What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Plan

New Plan

Now that the problem has been solved, I am going to move these girls outdoors and transplant in coco

I just dropped 4 more TRIPLEBERRY seeds in RO water with a few grains of Megacrop + a few grains of NPK Raw Kelp

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you get some of those hho like emitters that you were talkin about last year?

What if you put some kinda mini driver in the res and hit it with the same cymatic frequency of the earths vibrations, wonder if the roots can sense the patterns.

I suppose that already happens to some extent, but what if you could tune the vibrations in the water itself, and alter the way oxygen and nutrients are taken up. Or trick the plant into thinking its in the ground, etc..

I like watching cymatic bubble pattern vids, and the guy that adds copper dust into the solutions over his homemade sub woofer drivers.. i keep wondering how that could affect roots in a DWC environment.

I think I missed answering this

Yes I hve the 2020 using one emitter in this ~ 4 g rez. I might need to cut the on time back to ~ 15 minutes, though it might not matter

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Making fresh veg for 2 babies (2 did not make it) and bloom nutes for the 2 remaining in the bubbler, though they just aren't fattening up as I expected.

I am using Hydroponic Research for the babies and EH Bloom for the 2 left in bubbler; also have 3 more in coco outdoors. All tiny

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
even though pH and EC were well within recommended tolerances, fresh nutes definitely perked up the plants

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I moved the 2 remaining budding plants outside yesterday. 5 now in coco. The roots have some new growth, but not what it should be, so not expecting much improvement in size/bud volume from where they are, but a little something is better than nothing

I changed the bubbler nutes to Hydroponic Research + ~ 200ppm CaMg and dropped the 2 TB seedlings that I had been hand watering into the bubbler

Then I dropped 2 more Triple berry seeds into water + some Kelp juice yesterday

kookied

You have said you use flooming, to oxygenate your nute reservoir using a pump. I wonder why? When using a aquarium airlift system will do the same and has a better O2 diffusion, when used in a flooming system. No air stone needed, just a air line to the lift. Using a pump adds heat and needs more to maintain.
Such airlift could be set up in each "grow bucket"
Just a thought, keep up the good work:tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for taking the time, but it's not a simple DIY, and it requires compressed air

Now cheap compressors are available from Harbor Freight, but then one needs an automated system to replenish the air (which may not be incorporated?) + a separate timer, no?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oil-free-hotdog-air-compressor-69269.html

IMO, simpler to use a low pressure pump with riser and return to rez, or maybe a venturi, connected to a timer. Even a small 160 gph pump only needs to pump for a couple minutes per hour even in a ~ 50 gallon rez. I 've done that before in my F & D rezes

But now I have a O2Grow 2020 emitter which should eliminate the venturi

kookied

I see, didn't watch the videos, only a small air pump is needed. Any way to each their own. A O2Grow 2020 emitter is a membrane system also a very good system. Thanks for the reply .

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am not happy with the new batch of coco pods. Seems they changed something, which I assume is the quality of the coco

Just yesterday (5 days from dropping into coco AFTER they cracked!!!), the 2 new Triple B seedlings broke ground.

Also, the first 2 seedlings from the newest batch of triple B have yet to root properly, which has not been a problem in past use of the pods

This means a lot more nursing and coaxing to get this new grow started

Anybody have a better solution to start seeds?

DiverDave

Another Way!

Another Way!

I am not happy with the new batch of coco pods. Seems they changed something, which I assume is the quality of the coco

Just yesterday (5 days from dropping into coco AFTER they cracked!!!), the 2 new Triple B seedlings broke ground.

Also, the first 2 seedlings from the newest batch of triple B have yet to root properly, which has not been a problem in past use of the pods

This means a lot more nursing and coaxing to get this new grow started

Anybody have a better solution to start seeds?

I hear about coca , we have coconuts here and use it to wrap trees before we make cuts from then .. but never my used it for my 'planets'.
I did buy rockwell squares but also never used them after hearing things about it.
I paper towel germinate my beans then into potting soil (peat moss) and after
they are tall enough I soak the roots clean as I can before I put a collar on each one to go into the hydro cage for the rest of their lives.
Works for me .. maybe not for all others .. but figured I'de share.

DD

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using the same method, the 2 new seedlings tap roots are already sticking out the bottom of their net pots :woohoo:

The older 2 are still idling but no idea why as all 4 are in the same hydro under the same light

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Oddities abound. 3/4 outdoor plants are doing well considering their start in life. The droopy plant has been like this for several weeks, BUT, we had a heavy rain 5 nights ago and the next morning it was perked up looking all healthy. And now back to near death. I gave it a heavy watering this morning to see

Looking at mature photos from Browntrouts site, these are a small strain, with little side branching

The 2 youngest seedlings of 4 in my bubbler have had roots for over a week, whereas the 2 older still have none exiting the netpots.

I have been nurturing those 2, using small amounts of nutrient and treating them like a typical F & D where I only watered them 3xs a day , keeping them out of the bubbler. Only in the last 3 days have they 'perked up', finally showing signs of coming around, but still no roots. Yesterday I put them back in the bubbler

I decided to double and triple the netpots to give them more air space above the water line in the bubbler, hoping the roots would seek out the water below

View attachment 489548 View attachment 489549

View attachment 489550 View attachment 489551

View attachment 489552

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally, the plant in the lower left (previous picture) is popping roots out one corner, alas, the other one still has no roots and is idling

RockinRobot

I'm sure you'll disregard the advice but, you have root rot issues. Don't matter what you feed it won't help till you kill that off.

If you're having heat issues then switch to a normal flood and drain with 3X/day flood, where the media can dry out between floods.

Either way I would run some peroxide to sterilize and kill that off.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure you'll disregard the advice but, you have root rot issues. Don't matter what you feed it won't help till you kill that off.

If you're having heat issues then switch to a normal flood and drain with 3X/day flood, where the media can dry out between floods.

Either way I would run some peroxide to sterilize and kill that off.

Thanks for your input. :tiphat: I know you're shocked. Most definitely root rot.

I started soaking in h202 yesterday, but

This morning I moved a puffed out coco pod that I was using to support one of the plants and noticed it was wet. The light bulb turned on. The coco pellets are the source, as I noticed they stay wet in the bubbler. Apparently not designed for constant wetting from the bubbler. I thought about lowering the water line but first I added a second net pot with some small marbles in between raising the coco pellet ~ 1/2", so that the coco doesn't get so wet. All 4 are now outside the bubbler. I will lightly hand feed 1- 2Xs/day until they recover, then back into the bubbler

Once they recover I will reintroduce the O2Grow 2020

RockinRobot

The problem is the root temps. I've see you post numerous times how warm your grow gets.

I found out the hard way that if you cant keep root temps in the low 70s or lower you're gonna get rot in an always wet system (DWC,AERO,NFT). That's why I ended up in flood and drain with hydroton.

Both my veg and flower rooms run warm. Even in flood and drain, although my reservoir temps never get above 74, my root zone being closer to the lights easily reached 80+. Anything over 4 floods and I get rot. I once tried more frequent floods thinking it would keep the root zone cool instead it warmed the reservoir more.

That being said I use 2 gallon fabric pots folded down filled with hydroton and regularly pull 1/4lb per plant with room temps of 70 lights out and 85 lights on with zero rot, and not using any additives to keep it away. I run straight Maxi Bloom with liquid Kool Bloom and Mammoth P and nothing else.

Here's my current veg area and flower room. Flowers are at almost 3 weeks.

picture.php

picture.php