What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swazi Red (Afropips)

Roms

Veteran
Now Kingdom of Eswatini

picture.php

Afropips description :
Swazi roolbaard from the top swazi breeder in nkomati region of swaziland. Roolbaard wich is afrikaans for red beard gets its name from and is renowned for its spectacular red bud hairs. Swazi is a high yielding and resinous pure african landrace sativa wich produces a strong natural high. The strain has a long odour, wich has been compared to a fine cigar and an earthy smoke with a high that is energetic and clear. Buds on this plant can reach the size of an adults forearm and ary typically compact and very sticky. This famous strain is enjoyed by many south africans.

I worked the line for F2 in 2011 with 8 females and one male. The seeds were then shared with a lot of friends, from Africa to California.

I had the chance to find a female with particular terps cocacola acid smell, its F2 batch had been separated and now IBL. @purple clouds helped me greatly with his F3 preservation work of my cocacola mom and now i play its pure F4 project.

This landrace from South Africa is really special with its blue green and its two different lines and variation. The "Gold" and the "Black" like few other pure old sativa.

The Gold type of plant are branchy and develop nice yield with a clean energic high and good honeyed soft fruity spicy pepper smell and taste.

The Black type has different structure more lance with less yield but the plants are more resinous, very sticky properties and the smoking is more dark, gunpowder, metallic, cigar, pepper, hard for the throat even if plants have a sweet honey smell, almond anise. Effects are stronger energic too, heartbeat, trippy and heavy understones.

Well by the pleasure to share what i think to know about that special shit, big up, some specimen would produce amazing extractions and extraordinary sticky hasch!

Last edited:

Roms

Veteran
One of the three moms for the current F4 project.

picture.php

Only 3 moms but i'm glad to have and keep the two different structures branchy and lance, the third is a bit dwarf and branchy (dwarfism is also a classic kind of pheno for the Swaz). The only male is big and branchy so like a kind of the Gold line, that makes me think of its next step F5 that should be focused back to the Black type.

Red October

How do you find the longevity of the high? Your descriptions on the two types are spot on, I always assumed the darker skunkier version was from foreign genetics as the gold was much more prevalent when I first started smoking. We can still get Swazi gold and the smell is still pretty much the same but the high has become very short lived and tolerance seems to build up quickly, this is probably just from my own excessive tolerance levels.

Roms

Veteran
Ya bro the Gold type has always been prefered and selected by westerners, better resistance to mold and better yield principaly but in terms of potency it's the other dark side which is more powerful and really durable! ;)

The South African poison legend comes from that Black type more resinous and pepper metallic spicy. Its electric high is really stronger and can be dangerous for the heart, not comfortable thing, also much more trippy understone experiences in facts! That Gold and Black summary is also valid with most others pure sativa but with the South Africans strains like Zamala, Malawi and Swazi it's really prevailing imho.

So due to the inbreeding it's no wonder that some Gold type selections become softer and more clean with time...

Red October

Thanks man, that's excellent info for me. I never thought of the distinction between them like that and always assumed it was outside genetics. We used to have a blast smoking this stuff as kids but the magic seems to be gone in the batches we get now. I always thought it was my tolerance limits but maybe I should put in some effort and track down some good seeds as I haven't found anything that gives me the same affect as your describing here and I really miss it.

Roms

Veteran
Thanks man, that's excellent info for me. I never thought of the distinction between them like that and always assumed it was outside genetics. We used to have a blast smoking this stuff as kids but the magic seems to be gone in the batches we get now. I always thought it was my tolerance limits but maybe I should put in some effort and track down some good seeds as I haven't found anything that gives me the same affect as your describing here and I really miss it.

Oh you live in S.A.?

Chances are to refind the old Gold vibes and also by discover its Black side btw! Sadly rarer nowadays but if you are in situ somewhere in the great S.A. the goal would be to meet the old farmers aware of their culture in all senses. In the Eswatini and Mozambique areas far from towns the old poison/medicine must be alive and strong i guess. With the special blue green as a good sign of the old Swazi genetics i think.

Big thanks and respect to Afropips to allowed me to discover all that here 12K km away! + in absolute the old meet and connexion mind between South Africa and Austronesia/South Asia. A same blue green gold and black variability i found.

Red October

Yeah I'm in SA but the last time I found good Swazi was probably about 15 years ago, my gardener brought me some a couple of weeks ago and it did still smell like the gold type. Musky caramel and it actually had the same initial onset but faded within 40 min and lost effectiveness after the first time, which is what I find mostly nowadays with what I've been smoking.

I always preferred the high of Lesotho varieties, they had the similar metallic smell but where alot cleaner and slightly more euphoric but still had that heart racing, slight anxiety/paranoia affect. But this would vary greatly throughout the years.

Trying my hand at destroyer now as many have said the Lesotho and Thai varieties are quite similar in effect, so let's hope for the best:)

Roms

Veteran
Yeah i would suggest you the Zamal qualité poivre too but some Lesotho or Kwazulu Natal and Malawi have also that special power thanks to confirm that, good run and grow with Kaiki's Destroyer! :) Dubi's Golden Tiger or Zamaldelica thoughts too, i think his Malawi selection is well Black retouched.

Red October

Thank you for that, the Mozambiquien varieties have peaked my interest most, basing my thoughts on the zamal and relations between Madagascar and Durban poison varieties of old. With your reference to zamal do you mean the French touch variety? The flowering time puts me off a bit but if it is what I am looking for I can always try my best;)

I did get the ace super Malawi haze as I wanted to cross it with the destroyer for a similar pairing as the golden tiger, if I find the right phenos. So far the destroyers have been the most exciting, I like the variation they display.

Roms

Veteran
The Zamal poivre means pepper and "red" but yes long flowering Thai and South Asian type. The Mozambique is better sure, the faster flowering of the Swazi is also something special and unique for pure sativa. Btw i found the Gold generaly longer in flowertime. ^^

Roms

Veteran
I always preferred the high of Lesotho varieties, they had the similar metallic smell but where alot cleaner and slightly more euphoric but still had that heart racing, slight anxiety/paranoia affect.

Indeed the euphoric energy and heart racing are signs of the most potent ones from the Black side i think. A kind of weed to appreciate with efforts and physical moves, like a dope, otherwise it's poison if you stay quiet and relax! I think that this anxiety paranoia effects can be regulate by the physical activity maybe...

Not surprising to know that the Swazi old warriors used to smoke before going to fight. ^^ Personally i experienced funny trippy feelings by making love, swimming, dancing, bike... You feel like an animal power inside almost hearing your blood circulating in the body lol.

Rastak'

I used to smoke a Zamal strain called "mangue carotte" with a friend from la réunion. Better in all the points than the one called "menthe poivrée" he had too.

Roms

Veteran
Yes Zamal is another world compared to Swaz but there's connexions i guess, carrot and pepper principally. The fruity thing doesn't really live with my line Swaz, the same with less minty so different. Hey Rastak bro please ask your friend if you can, maybe he knows another "qualité poivre" without or less minty. Maybe more earthy, leather, clove or differently spicy i mean.

Red October

Not surprising to know that the Swazi old warriors used to smoke before going to fight. ^^ Personally i experienced funny trippy feelings by making love, swimming, dancing, bike... You feel like an animal power inside almost hearing your blood circulating in the body lol.
definitely, it would work in waves and become more manic for short bursts with an electric body charge. Many thanks for your insights and thoughts, it's given me quite a bit to think about and consider as these affects are what I am looking for.

I'll try and get the correct zamal variety for next year's summer run.