What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sativa 2ND week VEG problems

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You need to run the lights 18 hrs on and 6 off for veg. and when the plants get about knee high, flip the hours to 12 on and 12 off. Also use clean water if you can find some, and water until you get a little runoff out the bottom and then allow the top inch to dry before watering again.

ArcticHerbsman

Hey Mateiro, did you run them under ledlight also previous round? I had Ethiopian under led and needed to add dolomite lime in the water for them to manage, used small teaspoon in ca 2ltr/half gallon. Also temperature needed to be higher, some people on here recommend 30celcius, and that has given best results for me so far.
If you try the dolomite lime it takes maybe week before you see good results, more experienced eyes can maybe also tell you more about your plant symptoms. They do look little bit dry at least in the top of the pot. Best of luck bro, Ethiopian is wonderful hope you can figure it out!

Mateiro

Hey Mateiro, did you run them under ledlight also previous round? I had Ethiopian under led and needed to add dolomite lime in the water for them to manage, used small teaspoon in ca 2ltr/half gallon. Also temperature needed to be higher, some people on here recommend 30celcius, and that has given best results for me so far.
If you try the dolomite lime it takes maybe week before you see good results, more experienced eyes can maybe also tell you more about your plant symptoms. They do look little bit dry at least in the top of the pot. Best of luck bro, Ethiopian is wonderful hope you can figure it out!

I think you right. I am always do my soil mix with dolomite to stabilize PH. This is second run under qb. Many people's on this forum telling about qb that is give a magnesium deficiency. I don't know how but it is. Last two days I read more about my problems. Yesterday I feeded it with Ripen ( about 350 ppm with RO water). PK for roots and to solving
problems with thin leaf and Mg/S according to qb issue.

Drainage was about 660 ppm.

Also I give a tiny portion of dry worm castings and alfalfa meal on top of the soil. Then I watering pots with Ripen ( 70 ml/ 0,5 l pot). 24 hours passed since I watered it. I'll give you a new updated pix today. Let's see maybe something change.

Thanks to all guys.

Mateiro

You need to run the lights 18 hrs on and 6 off for veg. and when the plants get about knee high, flip the hours to 12 on and 12 off. Also use clean water if you can find some, and water until you get a little runoff out the bottom and then allow the top inch to dry before watering again.

Why?

GoatCheese

Veteran
View Image

View Image

View Image

Hi guys! Please, anyone help, this is my second grow and second run Ace seeds Ethiopian sativa.

Kingbrite HLG 550 480 w dimmed to 100 w, 24" from top.

Clip fan work mostly as a cooler for led driver ( do not spread directly to seedlings)

50-60 %, 25 C.

Started in light custom soil with light organic compost tea with 14/10 then flipped to 11/13.
15 days now.

Watering is 70 ml in 24 hours started from day 5.

The problem now is yellowing and thin droopy leafs and then necrosis...

Sorry for my English. I am really need your help guys. Thanks.
The medium is way too dry 100%! The damage is caused by under watering and powerful leds drying out the leaf.

Stop watering them just a little everyday and start watering them more but maybe every other day ..depending on the situation of course. So when you water them, make sure some water/nutes run out of the bottom of the pot so that you know water has reached the whole length of the container.
..but easy to over compensate and start watering them too much, so look out for that too.

Now that the pots are quite dry, try the get familiar with how that feels in your hands compared to how much the pot weighs in your hands when you’ve just watered the plant. When you learn how dry/still abit moist/wet soil feels like in your hands, then you can get an idea how much there’s still moisture in the soil just by lifting the pot up a bit.

Yea, but in short, the medium is way, way too dry, mate! So start watering them more.

Mateiro

ok, following the recommendations of ACE seeds, I added power up to 320 watts. Young leaves began to pray. Necrosis continues on older leaves. Looks like a deficiency in magnesium potassium and sulfur.

I changed the light mode to 18/6. I've read reports with African strains and they all start at 18/6.

I always weigh the pots after watering.

jwm

Veteran
Hi Matero-
You may want to look into a super soil mix. For years I wrestled w/ the latest and greatest products / cocktails. Had mixed results depending on the strain. If your interest is in growing one or two strains only, you can figure out w/ time, what and how much delivers best results. But, if you're into trying as many as possible of the great genetics that are available, super soil works well.
I do super soil now and love it.
Why not make available the nutes your plants will need at the various stages of growth and let them take what they need, when they need it.
Makes sense right?
Depending on the strain and environment, etc...You may need to add a bit of organics/microbes from time to time. But, generally very little.
No more measuring and such. So much easier AND BETTER RESULTS.
Just my experience, inside or out...

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 33
ok, following the recommendations of ACE seeds, I added power up to 320 watts. Young leaves began to pray. Necrosis continues on older leaves. Looks like a deficiency in magnesium potassium and sulfur.

I changed the light mode to 18/6. I've read reports with African strains and they all start at 18/6.

I always weigh the pots after watering.
Mateiro you have good taste. African sativas are very powerful herbs.

Your problem is not the light. The problem is the medium. You problably have nutrient problems and / or moisture level issues. I hope you can fix it. Good luck!

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi.
It’s not a nute deficiency of any kind, it’ under watering damage. When I ran my COBs too hot at first and the plants dried out, they started look just like your’s.
Notice the difference in soil color comparing the photos from your earlier run to the photos you included in the starting post = Notice how the soil is much darker color than in the photos in your first post, in which the soil looks light brown and very dry? = you watered your plants better during the earlier run.

When you’re underwatering your plants, turning the led light up will only fry your plants even more. What I would do, is turn the LED abit lower till you see your plants look better and turn it back up abit when you see a good response from your plants.

It will take up to a week till your plants will start to look better, it won’t happen over night.

I have a 75w dimmable Cree COB in my veg cab and I can only run it at about 20-23 watts when the tops are about 60-70 cm away from the COB or my plants will start looking just like your plants, esp. if the soil gets too dry in small pots. In my flowering tent I run my 3 Cree COBS at about 85 watts tops 50 cm away from the COBs.
..So I think you run your led quite hot with 300+ watts.

Also, HLG web site talk about veg foot print at 36 inches high for HLG 550 V2, so if you have your light at 20 inches running with over 300 watts it’s no surprise your plants look fried.

My plants looked just as bad when I switched to powerful modern COBS/Leds till I realized how powerful these lights really are compared to fluoros or small HPS lights. I had a 110 W (2 x 55w) fluoro light in my veg cab before I bought my COB, which is much, much more powerful light @ under 25 watts compared to the 110W fluoro. So I would turn your led down abit till your plants get better. Imo 300+ watts is way too much esp. when you’re underwatering them abit.

https://www.horticulturelightinggro...lighting-group-hlg/194-hlg-550-v2-r-spec.html

Mateiro

First two weeks I run my led at about 100 w. I think you're right here talking about dry pots!

Previous grow was in 3 a liter pots and this grow I take 0.5. That's why previous being more lucky.

Today I will dim my lights to 100 watts and take a week with good watering, not over...

GoatCheese, :thank you: buddy :bow:

acespicoli

best things I learned in 30+ years growing

1.) nothing will kill a plant faster than fungus gnat larva
except maybe aphids - lady bugs love to eat pests

2.) let the soil go thru wet and almost completely dry cycles when watering.
its a huge mistake waterlogged seeding - only need table spoons of water at a time
also best to wick from the bottom of net or fabric pots, small plant use smaller container
it can always be potted up sized later

3.) more is not always better in the case of fertilizer - especially in organic soil mix
only need EWC earthworm castings in early stages ewc will not burn young plants.

Best luck, check soil for pest larvae and under leaves always first

Last edited:

Mateiro

Acespicoli, yes! it has fungus gnat larva. I saw 1 maybe 2 black gnats. I give insects on the top of the pots before I put my seeds in the soil.

Today I am not seeing that gnats anymore. What do you recommend?

GoatCheese

Veteran
First two weeks I run my led at about 100 w. I think you're right here talking about dry pots!

Previous grow was in 3 a liter pots and this grow I take 0.5. That's why previous being more lucky.

Today I will dim my lights to 100 watts and take a week with good watering, not over...

GoatCheese, :thank you: buddy :bow:
Yea, 0.5 litre pots are difficult to deal with under powerful leds, cause they dry out fast and then leaf damage from lack of moisture will cause difficulties very fast. I grow in very small veg pots (2dl – 6dl)and the plants will complain very soon if the tiny pots run out of moisture, and because they are already in somewhat stressed state for being root bound.

You might wanna re-pot them into larger containers, like those 3 litre pots you mentioned. Flowering plants under high intensity lights in tiny pots is a real bitch to deal with= you have to check on them daily and as soon as your lights turn on to add more moisture to the soil or you could be in trouble, so it’s easier and less stressful to grow them in slightly larger pots. I’ve flowered a plant in 2 litre rose pot under my Cree COBs and it was daily maintenance cause the pot dried out so fast, with even just 3 litre pots I can most times water them only once every other day.
I’d think your plants would recover abit faster that way, too, if you’d plant them in larger pots.

Yea, water them a bit more and try to take it easy the next week and I’m sure your plants will look better soon enough.:good: