What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Balubaba

I'm about to do a test run with some canary sized cobs of the gnarly, barely popcorn buds, if that, from my failed outdoor grow..

Just roughly trimmed away leaves and snipped the raisin sized buds of the stem and put in paper bags...
"Dry until almost smokable, still alive".. not sure how to guage that, but I'm guessing this larf will dry so fast that it might go from a bit too wet to a bit too dry over night?

All milky white, and would like to get some energy out of it..
Any suggestion for sweat and ferment, temp and time?

Also thinking of doing an extra cob with the trim for a controlled decarb, before extracting in oil... I've fucked up my stash on decarb too many times.. anyone tried cobbing leaves only before?

Experimentation FTW 🥳

301444813_1051694469044293_4809556876976433185_n.jpg

Last edited:

revegeta666

Your one of the good guys, No?
None of us are the good guys mate, we are all spoiled and rotten in our own way. Only the Lord Jesus Chr-- ok it looks like I'm still drunk from last night :D

Also, to contribute something to the thread, these are the little sativas I will hopefully make my first few cobs with, if nothing goes wrong. Cross is Zamal fil rouge x Jamaica Blue Mountain by friend of the forum Mustafunk.
IMG_20220827_091316.jpg

IMG_20220827_091433.jpg

They are in small pots for stealth reasons. But I have 6 females. Here they are protected by my silly dog.
IMG_20220827_103943.jpg

I'm not exaggerating he's really silly.
IMG_20220827_103835.jpg

Not exaggerating at all.
IMG_20220828_121926.jpg

Have a nice Sunday.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I'm about to do a test run with some canary sized cobs of the gnarly, barely popcorn buds, if that, from my failed outdoor grow..

Just roughly trimmed away leaves and snipped the raisin sized buds of the stem and put in paper bags...
"Dry until almost smokable, still alive".. not sure how to guage that, but I'm guessing this larf will dry so fast that it might go from a bit too wet to a bit too dry over night?

Also thinking of doing an extra cob with the trim for a controlled decarb, before extracting in oil... I've fucked up my stash on decarb too many times.. anyone tried cobbing leaves only before?

Experimentation FTW 🥳

Hi @Balubaba , I'm just about to go out to have my wound attended too, but if no one else has replied I will write when I get back home.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
None of us are the good guys mate, we are all spoiled and rotten in our own way. Only the Lord Jesus Chr-- ok it looks like I'm still drunk from last night :D

Also, to contribute something to the thread, these are the little sativas I will hopefully make my first few cobs with, if nothing goes wrong. Cross is Zamal fil rouge x Jamaica Blue Mountain by friend of the forum Mustafunk.
They are in small pots for stealth reasons. But I have 6 females. Here they are protected by my silly dog.

Not exaggerating at all.

Have a nice Sunday.
Plants and dog both looking good.

Looking forward to watching your progress with the cobs.

The biggest problem with making and eating cobs is it's addictive; I'm pretty sure that once you've tried some 6 month old cob, you'll not want to go back to the "old" way of doing things.

One of the best thigs I've found, (not including the improved high), is that I no longer feel the need to spark up a spliff first thing. I've been up and about for 5 hrs and haven't yet had anything!. For me that's unheard of in over 45yrs!
Time for a little much. Think today I'll start off with a little (0.2g) Panama (red pheno).

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

Experimentation FTW 🥳

Hi @Balubaba ,

It's really good that your going to give it a go.

You'll love it, it's a way of life.
(Frank Zappa)

You can use any material that you have, but please remember the old adage "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear". Use your best buds and you'll be glad you did; it's very difficult to mess up the process and whilst it's possible to make cobs that are not so nice, they will still work and at the end of the day they can be smoked just like regular cured bud (it'll just smoke smoother, taste better and most prefer the different high).

As regards the moisture content of the starting material. I think that most of us when we first start out tend to use material that's too wet; being frightened that if it's too dry, then the process won't work and that our precious harvest will be wasted. The worse that could happen if it's too dry, is that it won't ferment and you'll end up with compressed weed that will still smoke ok.
So, how dry? I like to take mine at the same stage that I would normally put it into jars for it's slow curing; if you skinned one up, you'd be re lighting it all the time to get it to burn.
I've seen weed that was supposed to be dry enough for long term storage in a vac bag, ferment over a period of a year when left at warm room temperature. (and very nice it is too!; I'm hoping to try a little bit again soon when our friends arrive for their holiday)

I've tried many temperatures and timings for the sweat and ferment. As I guide I'd suggest 35c for the sweat. Somewhere between 6-12hrs for the sweat should be sufficient to get thing started. Don't worry if you don't get beads of sweat on the inside of the bag, although they will often appear once the bag has cooled somewhat after the the sweat. You will notice that the bag feels a little less compressed than it did. What you really ought to be checking for is a little colour change.

Once you are happy that the sweat has happened ie. the fermentation process has started, we want to slow the process down so that we have better control over it and can more easily get the results (smells and colour and effects) that we desire. It's really important to allow the surface of the cob to dry well (if it's visibly wet when it comes out of the bag after the sweat then dry, it with paper towel initially). This surface drying will take longer than just a few hours; possibly a day or two. You may be surprised how much moisture is still inside the cob even after several days drying.

After it's well dry on the surface, re vac and leave it somewhere warm (35c is good but lower is ok too) for a least a week (you can go much longer, especially if the cob was really dried well after sweating). Open weekly and sniff until you get the special smell. It's better in the beginning to open weekly. As your cobbing skills improve, and they will, you don't need to open so often. Let your nose and instincts tell you when things are ready.

I see no reason why cobbing leaves won't work. I know that our beloved teacher likes to use the sugar leaves alongside of the buds. I personally trim mine, but that's mainly because Mrs Dm absolutely loves trimming up weed and always has. Cobbing leaves would certainly be a way to decarbed them and the resulting oil that your making will have an extra dimension to it.

Experimentation is the way to go. Last harvest I did different starting moisture contents, compressions, sweat temps and times and ferment temps and time. One experiment I did do that worked well, was mixing some 2yr old dry weed with some fairly moist bud, (a bit more moist than I would usually use) and fermenting that. It worked really well and is my hardest hitting cob; It's not for the faint hearted at all. It was made from some very strong Malawi and a strong Super Malawi Haze, so not surprising it's super potent.

This initially was going to be a brief answer to your question but has turned into a mad ramble; Possibly something to do with the 0.21g of 9 month old Panama cob that I ate a hour ago.
It was a very long ferment and it's quite dark. The smell is of milk chocolate! Today is the first time that we've tried this different cob and it's coming on very strongly.

Tangwena

Veteran

View attachment 18749473
View attachment 18749475

View attachment 18749476

View attachment 18749477

Not exaggerating at all.
View attachment 18749478

Have a nice Sunday.
Lovely looking plants man and nice genetic mix they should produce a very interesting high.
Hombre is spot on with his thoughts on cobbing and its good advice to take.
I think you will enjoy curing such weed this way it really really brings out the best in it.