What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

preventing early spring flowering with clones

ganjajudge said:
Hi, I am about to start my seeds indoors to prepare them for outdoors in new england and this thread intrigued me. I would like to possibly try both diff. light cycles on 2 diff. batches of plants with the intentions of getting a smaller, quicker harvest at the end of june and a larger, longer harvest at the beginning of oct.... so what i would do is 4 weeks under 24/0 then transplant half outside, then gradually switch to 16/8 during the next week or two then put those plants outside... first batch would start flowering and be done 60 days later at the end of june and the second batch wouldnt flower until aug.............................................................................................................im not sure tho. do you guys think this would work? will it only preflower for a month and reveg when it hits 15 hours of light at the end of may? is this unanswerable because its strain dependent? if so, what strains will continue blooming and finish under 14.5-16.5 hours of light?
seeds dont like 24/0 photoperiod diet, in nature they natural sprout and develope roots under 15/9.
the only way to harvest under the summer solstice of june is with auto triggering gentiks, i.e. mighty-might or any other ruderalis crosses
most strains of today will gladly receive extra light in their last (respective) 2 weeks ...

That's it !!!

That's it !!!

I've taken clones from my 18/6 moms and put them under 15/9 !!! lets wait and see what they do ... well ... I guess I'm the only one seeing my garden, but "ga-head" try it out ... c'mon baby :jump:

Fast_Pine

15/9 is the key..

15/9 is the key..

Cannabinofil said:
I've taken clones from my 18/6 moms and put them under 15/9 !!! lets wait and see what they do ... well ... I guess I'm the only one seeing my garden, but "ga-head" try it out ... c'mon baby :jump:
Hey cannabin...

I recently completed a test. Put some clones that I traded with a friend(24/0) in my (15/9) room. This was like 3-4 weeks ago...Yesterday I put them in my flowering room, beacuse they had started to bloom so bad.

Another update on my photoperiod testing....After running my 15/9 room for over a month now, I can see that heavy Co2 enrichment keeps the seedlings growing quite vigorously..Almost as fast as 24/0..

The Co2 enrichment is giong to be key for me when it comes to taking the plants outside(hardening)..Heavy enrichment has made the plant stronger, and able to deal with very intense light(strengthens cells quite a bit)....Any one who runs Co2 will tell you that you can get the lights alot closer to the canopy..The leaves are able to handle it very well. If the transplants have well established rootsystem, and are coming from a C02 enriched room, hardening off to the intense sun is unnessary. Even for me, at 7-10,000 feet.

More info on the 15/9 thang.....
I have 2 strains that hahe been in my 15/9 room from seed, They are super photosensitive. I have experience with these two, and can say for sure that they will not flower under 24/0. Well, recently ive noticed these two have select phenos, that are blooming under the 15/9. Im guessing that those would be the ones ready by August, if they were planted outside from the start. I cant really tell if they are autoflowering pheno's or if they are just really sensitive. Either way, That experiment showed me that the "early finnishing" strains may trigger , indoor or out.
........................................................................................................

Say, anyone else think this thread should be stickied?:confused:

Gurantee if it is, it will save people ALOT of wasted time...

G

Guyute54

Cannabinofil said:
Just to anser your question about aspirin spraying, no it will not prevent any spores from taking(mold, likely talking of PM), but it will produce male flowers on a sensemilla plant ...

I have never seen a male flower ever after spraying my plants with asprin water. And I have done it many many times. I have also seen many other growers do the same without anyone saying they have experinced male flowers. And it definatley gets rid of PM.

I think Butte touched on maybee one of the best solutions for controlling early flowering. Maybee gradually working your lighting scheduale up to the suns rise and fall scheduale. It's been working for mother nature for years.

I also want to point out that different Latitudes have different light schedules. So if someone uses a 15/9 light scheduale and puts there plants out May 15 and they live in Canada and have good results. That doesent mean someone that lives in southern U.S. will have the same luck. Check your sunrise and sun set times. http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

Many growers close to the equator need to trick the plants if they want larger yeilds as there light scheduale is pretty close to 12/12 all year long. They combat that buy using lights. Even regular incodecent lights provide enough light for the plants to keep vegging. This makes me think if at all possible little sollar lights might be able to be used for the early months of growing. There water proof and don't give of a huge amount of light to catch much attention.

silverback said:
It's my view that often, growers create difficulties for themselves by starting plants far too early indoors. Its often used to get larger plants but the better approach there would be to get a strain the grows larger or plant more plants, but trying to veg plants indoors for months before planting them outdoors is difficult for even the most seasoned grower growing a strain they know well. There are only 2 legitimate reasons to start so early in my opinion. 1. To get mothers for your clones. 2. To pregrow plants that you intend to flower as soon as they hit the door.

I also believe the clones to be more sensitive comming from a mother that is older. I have a buddy that has had a mother for 4 years and the clones will flower at the drop of a hat..

I start my plants earlier indoors mostly becasue with more size they have a better survival rate. The deer seem to love small seddlings but after they have some size to them I notice they tend to leave them alone. Once in awhile I'll have a few tops eaten off but thats about it.

Vol Funk said:
growing from seeds doesn't matter?

Yes it does. Seed plants will start flowering also if put outside too early. Clones just seem to be more sensitive.

Last edited:

NickMode

i just checked my local weather site and the sunrise to sunset times are 13.5 hours

so i think ill veg under 14/10

Fast_Pine said:
Hey cannabin...

I recently completed a test. Put some clones that I traded with a friend(24/0) in my (15/9) room. This was like 3-4 weeks ago...Yesterday I put them in my flowering room, beacuse they had started to bloom so bad.

Another update on my photoperiod testing....After running my 15/9 room for over a month now, I can see that heavy Co2 enrichment keeps the seedlings growing quite vigorously..Almost as fast as 24/0..

The Co2 enrichment is giong to be key for me when it comes to taking the plants outside(hardening)..Heavy enrichment has made the plant stronger, and able to deal with very intense light(strengthens cells quite a bit)....Any one who runs Co2 will tell you that you can get the lights alot closer to the canopy..The leaves are able to handle it very well. If the transplants have well established rootsystem, and are coming from a C02 enriched room, hardening off to the intense sun is unnessary. Even for me, at 7-10,000 feet.

More info on the 15/9 thang.....
I have 2 strains that hahe been in my 15/9 room from seed, They are super photosensitive. I have experience with these two, and can say for sure that they will not flower under 24/0. Well, recently ive noticed these two have select phenos, that are blooming under the 15/9. Im guessing that those would be the ones ready by August, if they were planted outside from the start. I cant really tell if they are autoflowering pheno's or if they are just really sensitive. Either way, That experiment showed me that the "early finnishing" strains may trigger , indoor or out.
........................................................................................................

Say, anyone else think this thread should be stickied?:confused:

Gurantee if it is, it will save people ALOT of wasted time...

Thank you for a dedicated experiment Fast_Pine ! a 15/9 "room"<---> very nice !!! I only did my clone trays with only indoor photo sensitive genes too ... they took an extra 2 weeks to root and have very short internods, no preflower yet though, and no results as helpfull as your 15/9 room with seedlings, clones, plants of diferent stages and phenotypes ... much apreciated on my behalf, your helping tremendously ...

Happy gardening cousin

Just a theory

Just a theory

Okay this year i was planning on taking some of my mothers outside to make some room in the closet. My plan was to take them out and take clones from them when they got bigger. My plan was to actually take the cuttings and put them in rapid rooters right there on the spot and put them in a humidity dome outside in the shade. I would keep an eye on them until well rooted and them harden them off quickly. Would this solve the issue of flowering and revegging. With the initial growth spirt of being put out you could get tons of clones. If anyone has any expirience with this please comment.

lasko

Nice tread
Today i put out some clones of mostly indica hibrids. Mothers & clones were under 20/4 regime, and clones hit the door at the moment when first roots apear. It is just a test as day is 14h at the moment and we will see if they start flowering. Ther rest of clones will be out at the end of may, in my experience they wont start flowering (day cca 15,5 h)

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Man! I've been preaching about this for years, good to see a thread stickied about the subject.

I kind of attacked a related subject in the sticky thread about Photoperiod and latitude, etc.

Good thread!

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
this is very important to have your plants ready for the light regiment they will be getting outdoors. an early flower can cost you months of wasted veg time and frustration.

id say 16/8 after roots like dignan said is a pretty safe bet.

Fast_Pine

Yo dime...I agree!,,Exactly why I petitioned to have this made a sticky..

Hey dig's..

Say, Why 16/8?....If that isnt the natural light cycle on transplant day, typicaly 15/9 is closer to the native photoperiod(late May, early June)...

Why add the extra hour:confused:...

If yer strains are sensitive enough, that extra hour will trigger them to bloom once they go outside, you might as well have used 24/0...

The key is to match the natural light cycle to the day of transplant..Which is why 18/6 doesent work..

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Hey FP! Haven't run into you much recently. Hope all is well.

In my experience, I can use either 16/8 or 15/9 with no difference at all, except for those differences caused by extremely early strains. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I match my indoor photoperiod to the outdoor actual daylight hours, which are Sunrise/Sunset +/- 60-90 minutes. That's an old school outdoor growers' rule of thumb... and notice that it accounts for a "fudge factor" of one hour.

Note that I don't do extremely early strains, for the most part, so my advice is re: normal cannabis strains. Might try one or two here and there, but I have yet to come across a strain finished by mid-Sept that compares to strains that finish in October in yield or potency (but esp. yield). So I have to admit to not having much experience with the autos and semi-autos.

Gotta run

Dig

The Iceman

Great info everyone but we still dont have a definitive answer. I think we all will be extremely more informed after this outdoor season and we can see what worked and what didnt with different strains. I hope everyone documents their experiences. Other then mold, deer, rippers, ect early flowering is the outdoor growers worst enemy. I'm gonna try the 15/9 thing myself as so far it seems the best plan.

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
A few of us have been matching photoperiod to actual daylight hours for a few years now and for me the answer is definitive, actually. Sunrise/Sunset times... subtract 60 minutes from the sunrise time and add 60 to the sunset to get actual daylight hours on the date you plan to put them out... match those hours indoors from seed.

Dignan

G

YES!!!

Dignan has provided us with the key to this door.. I too attempt to match or fit into actual daylight levels and the results are clear - never any flowers, hermies , growth delays or any other problems. The weight of Dignan's recommendation should be trippled when femmed seeds are used. Stability and a consistent continueum of daylength = stable, reproductively healthy plants.

Dignan, Im curious as to your reasoning and the basis for subtracting 60 minutes from the top and bottom. I use the principle of " how much light will effect the plant" philosophy, but I only deduct 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening. Reasoning: A full moon is bright enough to cast a decent shadow but doesnt affect the plants reproductive stability. How much more light than a full moon puts out, does it take to affect the plant in that way? I use that baseline for determining how much dawn or twilight is required before the plants respond to the light. I believe that to be about 15. When the sun has been up over the horizon for 15 min, or 15 minutes before dark is when the light reaches that point of just exceeding the light of a full moon. This is all conjecture however and I could be wrong , how did you arrive at your time? So few take this approach so Im interested in your thoughts.

sb

Last edited:

Fast_Pine

Dignan said:
A few of us have been matching photoperiod to actual daylight hours for a few years now and for me the answer is definitive
Yep...If any one wants see this in action(15/9), click the link in my signature. Its my grow journal where I did clones put out early June, on 15/9, with some pretty photosensitive genetics. Everything made a smooth transition into the native light cycle, and continued to veg out....

Note: To any of you who have never had this problem, and are wondering what the hell were talking about,,,,,,Chances are good yer working with strains that are a little more sativa dominant, and a little less photo sensitive.
Every sativa dominant clone ive ever transplanted out on 24/0 never Got confused, they would allways take off and be huge monsters...So remember,,,,not every clone variety is gonna prematurely start blooming after the transplant...

Fast_Pine

NickMode said:
i just checked my local weather site and the sunrise to sunset times are 13.5 hours

so i think ill veg under 14/10
U sure?...Thirteen an a half hours of daylight on transplant day:confused:......I think yer planting a lil bit too early..

I always plant after May 20th, because the days have gotten long enough to sustain a natural veg...If you plant too early(with clones, doesent apply to seeds), even with yer clones on 15/9, they could still prematurely bloom..

IMHO, the key too finding the right light cycle to keep yer mothers on, is to get on the internet an look up the sun rise and sun set times for yer exact area for the day you are gonna be transplanting...Set yer timer for that ..Round here its something like 6am to 8:30pm...On May, 20th..

Maby do like silverback and dig's,allow for 15 extra minutes of twilight:confused:...

Say, dig's..

Youve known about this for a wile now?......Did ya use 15/9 on yer K dragons and such last year?......

Latest posts

Latest posts