What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tissue Culture : Micropropagation

"You have to NEVER let the Tissue be EVEN FLASHED FOR 1,000,000TH OF A SECOND TO ANY uva/uvb OR THEY ARE INSTANTLY DEAD.
They are propogated under Cool White Fluoro, and then transitioned over to a Mix of Coll/Warm."

fluors have fair amount of uv?

clearheaded

think he probably heard they need to be hardened off before planting under sun or more then floro power.

I dont see greenhouses setting up TC labs as cannabis is so easily propogated by cutting it really wouldnt save time or space. callus tissue first needs to grow leaves and stem which takes several weeks if not longer then needs to be transfered to gorw roots for week or 2 at which point it needs to be slowly aclimatized or hardened off before planting and will be size of week or 2 old seedling ie few inches tall. while for orchids or strawberries (that need to grow runners to be multiplied) it does make sense I dunno if its economically viable for day to day greenhouse use. you can take cuttings of cuttings in that time with marginally more room and power(taking into account autoclaving energy etc). I dont get that 5-7 years they say as its exponential even starting with 1 large plant

great to clean up plants or store plants as sam mentioned, or for sending var to many greenhouses from one breeder nursery type scenario. but other then that and research I dont seeing it becoming the standard. but if you are a nursery selling plants and want to have thousands of elite var in storage incase someone wants to order 500 mother clones it would be def very useful.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Maybe clones guaranteed free of problems will become more popular in places. Anyone with mycology gear in the cupboard can spend another $100 and take this out for a spin.

xet

Proper Sterilization should be one of the first orders of business for proper TC.

I saw the cloudy jar and aluminum foil ..

clearheaded

alum foil is often used in autoclavs pressure cookers as it withstands heat and keeps condensation from entering your jars and keeping a sterile area if change in temp causes any suction as it cools.

If you have ever been in labs you often see aluminum foil on half million dollar machines for insulation.

agar ms salts hormones create foggy look sometimes when its thick, thin layers in petri dishes perhaps are what u have seen and look clearer? charcoal is added and it is BLACK in that case. Agar, if contamed, will grow on surface before inside and def wont grow plantlets.

xet

alum foil is often used in autoclavs pressure cookers as it withstands heat and keeps condensation from entering your jars and keeping a sterile area if change in temp causes any suction as it cools.

If you have ever been in labs you often see aluminum foil on half million dollar machines for insulation.

agar ms salts hormones create foggy look sometimes when its thick, thin layers in petri dishes perhaps are what u have seen and look clearer? charcoal is added and it is BLACK in that case. Agar, if contamed, will grow on surface before inside and def wont grow plantlets.

After working in a surgical sterile processing unit with commercial autoclaves cooking thousands of instruments a day I can attest we never used aluminum foil or jars.

What a joke.:laughing:

Oh and also let's not get started on the "if you have ever been in a lab.. we don't wear gloves and use duct tape to hold the aluminum foil down.." Come on, seriously? Why defend BS?

Last edited:

ambertrichome

Veteran
When I did it back in 95, with a kit from Worms Way, an Aquarium/home made box to work in ect. No carpet, no curtains in the bathroom, completely sterilized with Lysol, and also spraying the air to keep down dust.
You shouldn't have any kind of cloth, carpet, curtain type materials within 500 miles of the operation. That shit = dust/mites/mold. All 3. All surfaces completely wiped down. I put Sarah Wrap all over myself, and sprayed it down with Lysol. DRIPPING ect, and every step you were constantly spraying down with Lysol.( Don't forget to sterilize the sprayer. ) If you blinked your eyes, you sprayed… joking of course, but its all about sterile, nothing floating in the air, using an enclosed box ect, sterilized, if 1 does use use aluminum foil, Im sure its sterile. I wrapped myself in Saran Wrap , and sterilized it before wrapping, and after.

If ANYTHING, more simple than the plant tissue gets in the Agar/Medium. Its done.

Also the UV coming out of a Fluro, is nothing, as the glass takes out any UV that may be produced.

You have to have really, really good glass for UVA/UVB Bulbs.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
somewhere here there was a TC thread with lots of docs/pdf and stuff uploaded also by me :)

CFP65

how fragile are these smalll tubes of tissueculture to temperature swings and lightloss for longer periods, is it the same as when mailing clones or are they more fagile

clearheaded

how fragile are these smalll tubes of tissueculture to temperature swings and lightloss for longer periods, is it the same as when mailing clones or are they more fagile

you likely would receive as a rooting plantlet, which will be fine as far as light can always add small watch battery and led. they are ran on hormones and sugars and salts so use that more then producing it own energy.

they are pretty fragile once out of the tube and need to be kept humid and slowly introduced to unfiltered light as leaves are paper thin and used to basically a womb if you will. perhaps would ship at normal clone size already hardened off which of course takes extra care time and space which sort of defeats the purpose of microcultures small and easy to ship format.

guys in colorado tried this already and hasnt worked out. but is great for archiving cultivars. in my limited experience with tissue culture its not as fast as taking a clone rooting it and taking clones of those clones. renews and cleans old clones tho so def has a place. I think there will be a huge hord of genetics by LPs not wanting to share there proprietery var.

blackone

Veteran
I have seen references to tissue culture ever since I started coming here. 10 years ago there was a lot of activity on the subject but then it kinda died down. What I remember reading in articles was that cannabis was significantly more difficult to work with than strawberries.
I don't think we will be seeing a lot of tissue culture happening on the hobbyist level, although whereever weed is legalized I wouldn't be surprised to see clones from tissue culture being offered - perhaps on demand.
What is the timeframe from starting a tissue culture to a clone in growing media (rockwool, soil etc)?

clearheaded

45 days ish ruff estimate if starting from calus then few weeks to grow a leaf/stem few more to get roots and u have a 2 inch plantlet that needs to be hardened off for 5 days. so couple months i guess. email bubblemans buddies company and see what they say and get back to us.

wish them all the luck but other then storage of genetics and maybe clean up a cut or 2 cant see it being economical as normal cuts are so easy cheap and much larger then microculture technics.

One glaring issue which hasnt been brought up yet is the chemicals used 1 100% PGR loaded, plant steroids to allow speedy growth, also toxic antibiotic antifungals used to keep everything clean. cant imagine it passing the tests. hope that wasnt a huge oversite!! also dont want them petitioning/lobbing HC to allow the "normal" agriculture chemicals!!!

they have been purchased by largish LP supreme so bet they will spend the cash to allow the PGRs which is unfortunate. the issue arrises as health canada may have hard time admitting these PGRs are harmful as perhaps allowed in strawberry plants. but i think they have realized inhalation is different then edible(even when edible is "bad"). guess time will tell and PGRs are a huge no no in legal states so imagine we will adobt such a standard. anyhoo love to hear the reply about PGRs from the company.. tuff crowd to say oh dont worry small quantitys.....

Last edited:

clearheaded

Slowly getting up in running thinking the issue I'm gonna run into is the agar.

agar is no issue and MS salts are relatively cheap. google MS salts will help u get a handle on what is required.
as someone said bill graham is a HUGE resource and will help you out for a home kit ;)

clearheaded

bubbleman got the DNA boys in, first to market i guess is neat? wise investment sees anyone can do it inexpensively.

but again id really love to hear how they produce plants that can pass for PGR and cancer causing antifungals antibacterials used. one of those things thats different from edible world and cannabis..

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Maybe clones guaranteed free of problems will become more popular in places. Anyone with mycology gear in the cupboard can spend another $100 and take this out for a spin.
I would think a glove box or laminar flow hood would make it easy. Would like to know how to mix up the agar. Heard it has nutrients and hormones. Would think by now someone would sell pre-made petri dishes with right mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts