What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Understanding the Art of LST - Before You Look at Any Pics, Read This First

Any plant can be grown using LST, but like stated above the best ones are crosses where you have around 60% indica, 40% sativa. I'm growing my own cross right now which is ice and ww. I'm also growing white rhino. I started the WR 2 weeks before the cross knowing that it would be a tough plant to train, but right now my cross is twice the size as the wr. I have grown other indica's which do the same, but I will say this.. I grew NL from aloha seeds years ago, vegged it 7 weeks, had very few side branches, but it was still trainable and that plant yeilded close to 8 oz's of big fat juicy buds. So my advice, take it or leave it, is to buy a strain that is 50/50, 60/40.
Peace out.

Alice? Who the fuck is Alice!

Alice? Who the fuck is Alice!

mrcheezy503 said:
who the fucks the zoo..

Zoo(lander) is a prominent forum member. We often refer to him as Zoo, i believe he had a name change lately though. Leonidas is his new pen name.

Nice job mate!

Last edited:

Quazi

Thanks and More Info (Photos)

Thanks and More Info (Photos)

greenisgold: thanks for the additional information. It's the different strains of cannabis that make this hobby interesting. If it was just the same all the time then it wouldn't be any fun!

Zoo: wherever you are: thanks!

mrcheezy503: from the looks of the photos in your thread, it looks like a ScrOG would be optimal. You can start by LSTing and then putting a screen over the top. I have a feeling that I'm going to be trying it soon. Maybe I'll have to post a guide to understanding ScrOGging too soon?

Navigator330: thanks for stopping by and setting them straight!

ambr0sia: glad to be of assistance. The LST looks stellar man.

Now then, the real reason I came here. But first:

:bongsmi:

So, to add to this thread, I thought I should post some photos of some LST that was done too late so that you can know when LST is a bad thing. I find that you can learn much more from others' mistakes instead of their successes.

I took them after the following thread was posted:
Do I really have to wait a Month after lst to flower
You can visit the thread to see my response but I thought some of it was worth posting here.

The gist of it is that LST is done for similar reasons that ScrOGging is done: to get lots of nice budsites and an even canopy. While you can train after flowering starts, you should be careful not to train too late otherwise you might catch the plant at the end of the 12/12 flip-stretch.

Here's some training that was done some weeks into flowering. There was a branch that was getting out of control and growing far away from the plant, horizontally:

I trained it back towards the stem with a long piece:

This was in addition to the other training was done at a prior time:

Unfortunately, that last bit of training was just a bit too late and the bud-site did not get a chance to stretch up before the buds started developing. I removed the training, but to no avail. I considered tying the bud up but the stem on this was so strong that I didn't want to risk breaking it:

You can see how it is not even with the other tips in the canopy near the 150W:

The bud is still developing wonderfully, but it's not in the location that I would have liked it to be in:

Anyway. Just thought I'd share that with everyone in case anyone else was wondering about training in flowering.

-Q :rasta:

Excellent thread.

I did some LST on my first grow earlier this year and it worked out well as I ended up with 120g dry after all was said and done.

The early LST I was doing was moreso "emergency" LST to keep the plants from growing into the HPS. Seeing as I had no string at the time it had to be done with dental floss. :muahaha:

Next time around I will be starting much sooner.

Quazi, I hope you are cool with this...
Some of you may have seen the threads I'm about to post, some may not. Delta is the guy that pretty much termed it LST and mymusicveins was another that had been doing this form of training for years. These threads were actually from OG years before gardensecure posted it. I have been growing this way on and off for 20 some odd years. I started doing it outdoors on a deck where I had to keep the plants a certain height and found that I was on to something but was not sure what. I then went back to growing in the fields where there was no need to LST. I then started growing indoors and came upon this thread and I have never looked back. People, read this thread as this guy delta is one hell of a grower and knows his poop when it comes to botany. The guy is also a guru when it comes to ferts as he also had a thread where he explains fertigation. A technique where you fertilize everyday with nutes you put together yourself, and then wash them out and start over the next day (he used a computer and auto drip). I tried it, but I'm just not that good of a grower. And remember this folks: Calcium is the carrier and when one does lots of LST, the plants need mucho Calcium. You will read about it as well. Calcium is one the most overlooked ferts.
If you are really into it, then take notes as there is alot of info. that can be pulled out of this thread. What's a bummer is that he was a great resource at one time and then just up and left the forums. Same with mymusicveins and good ol uncleben.
One other thing, delta had it dialed in, sure there are better growers that yield more, but in a room that is 7x7 he was ave 5lbs of weed off of very few plants and pretty much around 1000 watts.
Peace
Delta..
http://www.gardenscure.com/420/trai...lta9420s-low-stress-training-lst-example.html
Music..
http://www.gardenscure.com/420/trai.../63090-low-stress-training-lst-more-walk.html

Last edited:

Quazi

Thanks for the additional links to add info to the thread, greenisgold!

Those thread provide some great photographic examples of the technique as well as talk about the FIM technique, which isn't explored here.

I hadn't read those before doing this writeup and they are quite excellent.

Great stuff.

-Q :rasta:

About calcium...... big ups to greenisgold! most people dont realize it but you should give a nice dose of Cal- Mag after two weeks into flower. Calcium and also silica play a big role in the turgidity (strength) of the plants. This keeps the stems standing up str8!

Navigator330 said:
About calcium...... big ups to greenisgold! most people dont realize it but you should give a nice dose of Cal- Mag after two weeks into flower. Calcium and also silica play a big role in the turgidity (strength) of the plants. This keeps the stems standing up str8!
I too am a true believer in the benefits of using silica. I use a product called silica blast and did a side by side with clones. The one I used silica on is much stronger, not as lanky and started packing on bud weight faster. It was just an all around healthier plant.
Peace

GrüneErd

Quazi, i read this thread a little while back and decided that i'd go ahead and start tryin to dial in the art of successful LSTing. Thanks man, it's been a big help. hope you don't mind a couple pics of what this thread showed me:
Nirvana Papaya, Indica pheno:
papayaC.jpg

Nirvana Papaya, Stretchy pheno:
papayaA.jpg

Ministry of Cannabis Hollands Hope:
hhopeA.jpg

no doubt these girls will have nice budsites when they're done. thanks man.
peace

C

Cozy Amnesia

LST, when done with the right strain, will work wonders.

When done with the wrong strain...it looks like this:

Lol, that strain in DP Mastkush if anyone is interested, and yes, it stretches A LOT!

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Another amazing thread from Quazi =] Gotta tip my hat at ya again man; you have a lot of knowledge, are a great teacher, and we love you for it ;)

GrüneErd - That is some great LST work! Nice job!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Cozy Amnesia said:
LST, when done with the right strain, will work wonders.

When done with the wrong strain...it looks like this:

Lol, that strain in DP Mastkush if anyone is interested, and yes, it stretches A LOT!

you either overveged it, or stopped training after inducing flower. sativas are more work for sure but still easily controlled.

bbing

Quazi and all the rest of you that think you can strap any strain into bondage with a desirable result should issue a challenge (for fun of course). Any sativa freakas who doubt you can handle their ladies with whips and chains should arrange for you to get some beans, which of course would be up to you to "show them how its done" and show us as well.

Bring the stretchies! :muahaha:

Mt Toaker

I'm doing LST for the first time and it is giving me great results so far. I just started flowering 3 days ago.

I think I did a good job, wish you guys could see the other plants but the camera died after this shot.

LST mastered!

LST mastered!

Here's a sativa dominant selection from my current grow.

I used to use yarn tied around screws embedded in the sides of my pots. That was a major pain in the arse. Since then, I've switched to pipe cleaners tied to heavy duty paper clips.

The clips attach easily to my hempy buckets.

And, voila! What should be a stretchy pain to deal with is now a super dense canopy. I'll have some post 12/12 stretch photos to share in a couple of weeks. Rock on, folks.