What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I'm running a few to go outside late May and hoping they will be 3-4 footers by then. They are under 18/6 light. Are they going to flower on me early? Do I have to keep a flood light/timer on them at night to avoid that? Last frost date here is May 10th.

Even if they do pop some flowers wont they slip back into veg as the days get longer?

They shouldnt. I would even drop them to 16/8 for the last week before putting them outside.
They wont flower early. I dont think you'll need a floodlight.
Ive never had a problem with pre-flowering plants when I put them out on May 1st and Im in Massachussetts.

I have all my outdoor monsters about 2 months old when they go out..... maybe 3 feet tall and bushy.
GG#4 doesnt get topped at all though, since it naturally grows in an egg shape on its own.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I'm running a few to go outside late May and hoping they will be 3-4 footers by then. They are under 18/6 light. Are they going to flower on me early? Do I have to keep a flood light/timer on them at night to avoid that? Last frost date here is May 10th.

Even if they do pop some flowers wont they slip back into veg as the days get longer?

Supplemental lighting is your friend.

EastFortRock

Next time I buy soil. (Southern Oregon) I'm going to to get it from "The Worm Farm." ( I wanted to plug it because I know a guy that works there,he said half the people that come in mention cannabis). I going to have a Regular garden and a couple outdoor cannabis plants .

cheezhead

Still undecided on in ground or smart pots. Pros and cons to each. Probably will do both this year and figure out what's best for my garden. Some of my 800 gal pots I plan on cutting off the sides and dumping 2 yards of new soil to make mounds. My river garden sits on tailings and I think the drainage is pretty good. I have gophers but can't murder them without guilt..my nieghbor has 4 kitty's that keep them in check though. That I can live with. Meanwhile I'm enjoying these off season therapy sessions and getting stoked for this year! [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63005&pictureid=1570438&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

Aloha Pono! Good to see your hard work pays off!! That's a trick photo ya took of the water fall.

I hear what your saying about the soil vs. pots...That soil on the Applegater is puuuurrrty sexy! My buddy uses it. Hard to beat that sandy loam that ya have! The freakin' pocket gophers are a dam nuisance around these parts aren't they? More like small beavers at times! Don't land too soon on your trip back. Cheers!:)

It is incredibly hard to beat sandy loam. I think we've gotten this idea that raised pots are better because the people who set that standard were NorCal growers growing on garbage red clay soil. If I had to deal with Nevada or Butte county soil, I too would be in a raised bed.

Sluicebox

Still undecided on in ground or smart pots. Pros and cons to each. Probably will do both this year and figure out what's best for my garden. Some of my 800 gal pots I plan on cutting off the sides and dumping 2 yards of new soil to make mounds. My river garden sits on tailings and I think the drainage is pretty good. I have gophers but can't murder them without guilt..my nieghbor has 4 kitty's that keep them in check though. That I can live with. Meanwhile I'm enjoying these off season therapy sessions and getting stoked for this year! [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63005&pictureid=1570438&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Hey if you're on tailings I guarantee there is a bunch of black sand in the ground. It is full of Iron and other goodies. Gardeners love the black sand that I generate from my small mine and put it on their Roses and such. I'm sure you have great drainage in your soil. If I were you I'd learn how to pan those gopher holes as they are bringing gold up to the surface when digging their dens. May really help to offset your soil costs for the season. Maybe try your smart pots half in ground and half out with bottoms cut out and chicken wire or something for the furries. I'm jealous.

mapinguari

Veteran
There is a lot of variation in foothill soil. That clay you call "garbage" may be low in organic matter, but it's often young volcanic material with a good mineral profile, good drainage, and excellent CEC. Mixed with good compost and worked a bit, it is very far from garbage. Most growers don't use it because they are afraid it won't produce viable results; that's not true.

TriSierra

There is a lot of variation in foothill soil. That clay you call "garbage" may be low in organic matter, but it's often young volcanic material with a good mineral profile, good drainage, and excellent CEC. Mixed with good compost and worked a bit, it is very far from garbage. Most growers don't use it because they are afraid it won't produce viable results; that's not true.

Yes to this. The clay is your friend, treat it as such.

Y'all can sing its praises all you want. I've done real tilling on loam, and real tilling on clay. You can keep the clay, even with the exponentially higher CEC.

mapinguari

Veteran
Not measuring dicks here.

The point isn't which soil is better in the abstract, the point is learning how to make good use of the natural soil in your area.

That's an important lesson many cannabis farmers could stand to learn.

FoothillFarming

I have both at my property. Several soil-less mixes, and natural soil I have been working for 2 years. My natural soil is clay. I added compost/aeration/amendments and it is performing quite well. The natural soil has the lowest TEC, and organic matter %, but performs quite well.

Just because native soil has clay, doesn't mean it will have a higher TEC than a proper constructed soil-less mix. I have 6 different soil/soil-less mixes on my property, and the natural soil with clay has the lowest TEC and organic matter in the bunch.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I dont see any pic Mr. Beanz.
Did you delete it for security reasons or somethin ?
This thread has been inactive for awhile.......whats up guys?
I figured you all would be jamming this thread with new soil recipes and cost per yard, and dates, smart pot sizes, strain choices, flowering times, yield dates, gophers, wind, and yadda-yadda.
Is there a new outdoor thread or something that Im missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.