coir or even a 50/50 split, is that coir is much more easily wettable. You know how peat moss will, for lack of a better word, 'reflect' water when it's dry? Coir is the opposite, it's like a sponge.

pushlimits

Yep, that's it, and I rarely use lime anymore either.

I used to do complex soil mixes when I was younger. I eventually realized that the creators of horticulture products (soil, nutrients, Ect.) do a lot more research and development then I do.

Aside from that, a simple equation still remains true for everything I do:

Simple = Superior.

One would be hard pressed to find a situation were this is not true.

You coco lovers are very tenacious. There must be something good about it!

Thanks Carl you are a credit to this site, always have good tips to share!

Thanks everyone!

pushlimits

Total, the room is 7.5' x 9.75'

There are 24- square, 3 gallon pots. each container has a diameter of about 10". Each container occupies roughly one square foot of canopy space

The table is 4'x6' and the canopy space occupies 4' x 6'

Because the plants are so crammed in there, it forces them to grow upwards to compete for light. Plants are smart and will adapt to their environment. if left on their own, plants will sprawl. But, if forced into cramped conditions, plants grow just as well, as long as you have good airflow. Ultimately increasing; yield, light efficiency, ease of maintenance and uniformity.

In my experience, any plant that is vegged for less then 3-4 weeks, will easily fit into one square foot of space if all are raised close together.

My Rule of thumb for higher density planting.
SOG-4 per square foot= too risky (plant #'s),
Trees-1 per 4 square feet = too inefficient (on many levels).

1 plant = 1 square foot

Simple, cheap, easy, productive, clean, and most importantly: within the law.

Hope this clarifies for you Buddy.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Yeah Push, I appreciate the dimensions. Beautiful room for sure. How do you deal with getting light to the lower branches? Do you top or LST and how long do you veg?

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Nice garden, push. Digging the continued explorations, never settling for just one method.

pushlimits

Well Virgin, Its all depends really. I documented how I'm doing this grow earlier in the thread. It's a modified LST, with lower growth trimming. I have absolutely no concern for lower growth anymore. it's crappy meds for my patients and I. Theirs no point in keeping it, I cut it all away.

Veg time, good question-

I veg as long as I feel nessecary. but a general rule of thumb for me is:
Sativa Dom- 6"-10" tall with about 2/3 of the canopy occupied.
Indica Dom- 8"-14" tall with about 3/4 of the canopy occupied.
This takes anywhere from 1-4 weeks. No more no less.

Rasputin- Thanks for the compliment. At this rate, I'll find a grow method that works perfectly for me in about 10 years. Good thing is, I get closer every day.

Best thing is, their is a community such as IC that allows everyone to share their ideas and experiences. I learn something form everyone here. Hopefully, I teach somethings as well.

Wouldn't be much of a hobby or learning experience if someone did the same thing over and over again.

Let's Push the limits in our yields and our achievements! ;)

poofaloof

:tiphat: Hey Push! My computer took a dump on me so I haven't been able to check out your progress, looks fantastic man great job. It's nice to see a lot of activity in this thread too.

And I agree, "Simple = Superior!" Words to live by.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
jesus christ!!!!
you apperantly have WAY WAaaayyyy too much time on your hands....

but fuck, atleast you can say you have by far, THE CLEANEST, proper polished fucking slick ass grow icmag has ever seen.

BTW- the table with the sick casters and stoper... yea.... its DOPE!!!

pushlimits

DigitalHippy- You're right, I have too way much time on my hands. I just got a new office job and it's driving me fucking crazy. I go from working on my feet in the field, to a sitting on my ass at a desk: and my brain/body is rotting from inactivity.

Growing bud is a perfect hobby; it helps a family member, it pays for itself, gives me something to do/ think about with my new "promotion", and gives me a good stash. What's your excuse? - Just kidding bro. ;)

seriously though, thank you! Your grows are very clean too, I'd say almost better then mine. Don't cut yourself short, I've read through some of your handy work here at IC! You are a credit to this site.

That drainage tube running down your Drip table: was genius- I dig it.

pushlimits

Week-5 day 2

Week-5 day 2

This is the second day of week 5. They are getting dank now, and needless to say I'm having a difficult time controlling the smell: time for a new carbon filter.

I finally got the humidity under control with the dehumidifier. I think it also helped with the fungus gnats, because I haven't seen them in a while.

Irrigation water: PH 5.8-6.3, feeding with an E.C. of 1.2-1.6, This is the absolute highest the E.C. will get, after week 5 E.C. will drop incrementally until flush. (around week 7).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php